• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I identify my M151A2 ?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anti freeze checked '89? Yours got lucky, at that point, all the surplused M151's were getting the full crush treatment. Can you locate the army registration number, stencilled in black anywhere? If not, you may find this number under coats of paint on the side of the hood. This likely is the same as your VIN.

Grits

Anti freeze checked '89? Yours got lucky, at that point, all the surplused M151's were getting the full crush treatment. Can you locate the army registration number, stencilled in black anywhere? If not, you may find this number under coats of paint on the side of the hood. This likely is the same as your VIN.
How does the registration look.....how many numbers, letters, dashes, etc....?

......BTW, I found the Vin # and sent it to Carmac.....hopefully he'll tell me what year it is....

Last edited:

poppop

Andy, you may be able to back off the adjuster on the rocker all the way, push the rocker to the side and then get the rod in place. Be sure the lifter is down and you should have room to move the rocker back into position. This will save having to lift the valve train but that is not hard to do either.

Grits

Popup.....
Is the adjuster the nut that looks to be a half inch ?...... and is it locked somehow?
Also what do you mean by "lift the valve train" ?
Now that I think about it......if you came down and showed me how just one time, next time I'd know !!

Your best friend in the whole wide world !!
Andy

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the registration look.....how many numbers, letters, dashes, etc....?

......BTW, I found the Vin # and sent it to Carmac.....hopefully he'll tell me what year it is....
What is the VIN? The year is embedded in it.

poppop

Yes Andy, Its the nut that locks the stud that goes in the top of the push rod. Loosen the nut and back the stud all the way out which is up. When the rod is back in place tighten the stud back down. You will need a feeler gauge to set the valve clearance. I don't remember what it is but can look it up for you. The valve train is the shaft with all the rockers on it. Loosen the bolts that hold the shaft and it can be lifted up to replace the pushrod. I still think that is not necessary and you can do it by pushing the one rocker to the side.

Grits

Yes Andy, Its the nut that locks the stud that goes in the top of the push rod. Loosen the nut and back the stud all the way out which is up. When the rod is back in place tighten the stud back down. You will need a feeler gauge to set the valve clearance. I don't remember what it is but can look it up for you. The valve train is the shaft with all the rockers on it. Loosen the bolts that hold the shaft and it can be lifted up to replace the pushrod. I still think that is not necessary and you can do it by pushing the one rocker to the side.
Thanks....I'll go check it out....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think he's saying the nearest 151 to yours in his database was a unit built approximately 89 units before yours.

And that although his 151 is very near yours in terms of serial # (vin), it's registration # is quite far off.

So when he says "not sure how definite your #s are" I'd assume he means "verify what you got!".

Grits

I think he's saying the nearest 151 to yours in his database was a unit built approximately 89 units before yours.

And that although his 151 is very near yours in terms of serial # (vin), it's registration # is quite far off.

So when he says "not sure how definite your #s are" I'd assume he means "verify what you got!".
I didn't know that I gave the "registration number".....What/where is it ?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't know that I gave the "registration number".....What/where is it ?

You didn't. I answered that on page 4 of this thread. Carnac provided a registration number for a different M151, it starts with N. It is the mil equivalent to a licence plate.

Jay Mallari

Vin # 520893 D151-03036
Contract # DAAE07-79-D-5016
AM General
Natl Stock # 2320-00-177-9258
Assuming your data plate is original to the vehicle, your mutt was originally assigned to the USMC
and later reassigned to the army.The front bumper is a marine version and the engine is set up for fording.
It still has the fording cable and master cylinder has the vent line connected. So your hood registration number should
read USMC 520893. I don't think Carnac has info on vehicles assigned to the USMC?

Grits

Assuming your data plate is original to the vehicle, your mutt was originally assigned to the USMC
and later reassigned to the army.The front bumper is a marine version and the engine is set up for fording.
It still has the fording cable and master cylinder has the vent line connected. So your hood registration number should
read USMC 520893. I don't think Carnac has info on vehicles assigned to the USMC?
Thanks,
What you're saying sounds right as previous info over time has indicated that it is a Marine Jeep....
Now if I can just find that registration # somewhere....
Andy Grinstead
...BTW my roots go back to the town of Grinstead ....not far from London...
Thanks Again...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe, but the MERDC Army camo and lack of USMC rear hub caps says Army.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks