• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How good is a deuce really in the mud?

saddamsnightmare

September 23rd, 2012.

I won't abuse mine, but just about any Unimog, with some weight in the bed and good tires will eat most swamp buggies and deuces, stock or not, right up. That is, if the driver has any sense and knows his truck, its high points and its weak points. A U1300L with the 23 or 29 speed transmissions that were used by Case, well, it will take out just about everything except the super-bizarro modifieds......:driver:

jdknech

what kinda mud was it? How deep, how much water. Stuff like that.
It was Super thick mud with no standing water on top... they mixed it up well.. and it was about 3ft deep at the deepist point, this happened last night, and the mud still isn't dryed all the way..

(on a side note- my turbo M1009 cucv took second in open diesel class mud drags!!)

jdknech

You should go far enough to make getting you out a pain for anything less than a bulldozer. I say go for it, I did once and it is to long of a story for me to type here. But I had fun!
funny you should say that... thats what they had to use to get me out... the ton truck they used on everyone else just spun its little wheels when it hooked to me... lol:whistle:

hemichallenger

I visit a local mud racing track. TThey have some mod bogging also. I always get people asking me why dont I try and run my deuce through the mud. Now I habe done a little off roading with it but not much mud. I would take it in the mud some times but I just dont wanna get stuff and they cant pull me out. Or not making it more than a few feet and then every one asking me what happined.
They are as good as a under powered and overweight vechicle can be. Mud is not there thing.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the rest of you, they are heavy and underpowered , they are bottom feeders. My Duce has been bobbed and I run the 395/85/R20 michelin XML's on mine. I haven't had it in the mud yet.. It's in the shop getting lockers installed front and rear and power steering. A buddy of mine has a mud pit at his house, it's close to 4 feet deep at the end. I'll take it over there and give it a shot when it's finished.. I'll take some *video of it and see if I can post it for y'all ..*

3dAngus

I just put my stock deuce in the local mud bogg they hold at the fairgrounds... it did exatly what i expected, it went 3/4 of the way through and stopped.. last year I did it in my old Deuce and it was the only truck to make it through. the only differance between the two was tires, my old deuce had 395 XML's on it, new one has stock NDT's.
HuH??? If I read this right, you had NDTs and made it further than with 395's in 3 feet of water and mud? Is that correct?

How many NDTs did you have on there, and how many 395s. Rare someone would go from 395s back to NDTs, but if I understand you correctly, that is what you did. Correct?

I would have bet my money on the 395s and lost on that one, I guess. Was it the same driver?

Someone put a utube video up in the last few weeks about a deuce going through the mud at a mud track but I can't find it now.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I visit a local mud racing track. They have some mod bogging also. I always get people asking me why don't I try and run my deuce through the mud. Now I habe done a little off roading with it but not much mud. I would take it in the mud some times but I just don't wanna get stuff and they cant pull me out. Or not making it more than a few feet and then every one asking me what happened.
The only thing that comes to my mind is: Slid sliding away...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxyoud_c-E[/media]

jdknech

HuH??? If I read this right, you had NDTs and made it further than with 395's in 3 feet of water and mud? Is that correct?

How many NDTs did you have on there, and how many 395s. Rare someone would go from 395s back to NDTs, but if I understand you correctly, that is what you did. Correct?

I would have bet my money on the 395s and lost on that one, I guess. Was it the same driver?

Someone put a utube video up in the last few weeks about a deuce going through the mud at a mud track but I can't find it now.
sorry, i can see why you were confused... the first time i ran was last year with 395's and a C-turbo.. that truck made it all the way throught and out the other side
I sold that truck,
and got a non turbo truck with stock NDT's and the "new" truck only made it 2/3-3/4 of the way through this year

same driver both times (me)

Last edited:

Jakob

sorry, i can see why you were confused... the first time i ran was last year with 395's and a C-turbo.. that truck made it all the way throught and out the other side
I sold that truck,
and got a non turbo truck with stock NDT's and the "new" truck only made it 2/3-3/4 of the way through this year

Off topic a little, but why'd you sell your old truck?

Josh

Ive taken my truck through many bogs events, and just out in open fields. I would really recommended that where ever you go there is a decent sized trackhoe or dozer. If your sitting on axles a 1ton probably wont budge it. The biggest issue I notice with mil trucks that no one ever airs down the tires until its too late. If you want to play in the mud, 10-15psi in the tires will make the truck perform significantly better, the trade off is that it iswas more difficult to steer. As.some the PNW know I use and abuse my truck. Ive take the my truck places thay purpose built rigs have trouble and made it through, and I've been stuck in wet grass. The fact is the truck isnt unstoppable but it is pretty **** good for what it is. Just stay away from any place that doesnt have a solid bottom otherwise you may need a crane. Tis my 2cents,

Go out there and have fun. Who cares what others think, if your having fun thats all that matters.

3dAngus

I sold that truck,

Thank you so much for the clarification. I would take 395s any time over and above NDTs, though, they do have their purpose.

But I live in Georgia red clay, and I've been stuck in everything you can think of. If it's wet slick, I don't want NDTs. Period.

One of the nice thing, probably the nicest about NDTs is the open space between rear wheels. Great for packing down soil. Used it all the time on my dump truck, where it has a release point in between the tires and packs heavier on the tires themselves because of it for some reason.

Love my new 395s!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks