• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long do glow plugs last? or lifespan

ratstalker

Here's a question for folks who have worked on the CUCV's a lot. I replaced my glowplugs about two years ago, when I first picked up my M1009 from govliquidation. Over the course of a week or so, cold starts got to be more difficult, then stopped completely. I pulled 3 plugs, and they were all cold, doa. I haven't put too many miles on my truck, although since last summer, it has turned into a daily driver. (hopefully for not much longer.)

Anybody know the average mileage, or lifespan of plugs? I have a manual override, and cycle my plugs for a ten count, or fifteen if it's really cold.

thanx

ratstalker

Yeah, I figured mileage wouldn't be such a big factor, but I am cycling them once a day now. Hopefully I can get the beater miata engine rebuilt soon, I hate putting miles on the M1009.

thanx!

zout

ratstalker -I am not trying to make a smart remark just so you know - there is one of those ole sayings I remember well about things:

If its man made and a mechanical item - it can take a dump whenever it wants to - even brand new out of a box - no matter the cost of the part.

So with that in mind - test the new parts to save labor time whenever possible.

Yearly serviceable item to make sure you are prepared to get through the cold.