• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much does a deuce bed weigh ?

jeli

When we were at Alfa Heaven there was a Deuce cab sitting on a skid and I said it would be cool to put in the living room, to sit in while watching TV. But I like the idea of a Deuce bed, can you get a posture pedic Deuce bed?
Well I know a deuce cab bare doesn't weight 2000 lbs!!!

Since we are on the subject. Could a deuce bed be made into a trailer simply by hanging axles and springs under the bed frame alng with a tongue? I'm talking 5K or 7K axles to tow behind a pickup. I'm not sure if I like the springs hanging on just a 34" width and I'm not sure if those bed rails would take a 10K gross weight once in a while.

frodobaggins

Well I know a deuce cab bare doesn't weight 2000 lbs!!!

Since we are on the subject. Could a deuce bed be made into a trailer simply by hanging axles and springs under the bed frame alng with a tongue? I'm talking 5K or 7K axles to tow behind a pickup. I'm not sure if I like the springs hanging on just a 34" width and I'm not sure if those bed rails would take a 10K gross weight once in a while.
That was exactly my plan until I talked with the guy who made the "hillbilly" trailer.
He said the tires will hit the bed, needs some more frame under it.

paulfarber

Most of a duces weight is the axles and frame and engine/tranny/transfer. A single axle has to be about 1000lbs+ complete. the frame is not much, and the bed is sheet steel. A full tire/rim is about 100lbs.

The springs torsion bars etc are all pretty hefty units. But the bed... nothing to it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear axle weight 870#. Wheel/ tire combo (70% tread) 172#. Bed weight 2000# (Except Farber's bed). (Known weights not estimates)

GoHot229

I'm with Jeli, I too would think that a Deuce bed would make such a perfect bed why not.... of course you'd need to buy steel for the frame rails, say 8"x 1/4" Chanel, or square tubing or whatever you can come up with that would suit the purpose of rails. It wouldnt be 'low' but it would be clean. Of course you could use 16" tires and gain a handfull of inches, lowering it some, mabe as much as 3/4 the 900x20 heigth.

jeli

Someone mentioned using M105 axles. I think the bolster trailer rims are 16.5 tires with the deuce bolt pattern. It wouldn't carry too much weight but a deuce bed trailer with M105 axles and humvee tires would look pretty bad.

paulfarber

Rear axle weight 870#. Wheel/ tire combo (70% tread) 172#. Bed weight 2000# (Except Farber's bed). (Known weights not estimates)
Where is this 2000# lb number coming from? A scale? A book?

Just curious. Like I said, two people had no trouble with a drop side (moving it, lifting it). We didn't pick it up and carrry it, but it was not difficult to move or lift.

Are you including any frame parts?

I just had the complete rear end (torch cut 10 inches behind the cab) of a CCKW dump truck in the air (less bogey assy) on a 1 ton HF gantry. That's 12ft+ of frame, a complete heil lift cylinder and lift subframe, and a bed. We used a 2 ton chain-fall to raise it up.

By the book it was supposed to be 3k, but without the bogey I bet it was way less than 2k.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That weight is for a bed with troop seats and mud flaps. No bows or pioneer tools. Was measured with a crane scale on a friends knuckle-boom, one of them fancy digital fellers. Lose the troop seats and mud flaps and prolly get it down to 1800#

paulfarber

Wow, was the scale in calibration?

Maybe at Raush creek we can get someones duece and put a guy on each corner and see f they are lifting 2000lbs. (500lbs per man). I think it will be more like 200 each.... not a whole heck of a lot.

Unless I had the aluminum version of the bed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it coulda been out of calibration, I never asked to see the documents. I'll buy lunch for any 4 Steel Soldiers members that can pack off a deuce bed by hand. I know they sure do put a lean to my wrecker when lifting from the side!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny is right they are about 1800 bare. I scrapped one that had about 3-4 feet cut off and it weighed 1438 lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks