• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much can a 5 ton tow?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the M39 dump truck, the highway numbers are 22 000 lbs empty weight, 20 000 pay load, 30 000 lbs towed, makes a legal allowed GVW of 72 000 lbs. For off-road, this would be 47 000 lbs. This is more or less the same for the other M39s; the M52 tractor has a lighter empty weight and 55 000 towed, a max allowed GVW of 73 300 lbs

I made my M52A1 with the 176 hp multi fuel engine street legal in the Netherlands. Compared with the Dutch DoT service doing those test, the Spanish Inquisition is a day on the beach.

Nevertheless, they rated the truck GVW at almost 93 7000 lbs, but that was with a modern "fish mouth coupling" (pintle is not legal in Europe) and a modern 5th wheel (my truck can switch between dump and tractor). However, as Karl said, really pulling that load could be dangerous.

Disclaimer:
:soapbox:

GVW. We all agree that these trucks can carry/pull quite a lot more than they are rated for but the two most important overriding questions are "can I do it safely (for myself and others) and is it legal". So for the OP: when driving on any public road, not more than max allowed according the official papers, and less if that is for whatever reason not to be recommended (old brakes comes to mind).

:rant:

:oops: I read the whole thread, but just now realized it started in 2013. Whatever, maybe somebody else can use this info as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks