• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How good is a deuce really in the mud?

jrobinson5093

Well I found out how good it is in the mud last night. It did as expected. The main problem I had was it was pushin mud with the front axel, and the truck is under powered. I tried a few types of mud. I learned real quick that the mud the racers bog in is not the same as the stuff people were playing around it. I made it half way through it. I thought that was pretty good considering some trucks didnt make it that far.

jdknech

The main thing is, did you have fun? Cause that's what it's all about.. :) now comes the fun part- clean up! Don't let the mud stay on the paint too long.. It "stains" it ant is really hard to come off..

rattlecan6104

got a few short videos to show you guys here in regards to the deuce in the mud. The first one was my deuce being pulled out by a toyota... you read that right, a toyota, after I tried to blaze a new trail in a marshy spot and just sank the front axle in it. The next two are after that area got churned up a bit by the other guys in my offroad club, I gave it another shot, turns out there was a huge rock deep in there and once again my truck sank to the bottom and my front axle U-bolts on the passenger side got hung up on it, mangled the daylights outta them.The K-5 trying to pull me out just about ripped his rear bumper off, and then the 3500 ram deadlined to a tree with a 12k winch is what saved the day. Video #4 is a bit of redemption where I pushed out a truck that had busted its front drive shaft, after two trucks together couldnt push him out.

toyota pulls deuce out of mud - YouTube

Deuce was stuck - YouTube

Deuce winched out of mud hole - YouTube

deuce power - YouTube

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought this thread back to life because I found this sad, educational, somewhat funny video and thought it would be a good Christmas gift for deuce owners.

All you really need is the first minute,,,,,The truck does some impressive dancing around the 50 second mark and I'm guessing.....in capable hands, the truck would do better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92GAX1yoeBY

It raises more than a few questions and since my old deuces are automatics and I don't know......; How much damage/ wear occurred in this drive train, rocking it from forward to reverse so fast?

How does a guy get a truck to go North, then South, then North so fast? That's quite the trick! Must be some info in the M35 Tm's on this procedure.

This video must be one of the best examples of learning the hard way. It really supports all those rally's that Steel Soldiers hold teaching guys how to use their trucks without destroying them.....and keeping all the wheels on the ground. Merry Christmas to all those mud loving Deuce Owners.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought this thread back to life because I found this sad, educational, somewhat funny video and thought it would be a good Christmas gift for deuce owners.

All you really need is the first minute,,,,,The truck does some impressive dancing around the 50 second mark and I'm guessing.....in capable hands, the truck would do better?

It raises more than a few questions and since my old deuces are automatics and I don't know......; How much damage/ wear occurred in this drive train, rocking it from forward to reverse so fast?

How does a guy get a truck to go North, then South, then North so fast? That's quite the trick! Must be some info in the M35 Tm's on this procedure.

This video must be one of the best examples of learning the hard way. It really supports all those rally's that Steel Soldiers hold teaching guys how to use their trucks without destroying them.....and keeping all the wheels on the ground. Merry Christmas to all those mud loving Deuce Owners.

I once heard an old adage that surely applies here.....

DRAIN THE SWAMP!!!

And don't forget to perform post-fording maintenance too.

rustystud

This video just shows that there are some extremely ignorant deuce owners out there ! Evidently he doesn't understand the concept of moving the line of attack which the guy on the ground was trying to tell him to do. Very sad to watch.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like many other things, becoming at least a decent offroad driver takes experience. Experience comes through failing, figuring out why it did not work and doing better next time. This driver is working on his experience angle :)

rickf

That driver is not working on anything but ignorance! He will NOT take advice or commands. Can you imagine him in boot camp? Not todays boot camp boot camp in the 60's.

rustystud

That driver is not working on anything but ignorance! He will NOT take advice or commands. Can you imagine him in boot camp? Not todays boot camp boot camp in the 60's.
If it had been the Marines, he would be extremely strong ! Like my drill instructor used to say. Either you will get smart and learn or you will be exercised until you do learn. Either way the Marines will get a smart or strong Marine !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not defending the driver here but anyone who thinks you can just steer out of the ruts he made with NDTs, is strongly fooling themselves. No matter how bad you want to, it will not happen without an outside source of force or completely backing out and starting over.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
In the beginning of Deuce when it was the military truck it did in fact carry
all the ammo water food shelter humans to wherever it needed to be.
Go play in the mud and make believe but put 2 or 3 ton in the back and then go play. It was built to get the payload there, thru the woods and what may be left of roads.
When needed back then Deuce was not a toy.
Build mud trucks for play. I guess Deuce are still too cheap.

rustystud

Not defending the driver here but anyone who thinks you can just steer out of the ruts he made with NDTs, is strongly fooling themselves. No matter how bad you want to, it will not happen without an outside source of force or completely backing out and starting over.
Actually I have been in that same situation. When backing up if he had cranked the wheels hard right it would have pulled him over. I mean backing up to the other side of the creek and up the bank. Then cranking hard left the truck would have moved over to the easier spot.
Been there done that.

Kaiser67M715

Actually I have been in that same situation. When backing up if he had cranked the wheels hard right it would have pulled him over. I mean backing up to the other side of the creek and up the bank. Then cranking hard left the truck would have moved over to the easier spot.
Been there done that.
I think that's what the guy with camera was trying to say, the driver should have definitely knew to change his angle when he hit that bank.

And he was moving back far enough, he could have turned his steer tires in the tracks made by the duals, the trick is to not try turning too soon, and to try turning sharp at once-little hard with lack of power steering.

And a few post back there was a comment on how fast he was rocking the truck-this is easy if you never hit the brakes-and only use the clutch. The momentum will keep moving and then the minute you get it in the next gear, you can start moving the other way.

Tires definitely help too, NDTs are not as self cleaning as some other treads.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one has really mentioned the difference you will see in mud or deep snow if you remove the outer dual tires. Build-up ahead of the duals along with in the case of mud filling in between the wheels causes real problems. The rear duals filled with mud are like trying to pull rollers through the mud, no traction. Duals also need to push so much snow out of the way. If you think the truck looks unstable, turn the dish out on the single wheels on the rear axles. I never had any stability problems with the single rears left as they are after removing the outer wheels. I did not go crazy side angle places with it though. We see the same duals in the mud problem with our farm tractors and combines. If the tires are close enough together the mud can collect and fill the gap creating virtually a big roller then all traction is lost. We try to have 12 to 16 inches between duals on farm equipment to prevent this packing problem. Anyway, we fight the mud enough here on the farm that we do not willingly look for places to voluntarily bury the trucks or tractors just to see what they will do. Experience has already given us a good idea of it. Too much value in them to us, too much risk of damage and unnecessary work when we always have plenty to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks