• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I haul a trailer without using air brakes?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That genny trailer will whip your azz and eat your lunch.
I have towed them behind an empty deuce and got shoved around.
That is a max towed load even for a deuce......without trailer brakes you will toast the brakes on that Chevy on a moderate downhill grade.
And don't forget the DUMAS factor....some moron in a Honda whips in front of you and slams on the brakes. Even if you don't jacknife it you will not stop in a short distance.
There is also the "wiggle effect".....if that trailer starts whipping back and forth behind you it will jerk that truck around like a ragdoll.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Powder Vitamins

That genny trailer will whip your azz and eat your lunch.
I have towed them behind an empty deuce and got shoved around.
That is a max towed load even for a deuce......without trailer brakes you will toast the brakes on that Chevy on a moderate downhill grade.
And don't forget the DUMAS factor....some moron in a Honda whips in front of you and slams on the brakes. Even if you don't jacknife it you will not stop in a short distance.
There is also the "wiggle effect".....if that trailer starts whipping back and forth behind you it will jerk that truck around like a ragdoll.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Thanks,

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WM isn't kidding. I thought maybe you wanted a 105 with maybe a MEP002 or 003 on it.

I can pull my 105 empty all day long with my 1/2 ton Dodge Hemi 4x4 but if it gets a mind to it will walk me all over the road and there is no way it would stop if I had anything in it.

You are looking at a huge generator and trailer setup. You might be able to move it but you won't stop.

A body in motion staying in motion and all that. Nature's laws are a b$tch.

steve

KsM715

What do you want to power with a genset that size? You'll need a pretty good load on it to keep it running right. Many of the smaller gensets on the 3/4 ton M101 trailers put out enough power to run a small house during a power outage.

ryan77

I wouldnt pull that with out either air brakes oir electric, i pull a bob cat with my 1 ton van and had the electric brakes go out, stopping it was a joke and that was going top speed of 40....Plus your in a truck with a trailer every dumb ass is going to pass you, cut you off and stop suddenly.......Then you have to take smokey bear or aka the law in to the the picture to....Be safe get the proper rig to haul it..

Powder Vitamins

What do you want to power with a genset that size? You'll need a pretty good load on it to keep it running right. Many of the smaller gensets on the 3/4 ton M101 trailers put out enough power to run a small house during a power outage.
Thats what I want it for, my house in an outage.
I don't know much about them except they can be bought cheap and seem to be big power...

I am not planning any road trips with one, just would pull it home.

Who does know about these generators?

Thats good, because I can help my nighbors too.
While it would be nice to help your neighbors out in a power outage, it will cost thousands to run the wiring and install power switches. You need the power switch to switch from the grid to the generator and not backfeed the grid at the same time.

Plus the cost of fueling the beast and maintaining it. I doubt your neighbors will split the cost evenly and you will end up holding the short end of the stick.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Research wetstacking before you buy that genset. Huge power requires huge fuel as well.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you think you want to help the neighbors then help them pick out their own generator set.

In order to power multiple homes you would have to have cable between them and not just an extension cord. That would be some serious money right there.

One last tip, make sure what you buy is 60Hz and not 400Hz.

;-)

Powder Vitamins

If you think you want to help the neighbors then help them pick out their own generator set.

In order to power multiple homes you would have to have cable between them and not just an extension cord. That would be some serious money right there.

One last tip, make sure what you buy is 60Hz and not 400Hz.

;-)
O.K.
60Hz... Anything else I should look for?

I recently watched civilian generators like this in use powering big dehumiifiers etc.
Most of nieghbors were flooded last month here in Nashville.

I also want to be able to run my welder etc....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am on the lookout for a reasonably priced (cheap) MEP-003 as it should be more than enough to power one house in an emergency.

Do a search on Google for information regarding the sizing of generators based on what you want to power. Watts, Volt/Amps and PF (Power Factor) are all things to consider.

steve

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to do some research and look up the term "wet stacking". Running too big of generator for the load is almost as bad as running one too small over time.

You would be better suited with a smaller generator to run your house. A smaller unit would solve your towing problems, not to mention numerous other problems you're going to have with that big generator.