• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you justify a Deuce to a wife/gf?

Thunder in NWOR

My wife tells folks that with all the MVs, she knows where I'm at (out back with a wrench), not down at the bar (can't afford them high prices - gotta buy more parts), and I load up the kids and go to parades, cruise-ins, etc (gives her 'alone time').

Before the wife (and before the O.D. infection/affliction) I had a girlfriend that didn't like my guns and hunting. Kept buying and going. So....She left - looking back, best thing that ever happened to me!!

Buy it. All things work out for the best.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G/F might as well find out now about your MV fever. If the relationship survives yer good to go. If not, oh well. The truck will find you a new one.

BLK HMMWV

Wife and MV

Well while I didn't buy a deuce I did get a HMMWV about 5 years back.
My wife of 20 years at the time told me if I bought it it would be the last hummer I would ever get.

So well ahh it was a tuff call but , just incase you guys don't know there really isn't allot of room in those suckers to sleep.

Fast forward to the 4th of July this year I was up early getting it ready for a local parade , (did I tell you guys that they weren't built with room for a sleep comfort bed in them ) and she tells me that she wants to come out with me for the parade. I just about fell over , she looked like my wife, sounded like my wife dammit if it wasn't my wife.
I was happier than a puppy with three peters trying to figure out which one to lick first.
If they love you they will come around , if not they will fool around. In which case you will end up with a nice truck because you know she doesn't want it.

Long story short if you can afford it without taking food off the table buy it. Explain to her that in case of emergency she can take all of her shoes and purses with her in it .
She will know were you are every night because she will see the light on in the garage or out back.

Oh and just in case you care the story had a happy ending.;-) 25 years this Jan. and she like's little puppys.
Now I'm taking Yoga classes and learning how to sleep sitting up. Lets see maybe something with a thicker skin and tracks or 6 wheels.

BH/CC

Last edited:

lonegunman

I want the M35A3 in the worst way but my gf is giving me a hard time about it. She said I will look crazy and that she will never ride in it. How can I fix this?

The easiest way to fix it is to get a better woman. BUT, since that is never as easy as it sounds try reason. I talked with my lovely wife and she understood that for what I was going to use a truck for this was cheaper and far tougher than an F-250. I know that when I'm done they truck will be in good shape and worth more than a worked to death pickup truck.

M920

You need Armor!

I want the M35A3 in the worst way but my gf is giving me a hard time about it. She said I will look crazy and that she will never ride in it. How can I fix this?

I saw that you are asking about Armored Vehicles in a different thread.....I assume that you needing armor now, is a direct result of your GF finding out about you asking other SS members for advice on this issue and she "made you" show her the answers......better get some body armor to.... lolrofl

Wrench Wench

I like the reasoning represented in dc3coyote's avatar. "You'll learn to love my hobby... when the zombies come."

And like BLK-HMMWV in his own inimitable way tried to say, it's an investment. When nothing else will run, a military diesel will. Transport of goods back to the homestead you couldn't otherwise accrue is what a MV can mean in the good times, and transport of you and yours out of the fire can be what it means in the bad. Like any investment, you have to be smart about it. Like trading fees and management fees for a fiduciary investment, MVs cost money to maintain too. If you're hurting for food or utilities or tuition or health care, then investing in anything, let alone an MV is NOT what you need to be thinking about. If everything else is taken care of and you're looking to invest in the future and capability capital is looking more attractive than financial capital, then you could do a whole lot worse than a Deuce or a 5 Ton.

wsucougarx

My reason for getting mine was a result of a huge windstorm we had here in DEC07. We were literally cut off from the rest of the word with downed trees that limited driving to one's driveway...no joke. After 3-4 days of being homelocked (is that even a word?), I spoke it over with my wife and she agreed we needed a deuce to get out of dodge. Hmm 4 deuces later we have a truck for each member of the family....granted my 3 year old can't see over the steering wheel:p[thumbzup]

My reason for getting mine was a result of a huge windstorm we had here in DEC07. We were literally cut off from the rest of the word with downed trees that limited driving to one's driveway...no joke. After 3-4 days of being homelocked (is that even a word?), I spoke it over with my wife and she agreed we needed a deuce to get out of dodge. Hmm 4 deuces later we have a truck for each member of the family....granted my 3 year old can't see over the steering wheel:p[thumbzup]
Thats an excellent response wsucougarx!! I feel the same way you do and we had to contend with a forest fire (Had one here in 2007) and the darn winter this year when the road drifted in ! (Last winter only 5 times) with the last time being April 30th here in good old Montana in the mountains. My "Deuce" was a very good investment in our survival to get out of "Dodge"!! elk

dc3coyote

Having recentley rejoined the world of single people, I will give you my advice. Buy the truck, and pick up some flowers for her on the trip home. And if she balks, help her move out with it, go to a Hooters and get a new girl.

That said my break up was not MV related, infact she still wants to get a CUCV of her own, she did not like any of the vehicles I bought untill they were home and in the yard.
She even wanted a 109 of her own after she saw the camper conversion I did with a buddy of mine. Brittany and I are still very good friends, we just decided that we could not be a couple any more. And she is a member on the site now.

Another good idea is to get it and take her to a rally, let her meet the other women of the MV world and know shes not alone, and the wifes/ GFs are well adjusted, its just ther husbands and boyfriends that are a little colorfull (Olive Drab)

Wrench Wench, Brittany drew that for me after I used the excuse three times to get more trucks.

boomer

Hello Alfred,

Man up, put your foot down, and go out and get one. Whether she likes it or not.
If you give in, she will own you forever, and you will regret it.

If she splits or never rides in it, too bad, that is her loss, and then maybe she is not the type of girl for you.

Or just tell her, it will be a good vehicle to get away in and protect both of you in case of disaster (terrorist attack, earthquake, fires, floods, hurricanes, tornado's, etc...)

Just do NOT give in.. Ever!

Good luck,

CJ
:ditto:

BigWill1276

Well, I told the wife that I really wanted one. She said, if I really wanted one, I could sell the Barrett M107 and buy the Deuce. Well, I sold the Barrett and bought the M35A3. Just waiting for the EUC to clear. I've been looking at MV's on the internet for awhile now and anxious about it. She saw a couple of Deuces around town and actually took a pic next to one and sent it to me. She's getting green fever now too and said she wants an old military jeep after we fix up the new deuce :smile: The plan is working and I also used the Zombies might invade Vegas so we need to be able to escape excuse too. I've also talked her into letting me grab another Barrett in the near future :p Nothing else takes care of Zombies as well as a 50 cal. My motto to live by is Happy Wife = Happy Life.

undysworld

Your GF won't let you have a deuce? This reminds me of that old joke about how much better a dog is than a GF (or wife, for that matter).

If you throw your dog and your wife in your trunk and drive around all afternoon, when you open the trunk up, the dog's still happy to see you.

Maybe you need a dog?

midcounty

Wow, I guess I should count my blessings. Not too long ago I told my gf I wanted to buy a new truck, then showed her a picture of a Duece. I was expecting the normal chic reaction, something like "what in the #%@$ do you need that for?". But instead it was, "that's cool, will I be able to drive it?". So with plans to buy one, as soon as I find the right deal, she has no problems. She already wants to learn to drive it on her own and take it places.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks