• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I haul a trailer without using air brakes?

Powder Vitamins

How do haul a trailer without using air brakes?
I want to buy a 1 an 1/4 ton trailer, but I don't have air to run the brakes...
Will the brakes be locked up?
Can I adjust them or something to haul it away?
Thanks in advance...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 1 /4 ton? Are you referring to the 1 1/2T M105 and variants? If so, they will roll free without any air hookups. Air over hydraulics, no air =no brakes (and no breaks from the PoPo if you crash).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1-1/4 ton trailer? Do you mean 1-1/2 ton trailer? Are you talking about an M105, M332, M149, M103, or similar trailer. If so, you don't need air to release the brakes. You can haul them with any pick up truck or other truck that does not have gladhands. With that said, be careful, because, as you probably know, you won't have brakes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries Bruce. Wonder if they can tell that we are on the same page most of the time?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What do you plan on pulling it with???

The trailer by itself is heavy.....if you put a decent sized load on it it will push anything smaller than a 1 ton dually around like a toy especially if there is nothing in the bed of the truck for ballast.

The deuce is the smallest military vehicle that you can pull a M105 with and have air for the brakes.

That being said I pulled a Mobile Kitchen Trailer (based on the M-105 frame) with a Ford F-250 and had no problems...but I was very careful and kept a lot of room between me and the vehicle ahead. I stayed off the interstate and kept my speed below 60 mph.

Ive been thinking. I would love to come up with a system to convert the air brake trailers into surge brake trailers. Some kind of adapter that mounts between the truck and trailer and uses a air tank and compressor and surge type actuator to activate the trailers air brakes.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah< I meant 1 1/2 ton.

I am trying to win an auction for a generator mounted on one of these or on top of a 2 1/2 ton.

Does the same apply for the 2 1/2 ton?
An M105A2 traier is quite heavy, even empty. If you pull it with a military Genset mounted on it, you are talking about a lot of weight. Some of those trailers have two gensets mounted on them. I have pulled an empty M105A2 with a full-size Ford pickup and was very careful. I would not pull this trailer with any kind of load unless you use something much bigger. You also mentioned a 2-1/2 ton (trailer?). You do not want to pull a large/heavy trailer without trailer brakes!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking for a trailer for a civvy truck buy a M101A1 or A2. If you want the genset, sell the trailer.2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive been thinking. I would love to come up with a system to convert the air brake trailers into surge brake trailers. Some kind of adapter that mounts between the truck and trailer and uses a air tank and compressor and surge type actuator to activate the trailers air brakes.
Or you could just use a surge brake setup off of a M101A2 and do away with the air all together.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled a M105 countless miles with My 3/4 ton Dodge. I've added a modified higher hitch on my Dodge so it pulls level. Empty, I can't even tell it's back there. I prefer the M105 over the M101 behind my Dodge just because of the extra bed space.

Unforgiven

Don't most states require functioning trailer brakes on any trailer over 3000lbs GVWR? That puts any of the M105 trailers over the limit for "legally" pulling it without trailer brakes. If you buy it you should consider modifying it for surge brakes. I assume you are looking at an M105A2.

2cents

Powder Vitamins

how many leafs do u have on the back of that chevy and u must have a 454
I actually took 2 leaves out to soften it up...
AND it is a small block.

Don't let that fool you though, it is a crate motor that is fully tuned up with all the tricks. Pulled that 18,000 pound load from california to tennessee NO PROBLEM on every grade!

And people hear it and always think it is a 454. Horse Power Souns Good