• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you move your generator(s)?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help you with ideas as my main mep003 is on its original trailer and the other pair of 003's are stationary in the genshed .. Those were moved into place using a bucketloader that set them upon several 2" pipes laid at the doorway , which then were used Roman-style to roll and steer the gennies to their perspective corners at the back of the building .. If I were in your shoes with nothing big available, I would do what you have done, except I would center the axle and set genny so that there's not a horrible amount of tongue weight on the lawn tractor or atv or what have you .. But then again, you might need a lot of weight on that hitch to keep traction with a lawn tractor

Ray70

I would like to see that 425 in action. I built forks for my 318's 3pt, but lift capacity is only 640 lbs.
I'll have to get you some pictures. He was I think 11 when my older brother gave him a broken down 425 for parts. He rebuilt it, threw in one of my LPW2 engines and fabricated the entire front fork mount / hydraulic piston assembly as well as the rear 3 pt. fork setup.
Also a 4 way custom built snow plow for the front.
He made a 350 lb. concrete counterweight for the 3 pt. for use with the plow and the front forks.
I keep telling him he's overloading the machines frame / tires / axle etc. but he's having fun, learning to fabricate things and learning to fix things when he breaks them!

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to get you some pictures. He was I think 11 when my older brother gave him a broken down 425 for parts. He rebuilt it, threw in one of my LPW2 engines and fabricated the entire front fork mount / hydraulic piston assembly as well as the rear 3 pt. fork setup.
Also a 4 way custom built snow plow for the front.
He made a 350 lb. concrete counterweight for the 3 pt. for use with the plow and the front forks.
I keep telling him he's overloading the machines frame / tires / axle etc. but he's having fun, learning to fabricate things and learning to fix things when he breaks them!
I was curious how he set it up. The 425 only has 10 more lbs of stated 3pt capacity, but I know people push the 318s much harder than the official numbers. Deere states max real axle load on mine is 1200 lbs, but the Peerless axles itself os rated for 1800 lbs.

Sazabizc

To move my Mep-003a I use my John Deere 5075e with pallet fork attachment. Been one of the best 578$ spent ! I use that thing for everything, picking up brush and trees , cutting trees into 5 or 6 foot pieces and piles them on the forks . It even has a 2 inch receiver hitch makes moving a trailer a breeze. Also can move my gooseneck trailer around with it . And it also has a spot to install a bail spear.

I use that thing all the time . Before I got the pallet fork attachment I used the bucket and would wrap a chain around it and use the lifting hook on the generator. It worked but it wasn’t ideal . I’d like to get a military trailer for the 003a and leave it on that and move it around with it . Instead of lifting it up and moving it around .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosemary Ranch

I don't own much in the way of material handling equipment and have typically relied on my tilt-deck trailer and a small dolly with floor jacks to move stuff around. Recently I built a pair of towable dollys to improve my ability to shuffle generators.
View attachment 905444

It got me curious how all of you move a half ton or more of surplus around. :giggle:
Someone is doing some sketchy stuff, sketchy stuff, sketchy stuff… Shhhh, I wonder if anybody saw that. Whew! 380740750_10225183762564750_1919518091423970961_n.jpg

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
For just rolling them around the shop a pallet jack should be more than enough. Worst case if the pallet jack doesn't fit into the gen frame properly, you put the generator onto a pallet and bolt or strap it so it stays.
I wouldn't want them on a pallet. Wondering if they work right on the generator fork slots themselves. Figured someone has to have tried it before I get one. My current shop setup is tight and they would be great for moving them in, around, and out of the shop where the LMHC or future larger equipment can easily get to them.

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't want them on a pallet. Wondering if they work right on the generator fork slots themselves.
I don't think the rollers at the front of the forks would play well with the rest of the skid that's below the fork slots.

We have a straddle pallet stacker at work that'd work pretty well (basically a hand-motivated forklift, with legs that straddle around the skid rather than a counterweight) but convenient ain't what I'd call that thing.

justinn

I wouldn't want them on a pallet. Wondering if they work right on the generator fork slots themselves. Figured someone has to have tried it before I get one. My current shop setup is tight and they would be great for moving them in, around, and out of the shop where the LMHC or future larger equipment can easily get to them.
They to not fit in at the Fork Lift points or at the ends. It is possible to precariously balance from the end of the unit, but it's not exactly safe.

If they make an adjustable width pallet jack, you could get it from the end, I think, but from the side, as mentioned earlier, you can't get the forward wheels through the Fork Lift slot. Pallet Jacks are meant for the wheels to never leave the ground. As others mentioned, you have to put it on a pallet to use a pallet jack easily.

J

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
They to not fit in at the Fork Lift points or at the ends. It is possible to precariously balance from the end of the unit, but it's not exactly safe.

If they make an adjustable width pallet jack, you could get it from the end, I think, but from the side, as mentioned earlier, you can't get the forward wheels through the Fork Lift slot. Pallet Jacks are meant for the wheels to never leave the ground. As others mentioned, you have to put it on a pallet to use a pallet jack easily.

J
Thank you very much for this reply. Exactly what I was looking for! Had the opportunity to get one cheap & didn't want to end up with it & it not do the one thing I need it for.

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much for this reply. Exactly what I was looking for! Had the opportunity to get one cheap & didn't want to end up with it & it not do the one thing I need it for.
You don't necessarily have to put your units on pallets to move them with a pallet jack.

You could, for example, make 4 blocks of say 3" tall 4x4, drill & countersink a hole in the middle of each block, and bolt one to each of the trailer mounting holes... just enough to get the bottom of the skid clear of the top of the fully lowered pallet jack forks.

csheath

I haven't moved mine in years but the last time I did I used my 4310 John Deere. It is equipped with a 420 loader that I upgraded to 430 specs by installing 2" generic cylinders. I used clamp on forks and attached to the lift rings on the 803. I strapped the end closest to the tractor behind the loader pins. I had 1200 lbs of ballast on the 3pt end of the tractor and the 803 was all it wanted to lift a few inches off the ground.

generator-move.jpg

jwinner

Where I work we have an 803 sitting on 4x4 timbers inside, which allows enough clearance for a narrower style pallet Jack to fit under it from either end. So we can jack it up off the timbers to move it around and either set it back on the timbers or just lower the pallet Jack and run it on the jack. I do that with the jack on the fuel tank side of the machine. We also have a tractor with pallet forks if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks