• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much can a 5 ton tow?

chess

Well I put a 4000 gallon tank on mine plus a pump and plumbing. So I'm guessing more than 20 tons of weight. And with 16.00 xzl tires. They can break easily. If you put the wrong person. But I know how to drive and I go months without having downtime.

davo727

Are those 6 lug axles on that trailer?? Looks like it...

View attachment 491461

The opposite of what we are looking for here. My friends were all busy when GL load out day came, I was too excited to wait. I was in the middle of building my service body set up for welding. The fender clearance was nearly nothing after I got the truck loaded I would I was sure it was going to ruin the tires by the time I got home. Everything turned out okay though.

Csm Davis

View attachment 491461
The opposite of what we are looking for here. My friends were all busy when GL load out day came, I was too excited to wait. I was in the middle of building my service body set up for welding. The fender clearance was nearly nothing after I got the truck loaded I would I was sure it was going to ruin the tires by the time I got home. Everything turned out okay though.
Yeah a 21000 lbs truck on a trailer rated to carry 12000 lbs is not a good idea. You should have put the pickup on the trailer and pulled with the 931

BEASTMASTER

I hauled three loads of quarry boulders for a friend that had to line his backyard so the river wouldn't take anymore of his property. each load was over 15 ton on my 61 m51. it was slow going but she kept on going.

Bighurt

View attachment 491461
Yeah a 21000 lbs truck on a trailer rated to carry 12000 lbs is not a good idea. You should have put the pickup on the trailer and pulled with the 931
I'm going to have to agree.

I realize we all do dumb stuff or get away with something unsafe and live.

However posting something like that is supporting the wrong behavior that potentially could get someone killed or the hobby under fire. In the future please refrain from posting successful acts of stupidity.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I do not know about the weight but our m52s in Vietnam would pull ANYTHING hooked to it, dragging tires at times, slow, very slow at times, we would pull everything from our portable primary crushers fully rigged, complete portable concrete plants again fully rigged, a complete 100t track mount crane, we had Rodgers and lacrosse low beds loaded so heavy that the under side of the frame would drag on anything but a flat surface.

Last edited:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter

However posting something like that is supporting the wrong behavior that potentially could get someone killed or the hobby under fire. In the future please refrain from posting successful acts of stupidity.
Roger that I just drive them from the bases now. Also not 6 lug in my experience I haven't come across deck over trailers with 6 lug axles.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey guys as I give a bit more thought to the above comments. This thread is dedicated to sharing how much we have hauled with a 5 ton. A truck that is rated to GVWR 52,000 lbs. Granted I surpassed my trailers capacity by 7,000 lbs and the truck is not rated to pull the 931. However there are postings that state loads at and in excess of 100,000 lbs. So if we are handing out "Successful acts of stupidity" slaps on the wrist all should receive a rap.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All legal matters aside, the 5-ton trucks are very conservatively rated. I've got a Mack with 44,000lb rear suspension and the 5-ton setup is every bit as big. The frame and brakes are also comparable to most over the road trucks. About the only thing they lack compared to civilian heavy trucks is the engine power.

You don't really have enough bed space to overload a cargo model and a tractor model will hold a 80,000lb load.

All that being said, there are legal ramifications for exceeding the GVWR of a vehicle.

cumminsbandit

We used the M923A2 last Sat to haul the mud trucks to mud fest. It worked really well for this! The 85 chevy short box just fits in the bed perfectly! With the truck in the back and the loaded trailer the (big) truck only squatted 1" !!! And i think it was all in the tires! haha

And some pictures of the fun!

And i didn't play in the mud with the 6x6... maybe next time!?

Attachments

charger53

We used the M923A2 last Sat to haul the mud trucks to mud fest. It worked really well for this! The 85 chevy short box just fits in the bed perfectly! With the truck in the back and the loaded trailer the (big) truck only squatted 1" !!! And i think it was all in the tires! haha

And some pictures of the fun!

And i didn't play in the mud with the 6x6... maybe next time!?
How about pics of the loading and unloading? I would need ramps 30 ft long to load anything like that in mine!

How about pics of the loading and unloading? I would need ramps 30 ft long to load anything like that in mine!
actually all you would need is a set of ramps to from the front of the trailer to the back of the truck and just drive the mud truck from the trailer in to the bed of the truck. My buddy does the same thing when he loads his atvs on his pickup and small trailer.

cumminsbandit

I made 10' ramps and we can drive the truck right on from the ground! It sounds nuts but works good. when the trailer is on we do load from trailer to truck. Ill post some picks and make a you tube vid the next time we load it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks