• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do i turn my fuel pump up?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seach button is on the top of every page.

And if it is a 5 ton LDS motor, the pump is already turned up, any more would be too hot.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a reason they call the engine come-aparts
Is this thread in regards to Cummins or multi-fuel engines? The OP has M54A2 in his user name and since he didn't specify what the engine was I could only guess it was for a multi-fuel, not a Cummins.

Ruppster

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'm not a diesel doctor but I'll give you the short version of doing "Cincinatti Tuneups" on diesel engines (Cincinatti is where they used to make Vise Grips....old time truck drivers used to clamp off the return fuel line to put more diesel to the engine ergo the name).

More fuel will get you more power but it will also get you holes burned in the pistons and major damage if you run it hard in a pull. You also need to make sure you are getting plenty of air and that the exhaust is free flowing.

That is why you need the pyrometer....to let you know when to back off the throttle.

If you have a feel for diesel engines you can actually feel the truck pull better when you back off the fuel.

Diesel engines, especially military ones, are tough but they can still be destroyed by neglect or abuse.

M54a2weasel

I do not tow with my truck it is just for show and driving around town. The truck is a mulit fuel. I am just looking for a little more pull when i am at a stop light and on hills. Unless you guys have any other ideas on how to get more power or speed.?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I would look at the TM trouble shooting the 465 and check that the fuel and boost are correct for factory specs. If you wish to raise a small amount that will be fine. What you are looking for are the boost #'s from 1600/2000rpm controlled by droop screw or smoke cam as by which IP you have then check boost 2000/2600 by the main fuel adjustment. You will also be checking fuel pressure by way of in tank and IP fuel pump at full rpm.

We are talking more fuel not speed if you leave Gov at 2600 or set Gov. to 2850/2900

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what motor he has and he needs to check the numbers first inless in you wisdom you can read the boost numbers from your house.

jdknech

"lol, i am saying, leave it alone, all i can read from my home is your lame posts.

Drive it and enjoy, if it ain't broke don't fix it"

everyone is entitled to do what ever they want to there trucks! if you want to paint it pink camo (like my girlfriend:twisted:) and drive it to makeup shows, that's your choice! i turned up my multi A LOT and have had no problems, just use your head when you drive and you'll be ok...

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I have said in reply to many of these kind of posts, we own two deuces and two five tons that are highly turned up. We have been using them in farm service this way for years with no problem. With at least a boost gauge, and at best also a pyrometer, you have no problem if you drive wisely. I definitely do not agree with the stated come apart reputation from my experience, and others in my community. These same engines are serving at 80 to 90 percent and more power in White farm tractors hour after hour in harsh conditions. They have been very dependable for us. I think the biggest cause of the come apart name is shoddy building and military drivers that did not give a darn about how they drove them, then we get them already damaged. If you have the good head gaskets, go for it with good driving sense.

Regards Marti

hughscpa

Hey JDKNECH, watch the pink camo thing. That's how I got to get my bobbed one paid for.:mrgreen: The right funding source and I'll paint it whatever color they want as long as I can drive them. This is a great hobby and I love hearing all the comments. A question on this subject though is my one duece with 395's on it is kind of a dog on the open road compared to the bobbed one. Top speed about 58 with the quad 50's in the back. Is that about right? It has the D turbo on it. Thanks.

Billy Bobbed

I would not attempt to turn up the fuel with out a pyrometer.And knowing the egt danger zones.For now Im keeping mine under 1200,but I here guys going up and over 1300.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks