• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How large of tires will fit

Gadget

I wondered the same thing about the rear duals. I let it go thinking they might have been testing front super-singles only, or maybe he was referring to two rear singles as duals?

The exploding brake thing sounded strange too, isn't the contact area of a pair of dual 9x's about the same as a super-single?

Just thought I would share the writeup and see what everyone thought about it. Anyone currently running 14.5 or 15.5 super singles on an A2 duece?

M1075

Gadget-

Thanks for the info, it is very interesting reading! I have several trucks on singles and will keep an eye out for any developing problems.

NEIOWA

That account sure has ZERO relationship to anything I've ever heard about super singles in the field. Certainly had no such issues with the M923 series with supersingles.

M35 rolls easily??? News to me, recall no such during 19yr active and & reserve.

Elwenil

That's sort of what I was thinking. Some of it seems plausible, but some is a little over the top, so to speak. I can understand the rollover issues, the bearing issues to an extent, and the steering wear, but another thing to consider is the quality of tire manufacturing back in 1969. tire technology has come a long way since then. I really can't fathom the "brake explosions" though, that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Certainly there are issues with any modification and it can either improve the vehicle, make it worse, or simply change the characteristics.

Perhaps these guys were just pushing these trucks past their limits. It's not much of a test without a few regular dual rear'd M35s to act as a test control for comparison. Also there is no mention of how they were loaded or driver experience.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of questions:
Who wrote the piece? Is there an actual test report? Weather conditions? What were the positives? Why tubeless? Why -2 multi? Were the trucks tested beyond the mil-spec requirements? How many regular M35's were used alongside as reference vehicles? What size tire? How do the super singles compare to 1100-20 tires, a standard config since the inception? An off-road test track that permits speeds over 10 mph would be interesting to see.....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn brings up a very valid point on the test report. The military has test reports for toilets. I've got the test report for the M756 trucks when they were developed on the G-742 chassis. Hmmm!

mudguppy

but speaking of 395s, what's a good source for wheels to fit these w/ the 2 1/2 ton 6 lug patern?? i have some that i need to mate to some axles for a project truck. 2-piece wheels w/ a bead lock are "custom" w/ a "custom" price to go along w/.

what WOULD work are some M35A3 wheels.... sources anyone???

btw, the 395s i have are the Goodyears and they ride nice on the highway :eek:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
those A3 wheels are next to impossible to find. it will pretty much take big $$$ no matter what you do to get wheels that fit those tires and 2.5 ton axles

jatonka

As Cranetruck states, .200 is about right for 11:00 20's. >212 is as close as I can get for 14.00R 20's and it leaves a margin of error of 7 mph at indicated50 mph on deuce speedometer vs. the auto following. John Tennis

CCATLETT1984

you still have two rear wheels on each side of the truck, maybe that is what he was referring to?
I also cant see how you could bend a hub, wreck the inner bearing surfaces yes, but not bend the hub itself.

M1.30-'06

Gadget said:
The exploding brake thing sounded strange too, isn't the contact area of a pair of dual 9x's about the same as a super-single?
I would think the diameter would have more to do with excess stress on the brakes , not contact patch. But then again , i wonder what the weight difference between dual NDT's and one super single is? Maybe the super single with less weight , but larger diameter will about equal the strain on the brakes caused by the dual NDT's of smaller diameter?

mcinfantry

wow, it all sounds wierd to me. as an accident reconsructionist it really does.

ken, i worked a fatality where a female was killed by the rear duals on a 350 truck, but those duals, as you know, track wider than the front tires, unlike an m35

spicergear

M1.30-'06 said:
I would think the diameter would have more to do with excess stress on the brakes , not contact patch. But then again , i wonder what the weight difference between dual NDT's and one super single is? Maybe the super single with less weight , but larger diameter will about equal the strain on the brakes caused by the dual NDT's of smaller diameter?
If my thinking is clear on this wouldn't a larger diameter tire using the same size brakes make the truck (to the brakes) feel a lot more heavy when trying to stop? As far as weight, an 395 XML on a double beadlock aftermarket wheel is 245LBS. At least mine were. Another note, those running or wanting to run 15.50 XL's (same size as 395 XMLs) that tire by itself is 225LBS, so that wheel and tire would be a bit more than 245LBS. I don't know what a stock 900 and wheel weigh but I can't see the difference being more than 40 or 50LBS for the pair. Heh,heh...I think size matters here.

M1.30-'06

Yep , larger diameter tire will have more leverage on the brakes. It would be interesting to see what the weight of duals is.

MotorDaddy

Sound odd doesn't it. Especially when the M35A3 ESP duece made its way into limited production (ok, Rebuild) with super singles, and they have the same brake componenents (shoes, cylinders, baking plates) as the earlier M35A2s (only the master cyl, & Hydrabooster changed). My last unit deployed to Iraq with four M109A4! That's an ESP (M35A3) with a M109 van body, an odd beast.

breelanr

I've been running 14.5 super singles for a couple of months now and the braking is equal or better than I had with 900-20 duals. I don't think weight is an issue, but it would be interesting to get the weight of a pair of 900-20s mounted and compare to a single 14.5R20 mounted. (need a big scale) The larger diameter did not seem to affect braking, but it did impact the gear ratio when accelerating, causing a significant loss of RPM when upshifting from 2nd to 3rd.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
breelanr said:
... I don't think weight is an issue, but it would be interesting to get the weight of a pair of 900-20s mounted and compare to a single 14.5R20 mounted..... The larger diameter did not seem to affect braking, but it did impact the gear ratio when accelerating...
14.5R20 Conti MPT80 on 11x20 custom wheel, ea = 102 kg
9.00x20 NDCC w/wheel. pair = 140 to 150 kg

Effective increase in rolling radius = less than 5%

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks