• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you paint your Deuce?

Carlo

Obviously there are many ways to paint an MV. How i am painting mine is as follows, Sand blasting any rust that is found, feather all chips and metal edges out with 80 grit. Sand blasting the surface of everything else. I do this to "scuff" the paint that is sticking well. It makes it way easier to get into the hard to reach areas give the paint a great amount of bite for the new coat. Ill wax and grease remover the whole surface a couple of time. Re scuff and blast any places needed. Prime the bodywork and and metal areas. Prep them with 240 grit. paint the truck with an HVLP using AUE ( pretty much ALK) commercial grade paint with flattening agent added. Keep in mind I own an auto body shop and have all the knowledge and equipment available to me. I wouldn't recommend house paint for longevity on a MV because the UV screeners are not up to par with an automotive finish......unless you want the white chalked out look then go with house hold. you will get that look much faster then with a good quality automotive paint. Ill be posting some more pics soon of my project.
I agree with you. Does house paint even have anti rust features? I cant see the why many are using it even if it is cheaper....

ptg530C

I use an air fed helmet and paint it out doors when it is hot and low wind. I also put sand in the paint on top of the front fenders. Stripping it and trying to avoid runs is a waste of time. Its an ARMY truck.

Heath_h49008

I agree with you. Does house paint even have anti rust features? I cant see the why many are using it even if it is cheaper....
Behr Premium Plus Ultra is rated for direct-to-metal application and has rust inhibitors. "Regular" Behr laid over a rust inhibiting primer is another option if rust protection beyond air and water exclusion is desired.

JimmyThompson

I was at Lowes this past weekend and saw Rustoleum Restore Deck "Armor"... Would this potentially be an option?

I'm looking for a bedliner type of job... I called a Rhino-Lining guy and after a bit of head scratching he stated somewhere around $4000!

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished painting the under carriage and frame of the Deuce . Used a top of the line HVLP paint gun from Harbor Freight , LOL . I used Rapco 383 green . Just pressure washed the crap out of the frame and gave it a quick squirt of color . Came out good in spite of my painting efforts , must be the gun .

JamesSummerville

If anyone in the low country SC wants to paint mine let me know, should be getting out of the shop after getting full fluid flush and front axle seals done by Carolina diesel, looking for a Camo paint job. God I love my M35a2.

JimmyThompson

Lowes has Rustoleum Restore Armor for $25 a gallon in numerous colors.

The CHEAPEST textured paint I have found ($75-$100 a gallon) is Herculiner, and it comes in any color as long as it is black!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always thought house paint wouldn't hold up well but there are a bunch of people around here that swear by it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Enamel like Rapco can take a long, long time to completely cure, depending on weather conditions.

I was reading the latest issue of Military Vehicles and there is a article in there about painting MVs. The author has some good points but there is something I have to take a small issue with. He states several times that you cannot use epoxy primer over enamel paint. He states that paint will come off in a matter of months if this is done. Well I painted a tractor about 10 years ago with epoxy over enamel and the paint is still holding up fine. I have learned from the tractor that epoxy primer is some tough stuff and worth the money if you take the time to prep the surface good enough.

Sapper55

That's a great job you did! My squad and I were detailed by my supervisor to paint (by hand) with brushes, the 4 color paint schemes on the 45 vehicles and trailers assigned to our Direct Support Platoon in Germany in 1978. We had to chalk the designs and label the number of the paint color applied. It took us 2 1/2 weeks to complete. Never-the-less we had the best looking motorpool in Germany. Thanks for the pics. Army Strong!!! Sapper

Sapper55

I used rollers to roll the paint onto my truck. I used Behr Premium exterior flat paint from HomeDepot. I think it turned out pretty good!
That's a great job you did! My squad and I were detailed by my supervisor to paint (by hand) with brushes, the 4 color paint schemes on the 45 vehicles and trailers assigned to our Direct Support Platoon in Germany in 1978. We had to chalk the designs and label the number of the paint color applied. It took us 2 1/2 weeks to complete. Never-the-less we had the best looking motorpool in Germany. Thanks for the pics. Army Strong!!! Sapper​

WRMorrison

While not a deuce, the same applies. This was my old 4Runner from years ago that I painted desert MARPAT, and I plan to paint my deuce the same way/color in a month or so. I took a pair of trousers down to the local paint store and had them match 3 of the 4 colors for me (because I'm too lazy to spray all 4 colors, I went with only 3). I don't remember the brand, but it was the cheapest flat latex house paint that they had. I made the stencils from poster board from WalMart that already had grid lines (think - large scale graph paper). I started with a base of the lightest color, and then held the templates against the truck with one hand and sprayed with the other. It took longer to cut the templates out than it did to paint the truck.

-WRM

Attachments

Sapper55

While not a deuce, the same applies. This was my old 4Runner from years ago that I painted desert MARPAT, and I plan to paint my deuce the same way/color in a month or so. I took a pair of trousers down to the local paint store and had them match 3 of the 4 colors for me (because I'm too lazy to spray all 4 colors, I went with only 3). I don't remember the brand, but it was the cheapest flat latex house paint that they had. I made the stencils from poster board from WalMart that already had grid lines (think - large scale graph paper). I started with a base of the lightest color, and then held the templates against the truck with one hand and sprayed with the other. It took longer to cut the templates out than it did to paint the truck.
-WRM
Neat and very talented work. OOHRAH!! I guess I would have to go with the ACU Pattern, I'm formerly a soldier. Army Strong!! Sapper

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks