• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many miles on a multi fuel?

Larry S.

Varies widely.

There's documented instances of failures in 20k. And plenty of examples of high mileage.

Personally, if the engine passes my inspection, 34k would not be an issue.
Thanks 98G. I thought I had read about early failure in some of the multi fuel engines but I didn't think 34k was excessive on any diesel.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M35A2 is a 1972 model that was overhauled in 1987. The odometer reads just over 46K. That doesn't really tell me much. From what I've read, odometers, hour meters, and even engines were swapped out as needed. Sometimes with used units. So my engine could have way less than 46K or it could have more? Not sure about the life expectancy for one, but I hope it's a lot more than mine has. Good luck with your purchase!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur with the other posters. 34K miles would not concern me at all if the truck ran well and was in good shape. What would be of interest to me is the care provided by the current owner. Did the current owner put a decent amount of mileage on it (e.g., they put 5K of the 34K miles on it) and properly service it? If it is an auction truck, this goes out the window, in which case I'd stick with determining if it "ran well and was in good shape."

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the engine tag (on the engine) and the relief print on the engine. My 5-ton multifuel was supposedly from 1973, but I later found out that I have a 1965 M51A2, and both engine and truck were overhauled in 1973. Maybe its still the original combo of truck and engine, maybe they repaired the truck and replaced the engine with an overhauled engine from a different truck.

🤔👻

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Larry S. You have no way of knowing what the odometer reading means. Gauges, engines, transmissions etc. were swapped as needed and you cannot verify what's original to the truck and what isn't. Unless you have the unit maintenance records, the miles or hours on any component are unknown.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

dmetalmiki

Over the years I must have had over 20 of these trucks, Both two and a half
and five ton..
No failures in any of them.
However, As soon as any truck arrives here, in very short time ALL the oils get replaced..
And as I have mentioned before in other posts..
Military grade oils are put in, And ALL and EVERYTHING component has Molyslip Engine..Molyslip Axle, or Molyslip Transmission oil added.

(( And, 'knocks bangs vibrations squeaks rattles and crunching or grinding removed!.)):driver:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's documented cases of failures of new trucks that were working as intended hauling cargo in Viet Nam, in ~ 20k miles. (We can all speculate on what kind of aggravating circumstances were involved)

My own speculation on multifuel engines in general is that quite a bit was compromised in order to be able to run a bunch of different fuels. Power, efficiency, and longevity all took a hit.

I own one. I like it a lot. But it would not be my first choice for a high mileage live forever engine.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
~ How many miles are too many on a multi fuel? ~
It is a Diesel so the question is how many hours, how much time lugging and how much time at high revolutions above the torque peak. i.e. Can't know that either.
Which is why the farm tractors go so many hours between overhauls, 8,000 hours at 30 mph is 240,000 miles, 14,000 hours would be 420,000 miles, but those tractors rarely get revved over 2100 rpm, and the compression ratio is less than the multi-fuel.

Gunfreak25

The Multifuel is a durable design. If a man took a brand new Multifuel that was properly assembled, never abused it and ran modern oil filters from hour 1 I see no reason it wouldn’t go an easy quarter million and more. Lower compression would help longevity.

All the veterans tell me stories how they ran balls to the wall, often hours on end. Over revving, lugging, poor lubrication at initial start up, that’s why they call it surplus! You never know what your going to get and how it was treated before you.

These motors really shouldn’t go above 2100rpm for maximum longevity. I cruise at 2000. That long stroke and high compression, I don’t know how some of y’all run at 2400 or 2500 rpm. You can hear she ain’t happy about it, engines have feelings too…..I try to listen to what she’s telling me. 🙃

Hummer Guy

The Multifuel is a durable design. If a man took a brand new Multifuel that was properly assembled, never abused it and ran modern oil filters from hour 1 I see no reason it wouldn’t go an easy quarter million and more. Lower compression would help longevity.

All the veterans tell me stories how they ran balls to the wall, often hours on end. Over revving, lugging, poor lubrication at initial start up, that’s why they call it surplus! You never know what your going to get and how it was treated before you.

These motors really shouldn’t go above 2100rpm for maximum longevity. I cruise at 2000. That long stroke and high compression, I don’t know how some of y’all run at 2400 or 2500 rpm. You can hear she ain’t happy about it, engines have feelings too…..I try to listen to what she’s telling me. 🙃
I'm the same here, I never take mine over 2100 Rpm, do you know if I should be mixing some kind of oil with the diesel? I always use straight diesel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks