• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you move your generator(s)?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't moved mine in years but the last time I did I used my 4310 John Deere. It is equipped with a 420 loader that I upgraded to 430 specs by installing 2" generic cylinders. I used clamp on forks and attached to the lift rings on the 803. I strapped the end closest to the tractor behind the loader pins. I had 1200 lbs of ballast on the 3pt end of the tractor and the 803 was all it wanted to lift a few inches off the ground.

View attachment 908130
I’ve been on the lookout for a 420 or 430 loader for my old JD reactor.

spotrep

I don't own much in the way of material handling equipment and have typically relied on my tilt-deck trailer and a small dolly with floor jacks to move stuff around. Recently I built a pair of towable dollys to improve my ability to shuffle generators.
View attachment 905444

It got me curious how all of you move a half ton or more of surplus around. :giggle:
I love this idea! My garden tractor doesn’t have a 3 point but I can put a Jack on it. What’s you use for the axle? I tried to send you a message but I don’t think I have enough posts yet

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love this idea! My garden tractor doesn’t have a 3 point but I can put a Jack on it. What’s you use for the axle? I tried to send you a message but I don’t think I have enough posts yet
1 inch cold rolled steel, turned down to 3/4" on the ends.

Jayhawk#44

MEP-803A, rented a forklift ($200) to get it off the trailer and in the garage. floor jacks to lift it, jack stands to hold it up.
Built a 4X4 frame between the rails and bolted 2 large fixed casters at the very center balance point. Then bolted 2 1/2 inch ish smaller swivel casters at the 4 corners. I can easily move it in, out, and around my garage with ease by myself. Jumps all gaps in the concrete with ease by just hitting 1 wheel at a time at an angle.

Got the idea off a post on here somewhere. Its buried right now, I'll post up some pics sometime when I unbury it.

Later,

Matt L.

rickf

Just be aware that bucket lip pallet forks WILL bend your bucket!! And once bent it will never grade properly again. The best bucket forks are like the ones I had on one of my backhoes that actually attached to hooks welded on top of the bucket in four spots across the top and that swung on those and the backs of the forks butted against the front of the cutting edge of the bucket. This way the weight was carried by the top of the bucket where the reinforced mounts for the cylinders are. No bent bottom bucket surface. You can modify old forklift forks to work this way if you have a good heavy duty welder.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be aware that bucket lip pallet forks WILL bend your bucket!! And once bent it will never grade properly again. The best bucket forks are like the ones I had on one of my backhoes that actually attached to hooks welded on top of the bucket in four spots across the top and that swung on those and the backs of the forks butted against the front of the cutting edge of the bucket. This way the weight was carried by the top of the bucket where the reinforced mounts for the cylinders are. No bent bottom bucket surface. You can modify old forklift forks to work this way if you have a good heavy duty welder.
They make forks with a frame that take the place of the bucket. They're not a lot more expensive than those bucket ruiners.

I have no idea how I ever lived without them.

Sazabizc

My pallet fork is on a frame . No clamp on bucket forks here. And I love my quick disconnect attachments 5 minutes is all it take to switch attachments if they are side buy side .

I also recently drilled a hole in one of the forks so I can tread on a Reese hitch ball. That way if I’m trying to hang a rope or chain off the fork it can’t side off .
Sure bites rolling heavy drums full of diesel into the bucket and having to manually move them into place .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks