• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get rid of canvas mildew smell?

avpowerstn

Yes, when we did the rug, we hung a 10" piece of PVC pipe (1") between two 6' ladders then used a painters plastic drop cloth to form a tent over the ladders and rug.
We then used duct tape to secure it to my concrete garage floor (spare garage), with the Ozone machine sealed inside the tent with the rug.
I would check it every 6-8 hours opening the big garage door to let the ozone out, that had leaked outside the plastic barrier (you will get leakage NBD).
After about 48 hours the rug had no smell to it at all..It is an antique Bigelow Rug that usually goes for about $1200 -$1700 dollars on Ebay..we paid $40 + shipping.
Steam cleaning it 5 times myself, plus how many times the seller probably tried to clean it, has taken its toll on this rug (fibers have been beaten up after 12 years in "our" house.
I found a company that may be able to refresh this rug...hoping.
The Ozone machine did "no" harm to this rug whatsoever...I am going to research if "HIGH" treatments of Ozone attack plastic, metal, silver , fabric..etc etc
But nature makes her own Ozone...we are just copying her...this is a natural "sterilizer" (just like the Amazon listing states).
bigelow rug 002.jpg

gerrykan

If only I knew about this machine when I forgot and left my truck windows down over night.

This thing would be worth its' weight in gold, if you have ever dealt with a tomcat that marked his territory on upholstery.

Another Ahab

If only I knew about this machine when I forgot and left my truck windows down over night.

This thing would be worth its' weight in gold, if you have ever dealt with a tomcat that marked his territory on upholstery.
I agree with you 100%. If only there was a way to rent one for the few occasions when you'd need it.

iatractor

Something that works great on organic odors is some sort of a cleaner/deodorizer that has a bacterial or enzyme in it. You might try a janitorial supply company. One product that I have used is from Spartan Chemical called consume. I may have a bottle or two around here I can give you.

avpowerstn

Makes perfect sense, instead of trying to mask the odor using febreze.."consume" the odor with bacteria. Combined with an Ozone machine it becomes a 1-2 punch.
I will keep that in mind..Thank You IATractor

avpowerstn

OK I have 3 hours using the Ozone machine...My wife and I just went for a 20 mile cruise..I asked her on a scale from one to ten (1-10) ten being how the M923 smelled when we first brought it home,
how would she rate the odor...she gave it a 3-4 with a "1" being rainforest fresh. That means over half of the odor has been removed after 3 hours of treatment.
I set the timer for another two hours...will post the results.

NV555

I order things that seem like they have come from a Basement on the East Coast sometimes!

Since it is like 110 out here in Vegas I just hang the items out side in direct sunlight. Helps when it is a windy day. After about 24 hours all gone. Really bad cases I will hose down after 24 hours then hang for 48.

Of course I'm sure most of you with the mold smell do not live in the desert where it is over 100 deg and 15% humidity.

avpowerstn

Hello NV555
It was 105 here today...the odor was "not" removed by the heat...in fact I believe the odor is released at a higher percentage when the expansion effects of heat hit my M923 cab..funny I was just telling my
wife that running the Ozone machine in the summer heat probably does a better job, than in the winter cold....lol Humidity is 14% right now (Ambient Weather Station WS2090 ).

Another Ahab

Hello NV555
It was 105 here today...the odor was "not" removed by the heat...in fact I believe the odor is released at a higher percentage when the expansion effects of heat hit my M923 cab..funny I was just telling my
wife that running the Ozone machine in the summer heat probably does a better job, than in the winter cold....lol Humidity is 14% right now (Ambient Weather Station WS2090 ).
14%? Is that it!? Are you in the highlands or something, or a desert zone?

Last edited:

avpowerstn

lol We do go to Las Vegas, and Laughlin (Lake Mojave)..holy cow I remember coming out of Buffalo Bills at 1:30 in the morning and thinking..crap it is 103 degrees and the sun isn't even out..lol
Yes I am in Antelope Valley 50 miles north of Los Angeles by Palmdale. Desert..they take the old airplanes to Mojave airport for storage, our humidity is about 14% most of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks