• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long do glow plugs last? or lifespan

ratstalker

Here's a question for folks who have worked on the CUCV's a lot. I replaced my glowplugs about two years ago, when I first picked up my M1009 from govliquidation. Over the course of a week or so, cold starts got to be more difficult, then stopped completely. I pulled 3 plugs, and they were all cold, doa. I haven't put too many miles on my truck, although since last summer, it has turned into a daily driver. (hopefully for not much longer.)

Anybody know the average mileage, or lifespan of plugs? I have a manual override, and cycle my plugs for a ten count, or fifteen if it's really cold.

thanx

ratstalker

Yeah, I figured mileage wouldn't be such a big factor, but I am cycling them once a day now. Hopefully I can get the beater miata engine rebuilt soon, I hate putting miles on the M1009.

thanx!

zout

ratstalker -I am not trying to make a smart remark just so you know - there is one of those ole sayings I remember well about things:

If its man made and a mechanical item - it can take a dump whenever it wants to - even brand new out of a box - no matter the cost of the part.

So with that in mind - test the new parts to save labor time whenever possible.

Yearly serviceable item to make sure you are prepared to get through the cold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks