• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How large of tires will fit

rizzo

Recovry4x4 said:
They're a bit smaller than the 14:00x20s. Those won't fit without some heavy fabriication to the spacing between the rear axles. 395R 20s are used on the FMTV trucks. Lots of surplus tire dealers sell them.
if 395's are abit smaller than 14:00's and 14:00's are 48 inch. then 46" tires should fit??? right?

jasonjc

The rear axles are 48" on center as long as you don't take the truck off a flat road you would be fine not shure about some hard off road stuff when the axles start moveing around a lot. or high speed when the tires start to expaned do to centrifical force not shure how much they will if any??

M1075

They will fit. The M36 truck runs offroad at over 30,000# GVW when full. We did notch the bed to allow movement of the axles, just in case. With a normal payload, you should be fine.

Attachments

houdel

Ray - Like those tires! What rims are you using?

IMHO, the Deuce brakes, while perhaps marginal and requiring high pedal effort, exceed the tractive capability of 9:00-20 NDTs. I have no problem locking my wheels on paved or gravel roads, dry or wet. I attribute this to the harder rubber, solid center rib and limited traction lugs inherent to the NDT design. I would expect that nearly any non NDT, traction lug style replacement tire would give better braking effect than the stock NDTs.

rizzo

I just bought some 46 inch Mich for my deuce. the guy I bought them from said they all came off deuces. some of them had flat spots on them from skidding. If that is the case I would think that the deuce breaks can handle the 46's fine.

all according to Rodney

M1075

rizzo said:
I just bought some 46 inch Mich for my deuce. the guy I bought them from said they all came off deuces. some of them had flat spots on them from skidding. If that is the case I would think that the deuce breaks can handle the 46's fine.

all according to Rodney
They run the 46s on the FMTV (2.5ton and the 5 ton.)

knx873

What is the min. backspace needed to run 395-85R 20 XML on a M35A2? Also does anybody know the width of these tires at the widest point on 10" and 12" rims not the tread width (395)? What is the widest rim you could run with these tires?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks