• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Much Boost

jwaller

m16ty said:
How do you keep your EGT under control when the water injection is off? Just keep your foot out of it?
yes. the almighty foot has that power. otherwise you would be under the hood all the time adjusting the fuel at the IP. I guess I could do it with the screw adjuster in the cab of the truck under the pedal but as long as you keep as eye on the egt's your fine.

Jakob

I'm interested in this water injection set up as well. I've used it on turbocharged cars, but just for the drag strip. How much water does the system use an hour per say?

jwaller

it uses about a gallon every 5-6 miles on my truck with high boost and nonstop use. for everyday normal use I say you prob would fill the 1 gal tank once per day. other larger tanks can certainly be used . it also depends on how hard you push it how much boost you run and where you set the turn on point. I can sell these kits complete for 575 shipped.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was reading TM trouble shooting the LDS 465-1 and seems like the numbers are real close to what some of you are saying.
They have 18-20 at 2400rpm full load and 8-10 at 1600rpm on the droop.
This TM is a real good one for trouble shooting low power fuel related problems.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floridianson said:
Was reading TM trouble shooting the LDS 465-1 and seems like the numbers are real close to what some of you are saying.
They have 18-20 at 2400rpm full load and 8-10 at 1600rpm on the droop.
This TM is a real good one for trouble shooting low power fuel related problems.
Which TM are you referring to, don't think I have seen boost listed in any?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Which TM are you referring to, don't think I have seen boost listed in any?
It's in the LDS 465 Troubleshooting Manual, page 34, fig 41 (last one on first page of technical manuals listing)
Very informative, very complete!
G.

Jakob

kipman said:
quick question, when done right, and safe as this post reads, what kind of HP gain can one get?
From my understanding, you don't actually gain horsepower from running water injection. It just lowers your EGT's so you can turn up fuel/boost to make more power. Someone who knows better than I can confirm or deny that.

jwaller

I would imagine I have been able to add about 100hp to my truck. corkey bell says that you get about 10hp per psi of boost added and I've added at least 10psi if not more and I still run egt's in the area of stock.

DanMartin

m16ty said:
m-35tom, Intercoolers take up alot of room (witch I'm not sure you have on a m35).
I'll bet there's room for one of these water/air intercoolers in there (or one like it..the below pic is just an example of what's available), especially if one were to remove the air filter assembly (re-locate to the outside using a 5-ton air filter can). Plumbing to the heat exchanger mounted to the front of the radiator should be possible (these are typically very thin).

Some of these are down to the 12"x6"x6" range.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/LAMain.html

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This post has some interesting ideas. It would be nice to have a truck dynoed before the mods for a basline and then after the mods to see the improvement. I have no idea what a stock truck would put to the rear wheels hp wise. Anybody know?

jwaller

I tried to have my truck dyno'd but with a tach signal they couldnt do it. so what I did was time myself from 2000rpms in 5th gear and go WOT and see how long it took to accelerate to 2500 rpms. I was able to knock about 3.4 sec off my time.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jwaller said:
.... I was able to knock about 3.4 sec off my time.
....which prior to mods was a total of ??? secs.

Interesting procedure but 3.4 sec just doesn't tell me enough... Sorry!

G.

jwaller

gringeltaube said:
jwaller said:
.... I was able to knock about 3.4 sec off my time.
....which prior to mods was a total of ??? secs.

Interesting procedure but 3.4 sec just doesn't tell me enough... Sorry!

G.
ya I know. it's hard to correlate.

I dropped about 1.9 seconds with the increase in fuel/boost.

then when I added the water inj and was able to add more fuel and boost I got the rest of it.

I guess I need to go out and get another timed run and then you guys can run your truck and make a comparison.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks