• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How I added reverse light switch for my HMMWV

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, amps is the rating to be concerned with for this situation.

These would work fine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were my project, I'd probably weld the hole closed and re-drill and tap it for the cheapest switch I could find (less than $10).

But, you guys were looking for a switch for less than the ones advertised on ebay, that included a bushing to fit the existing hole.

Or, I'd go the easy route and buy the one for $25 that fits.

I guess my point is, you have options. Don't give up.

donquijote

A simple solution assuming you have a welding machine on hand, which most people don't and plenty of shops wont screw with doing that for a walk in customer.

I wasn't looking for a cheaper option when I ran across this problem. I had bought the NSS part referenced on the A1 configuration like common sense would lead you to. So after I bought it and then removed the shifter, you realize the bushing issue. So you buy the switch and then realize there is no bushing and end up with the issue Shamrocker has, not thinking to look at the A2 configuration and buying the reverse switch part# which includes the bushing. If there is an OEM part, I usually prefer to use that.

Shamrocker1

Very Impressed with your recent posts and research. THANK YOU!

Doghead, I never thought I would say this but “YOU ARE THE MAN!”. I hope you can see how many people your latest posts will help now that you understand what we need and why it’s not simply a shelf item or in the Tech Manual. Very thorough research sir and outstanding results. I’ll be ordering these tonight. I can’t thank you enough, Sham.

Shamrocker1

Voltage ratings are solely for the “insulation” or safety factor of any device. Current is your only concern here. I agree with doghead on using LED reverse lights to minimize current so that almost any switch would carry.

Shamrocker1

Don and doghead, great work and research! You guys have totally convinced me that this IS the place to be to get help on my Humvee from intelligent individuals like yourselves. Take a bow. You either got tired of my griping or you like a challenge like me. Either way, great work men!

Shamrocker1

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's another possible option.

http://www.mylampparts.com/Products/Brass-Reducing-Bushings-38-IPS-F-x-12-IPS-M__SL00442.aspx

The outer thread pitch would be off by two, but being so short and brass I bet it would work ok.

The inner thread pitch is correct.

Not 100% sure on diameters, but they should be very close.

It may be worth a try.

Might also find it a a hardware store in the drawers for lamp parts.(in the fasteners isle). Like at Lowes or Home Depot.

Shamrocker1

I found the switch on eBay that already has the 3/4-16 threads. It is a Massey Ferguson Starter Safety Switch Part Number 181140M94 for $11.04 shipped free. Problem solved with a huge victory for us all! The wiring terminals are different but the non-ambulance HMMWVs do not come with the reverse switch connectors anyway so you’ll terminate your own wires regardless. Diligence paid off for once. Tx to all who helped!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I changed the thread title to help in the future.

jsgrimmjs

After careful mic measuring and a TPI gauge, I got the same thing last night but, like you, failed to find the bushing anywhere. I do not have a Lathe, however, I will be using a 3/4” - 16 compression fitting and boring out the center and tapping it to a 9/16” - 18. I paid $9.95 for a brand new NSS and I also refuse to pay the extra $50 - $75 for a ten cent bushing. If we could only find who made these. Thank you for an accurate answer to my question. BTW, I got penalized by doghead for starting different threads for a conversation on the switch and then another conversation about the bushing. Though initially not related questions, he merged them and gave me a point. Thank you!

Here's a $3 solution. Buy a GM spark plug or find a used one. Outside thread is 3/4-16. Knock the center out. Tap inside to 9/16-18, then cut off at end of threads. There you go, perfect bushing20200716_163658.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks