• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many miles on a multi fuel?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today’s no.2 doesn’t lubricate like old stuff. I throw a quart of new motor oil in or 2 stroke oil works too. A quart or two per tank and you’ll never know the difference!
Or use Opti-Lube. One gallon of that will treat up to 512 gallons of diesel. I just bought a 5 gallon bucket for the club, with shipping it worked out to $54.49 a gallon. On a per gallon of diesel basis it's cheaper than motor oil or two stroke!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting tidbit: at the time, multifuel engines were state-of-the art in military vehicles. In Germany, trucks were so equipped in the 1950' and it is interesting to compare.

MAN (Motorfactory Augsburg/Neckar) that holds the patent for the US manufactured multifuel engines made several versions of their D 1246 MV3A 6-cylinder, 8.275 cm3 (505 cubic inches) .
The communality with our engine is the high compression ratio of 23:1 (on the later engines; 19:1 in the earlier) and the dazzling power output of 130 hp at 2,200 rpm is also comparable.

Here is a video of one running, very calmly. Love the sound.

Larry S.

The Multifuel is a durable design. If a man took a brand new Multifuel that was properly assembled, never abused it and ran modern oil filters from hour 1 I see no reason it wouldn’t go an easy quarter million and more. Lower compression would help longevity.

All the veterans tell me stories how they ran balls to the wall, often hours on end. Over revving, lugging, poor lubrication at initial start up, that’s why they call it surplus! You never know what your going to get and how it was treated before you.

These motors really shouldn’t go above 2100rpm for maximum longevity. I cruise at 2000. That long stroke and high compression, I don’t know how some of y’all run at 2400 or 2500 rpm. You can hear she ain’t happy about it, engines have feelings too…..I try to listen to what she’s telling me. 🙃
This my daily driver it has a DD 15 with an 8LL. It shuts down at 1900 rpm. I'm one of the lucky ones most of our other trucks shut down at 1725. Do you know how hard that makes it to shift pulling a hill loaded??

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Larry S. I am regularly floating a CAT323 with an International tri-axle with a Cummins N14 525 and an 18 speed. That engine is great until you put a heavy load to it, then it falls on its face, but that is another story. Point is, if I could not run the rpm up to beyond 1700 on the grades, I would not be shifting much. An rpm governor set in the 1700' would make for an even more lethargic drive. I would be curious if the service/maintenance feedback supports that drastic of a restriction, in the light of the operational penalties.

Larry S.

@Larry S. I am regularly floating a CAT323 with an International tri-axle with a Cummins N14 525 and an 18 speed. That engine is great until you put a heavy load to it, then it falls on its face, but that is another story. Point is, if I could not run the rpm up to beyond 1700 on the grades, I would not be shifting much. An rpm governor set in the 1700' would make for an even more lethargic drive. I would be curious if the service/maintenance feedback supports that drastic of a restriction, in the light of the operational penalties.
I have no clue why some of our dd15's are set at 1725 and some at 1900. They were set that way when they came from freightliner. I know I don't appreciate following those guys in the hills of southwestern pa! I liked my old 1991 400hp mack that governed out at 2200 rpm!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks