• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much work is a

beachbummer

i spoke with a fried who owns a diesel mechanic shop. He does the work for a local car lot that buys and sales deuces. I told him i was thinking of buying a deuce. He asked me if I was crazy. He said you always work on them, and the government will not let you get some parts for them. I have not herd of this. I do understand they require work, but from his standpoint they are not worth owning. SO whats up? How much do they break down, and also he said when they do break they really cost a ton of money to fix. Lets here your horror stories about deuces breaking, and the repair bills. Mind you most of the work will be done by me!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine rarely ever break and I can get any part I need for it. I think he is crazy.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I dont own a deuce, but something bigger, I have never heard of someone cant find parts for a MV, even most ww2s , the break down thing depends on how you treat and maintain your MV

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your friend needs a reality check. My Deuce is very reliable. I drove deuces in the Army (multifuel and gassers) years ago and again all experience shows them to be reliable. You need to remember that these trucks are mostly 40+ years old now. Even so, they are reliable. Getting parts is absolutely not a problem. If you want a Deuce go for it, but I would advise not buying one from your friend. Get one from GL or buy one from someone that is reliable and knows what they are talking about. I'd offer to sell you mine, but I like it too much to sell it for what it's worth!

Heavysteven

Parts are easy to find. Some are cheap others not.

Repair bill, i could not afford for someone to work on mine. You really have to buy the tools and do the work yourself. They require pcms and most are 40+ years old.

Search for a thread named the true ownership cost of a deuce

bigtoyman

gut wrenching story of breakdown

One of my trucks died coming back from OK city.
Replaced fuel pump with used fleabay pump: 40 bucks
Labor: 10 minutes
My hands got greasy and I smelled like diesel.
Amazing what the human spirit can endure.

DieselBob

He said you always work on them, and the government will not let you get some parts for them.
You can spend a lot of time and money on one that was not maintained very well or was run hard, or just has a lot of miles, just like any other 40+ year old vehicle. Given a little time and effort you can get any part you need for the deuce. Except maybe the elusive flux capacitor.

RAYZER

Deuces are easy to work on and parts are easy to find. There less to maintain than a lot of other vehicles and more rewarding! I bought a parts deuce so I have spare parts so mine will run on forever!

unclemikey

I think I would question your friend. I lost a trans in my Deuce, had to pay $50 for a new rebuilt one in the box from that same government. Took me and a friend to change out in an evening. Oh......the pain. They are about as simple as a model "A".

Consider, if they were so unrelable, why would our military have had them in inventory for so many years, and in conditions that are not only dangerous, but downright hostile many times?

Anyway, I love my Deuce. All of S/S loves their Deuces. And you will love your Deuce when you get yours! 2cents

P.S. Come on guys, throw in some :ditto:s

197thhhc

I have had old muscle cars that are harder to find parts for and they broke down much more often. If you really break a deuce down to nuts and bolts you really cant find a much simpler and overbuilt vehicle. Hopefully your friend will tell more people this too. That way there will be more deuces for me.:jumpin:

KsM715

I bet the mech. just doesnt care for the deuce, he has no interest in them. When he has to work on them and do research to find parts he gets frustrated because he can just walk over to the computer and punch in a part# and have the part delivered to his door.

bratpackdad

That's bonkers.....Uncle Sammy has no control over parts for the deuce nor does it care. I can buy parts all day long, enough to build a fleet of M35A2's.

As far as break downs? Mine has yet to explode and stop running. It depends on how well you maintain it. Same as with anything. The trucks are old and need care. But if you do regular minor repairs and service it will keep running long after you and I are gone.

davidkroberts

i have had tons of military vehicles and now drive at least one everyday as a daily driver.

A m35A2 is a 40 year old diesel truck that uses very simple mechanical parts (instead of electrical) that from time to time do go down. IMHO about 90% of the time a test light, common handtools, some electrical connectors, and a flashlight are about all that is required to fix most little problems. Things like generators, brake wheel cylinders and switches are easily souced through a ton of reputable dealers many of them are members here.

We had a run-away motor in a m35A2 today that was fixed to like new condition with a cup of naptha, a screw driver, and a 3/8 closed end wrench. That was a stuck open injection pump. These curb side fixes are the norm not the exception. With a bunch of good repair manuals and this website most likely you arent going to run into any real bad problems unless you get like some of the rest of us and have tons of this stuff lying around. Then its just a matter of odds honestly.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine rarely ever break and I can get any part I need for it. I think he is crazy.
100% accurate.

clintogf and I have had dozens of deuces and currently have 8 between the 2 of us. I have driven them all over since 2006. Here's what I've had to do:

1 set of head gaskets
multiple axle seals
2 master cylinders
2 airpacks
front axle boots
2 flasher relays
1 turn signal switch
1 transmission (blown up input bearing)
various light bulbs
1 worn out door latch mechanism
1 stripped out window regulator and broken window as a result
1 tach cable
1 speedo cable
2 leaking radiators (repaired at local shop)
several broken mirrors
ripped seat covers

Buy one CUCV and you'll have all those problems in the first week rofl

colelkhunter

I have a CUCV and a deuce, have done way more work to the CUCV than the deuce. If it is treated properly and maintained it will last another 40 years at least. Once they are running properly it's kinda hard to tear them up to a point that they won't run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks