• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How fast does a M1008 go?

91W350

Detroit did pour a lot of money into development of the engines. They could not withstand high rpm continuous running. The main bearing webbing cracked and the bearings got loose. They tried a new alloy block for the 6.5 engines, thinking that would solve the problem. It did not. At the time they were chasing fuel economy, not towing power. Dodge really upset the apple cart in 1989 with the Cummins. They had power and they had economy and they would run a million miles wide open. Okay, so wide open was only 2650 rpm or so then... At any rate, it did not take GM long to figure out the 6.5 engines we're not going to compete. They went outside to Isuzu and the Duramax. The 6.2 and 6.5 engines were never intended to be run like we run diesels now. Sure, a highly modified engine can for a short time. I loved to hear my 427 at 7500 rpm, but I did not expect it to live there for hours on end.

Last edited:

idM1028

You'd be surprised. Bill Heath once made a comment that when the 6.2's first came out, they found out they could spin them as high as 5,300RPM WITHOUT them flying apart. Long story short, a diesel's a diesel. It may not operate at as high a speed, but it operates at higher pressures than a gasser. Cracks are common (and not just in the 6.2's and 6.5's either. Google Cummins 53 block) and depending on the size and area of the crack, even acceptable.

rickf

I have easily done 80 MPH or more in my m1009. Speedometer needle is steady (no bouncing) at about 55 its actually doing 60 according to GPS. On long trips I run it between 60 and 70. :D
The M1009 has a 3:08 rear gear ratio. Can't even compare it to a M1008 with 4:56 gears.

USAWEAPON777

I've gotten my m1008 up to 75mph once and I'm not gonna lie I was a little concerned it was roaring to say the least. I did it once to beat a minivan lol.
note to self: m1008 not race car

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a speed test on my M1010 on 37's and I thought the engine sounded bad at anything over 65. I hit 69 and called it quits. Even with 37's, my truck is only really happy at 60 and below. I was expecting a big change in top speed when I installed the large tires and it just didn't seem to make that much difference.

I think re-gearing or an OD setup is the only way to make these trucks comfortable at interstate speeds.

Goose2448

The Bouncing speedo needle is due to a dirty or bad Speedo cable, if I recall correctly. Now I know this does not compare at all, but it says that engines will go farther than they are rated, for short periods of time. I once did 140 a my C20. Tach was at about 7500 RPM on the SBC 350, THM-350, 4.10s, and 235/65 R16s. Smart, no. Legal, well I did not get caught. And She drove great for a few more months. Even after being rolled, she sounded grate. SO, just because the books says it can do only this, dose not mean it can.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

My M1028 is very quiet and smooth, so quiet that I have to watch the speedo to make sure I am not over revving. It WILL go over 55 but I want this truck to out live me so I will not go over 50 (55 indicated, my speedo also reads 5 over, GPS verified) I can see how someone driving a nice, quiet smooth running 1008/1028 would over speed it without realizing. I need a tach...

M1008driver

I have researched and read all I can putting allot of thought in this. I think the first major breakdown I have I will be putting a 6.5 turbo engine with a better block and heads.

That will allow me to keep the 24 volt starter system and have a better engine. I will be keeping this truck until I die some day. I can still have 2 alternators, right?

So far it has been great, even during the start of winter.

rickf

I think I found the answer. I had to work overtime today and looked under the vehicle before I went to work. Is this what I think it is? I admit I don't know much. Advice needed...

EDIT- Thanks Jerry. I hope I can buy from you again some day. As for the 6.2 being junk, I do not think so. I am looking for improvements, but it is not junk.
That speedo cable appears to have been recently removed, I have one that a speedo gear for a truck with 3.73 gears was put in it and that is just about exactly how the speedo reads. All it is is a plasic gear under the speedo cable. It is possible that maybe the transfer case was changed out with one from a civvie truck with 3.73 gears. They did get stuff from junkyards sometimes. I have personally seen it done.

Rick