• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How fast does a M1008 go?

unaffiliated

Hmm. . . intresting. I don't know if its just my speedo, but my needle has a tendency to shake like a hula girl doll around the edges of the gauge. It doesn't like to steady out until about 15MPH on the low side and often starts shaking around when I'm topping the truck out on the high side (about 60 on the speedo, 55-57 according to the GPS) Yours doesn't seem to have that problem.

Your truck most likely needs a new speedometer cable. Needle bounce at low speed and top speed is usually always due to a stretched speedometer cable. In vehicles with cruise control, this will also cause the cruise to surge or hunt at the set speed especially on flat ground. Try a new speedometer cable and see if that gets rid of the Hula Girl Syndrome.

unaffiliated

M1008A1 @ 70 mph and purrs like a kitten with the GV Overdrive.
That's a slick looking unit. I didn't end up going to the Rally this year due to too many issues with my truck. You would have hated following me at 55MPH with that overdrive. I wish I had a spare 3K laying around. LOL

chevyCUCV

I remembered this thread, glad i could find it..
I was interested in how fast my truck would go. I has just finished calibrating the speedo(drive 60 time how long it takes to go 1 mile, also watch odometer to see it turns 1 mile) When i was done i held my foot to the floor.
It climbed up to 80 where it felt like it hit a wall, im assuming this was the govenor.
I had a big smile on my face the whole time.:)

No need to tell me that its bad for the engine, just sharing my experience.

cocco78

I've wondered on driving 55 as well with my 08. With stock tires it seems like the motor is just screaming past 50. I just put on some 37's and took it out for a ride and drove 55-60, it still sounded really loud, its hard to tell though if its just the diesel being loud or its really reving too high. When your accelerating up to 60 it sounds pretty nice, but when you let off the diesel pedal and just maintain speed the 6.2 gets pretty loud.

Pawnshop

I found out last month what happens when you drive a M1028 at 50mph IN SECOND GEAR... After ten miles or so the tranny and/or the IP gets really hot and the truck looses power, will not maintain speed and the engine will not stop running when you turn off the key! Pinching the return line on the IP made it stop running. Then the tow truck comes...

A few days later the after the truck was completely cooled down it started and seems to be OK and I have put about 200 miles on it with no troubles.

The lesson learned here is to explain the wonky shift position indicator to a substitute driver!

The application to this thread is that you CAN drive these trucks over revved but sometimes it makes them mad and they act up.

Last edited:
I found out last month what happens when you drive a M1028 at 50mph IN SECOND GEAR... After ten miles or so the tranny and/or the IP gets really hot and the truck looses power, will not maintain speed and the engine will not stop running when you turn off the key! Pinching the return line on the IP made it stop running. Then the tow truck comes...

A few days later the after the truck was completely cooled down it started and seems to be OK and I have put about 200 miles on it with no troubles.

The lesson learned here is to explain the wonky shift position indicator to a substitute driver!

The application to this thread is that you CAN drive these trucks over revved but sometimes it makes them mad and they act up.

Lol hahah i had a good chuckle with this With that being said Im a newbie Comapared to most on this site The M1008 Chevy 6.2 liter is not a power house But i can say that they are tougher than we give them credit for So my M1008 cant go over 55 but i bet compared to these new trucks Im not scared to go anywhere with my M1008 i have been in places even the boys with a new truck wouldnt go

The 6.2 is a paper weight But its a stout running Diesel for a daily driver

my m1008 has got The original axles dana 60 up front and 14 bolt rear as some of the members have pointed out these Trucks werent ment to do some of the things some people are doing now with that being said its your truck i personally just like older chevy pickups im all for doing some improvements such as radio cigarette lighter and such and may be a 6inch lift i would love to have an overdrive tranny but thats just not a justified expense for me now as the truck performs awesome as it is THESE TRUCKS ARE A MILD FORM OF TRUE MUSCLE THEY ARE WORK HORSES :grd:
With anything u take care of it it will take care of u :]

Last edited: