• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to add an EGT gauge with a PID

Reworked LMTV

Avoid silent death-How to add an EGT gauge with a PID

Here is an inexpensive way to add an EGT exhaust gas temperature gauge. I will be increasing the accuracy of this unit by adding a cold junction compensation mechanism. This particular unit I already had and it reads in Celsius. You will want to get the appropriate voltage PID and there are probes available in Fahrenheit. I paid about $25 for a 120v pid and probe on eBay. Have inverter.

https://youtu.be/t29zQftbcHQ

https://youtu.be/bOCtLQhGkaE

Tapping the exhaust manifold was fairly easy. Do not buy the glow shift drill 1/8 npt drill bit and tap set from Amazon! The tap will break and you'll have to tear the turbo off to get the chunk out. Buy a very good quality tap and drill from somebody like Fastenal.

Last edited:

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea. After looking at yours I may get one and use the contacts function as alarm contact to give audible alarm at high setpoint. Fleabay has multiple choices

Reworked LMTV

The 3116 and 3126 are good engines, but they do not have the water cooled cylinder sleeves. Therefore, they are less forgiving of intense exhaust heat which could easily lead to a dropped valve, melted pistons, etc., which leads to a catastrophic engine failure.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3116 and 3126 are good engines, but they do not have the water cooled cylinder sleeves. Therefore, they are less forgiving of intense exhaust heat which could easily lead to a dropped valve, which leads to a catastrophic engine failure.
Under what circumstances does the "intense exhaust heat" happen? Is this something that creeps up and causes failures? Is it something you have to be careful of when doing more heavy use, like towing heavy trailers? Should everyone be interested in putting on these gauges (and why aren't they there in the first place), or just certain users?

coachgeo

Under what circumstances does the "intense exhaust heat" happen? Is this something that creeps up and causes failures? Is it something you have to be careful of when doing more heavy use, like towing heavy trailers? Should everyone be interested in putting on these gauges (and why aren't they there in the first place), or just certain users?
Pretty much it is for anyone who has turned up their IP or similar that takes the engine outside its OEM parameters should consider installing and EGT Guage. Same if your pushing the rig on the end line of its parameters often then one should consider it. For everyone else with careful long term recording and careful data reviews, you might can catch some issues before your seat of the pants / heavier foot needed might feel it.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lugging it also causes high EGTs.

Long steep uphill climbs with a heavy load risk elevated EGTs.

In theory, stock settings won't take your EGTs beyond tolerable limits.

High EGTs are bad because diesel pistons tend to be made from aluminum alloys with a melting point of 1200ish.

(George just said most of this. Not sure why I feel obligated to repeat it)

Reworked LMTV

My engine is stock. I think that it is particularly important to watch the temps on a 290 hp 3116 or a 3126 at max hp. There is a somewhat linear relationship between boost and EGT's, from what I have seen. The temp may not go down for 3-5 seconds of backing off the throttle.

I am still experimenting and will add additional electronics to improve the accuracy of this set up.

ramdough

So, what exactly are you using the PID function for?

Or, are you just using the temp gauge reading to tell you to lay off the skinny pedal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Neither of the videos are available?
just a heads up to help you out....... it helps to quote a post so:

1. everyone does not have to cruise back thru all the post to see what a poster is referring too.... and
2. Very often if one quotes a thread..... the member whom was quoted ... will get an email notification about them being quoted.

have (another) great day rainy OH day

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
I guess I assumed that when its only a 2 page post (so far), and the very 1st post by the OP is the only one with a video, this would be easy to figure out....
Let me try again...

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Here is an inexpensive way to add an EGT exhaust gas temperature gauge. I will be increasing the accuracy of this unit by adding a cold junction compensation mechanism. This particular unit I already had and it reads in Celsius. You will want to get the appropriate voltage PID and there are probes available in Fahrenheit. I paid about $25 for a 120v pid and probe on eBay. Have inverter.

https://youtu.be/t29zQftbcHQ

https://youtu.be/bOCtLQhGkaE

Tapping the exhaust manifold was fairly easy. Do not buy the glow shift drill 1/8 npt drill bit and tap set from Amazon! The tap will break and you'll have to tear the turbo off to get the chunk out. Buy a very good quality tap and drill from somebody like Fastenal.
Even copying and pasting the url directly into chrome doesn't work for the video.

coachgeo

I guess I assumed that when its only a 2 page post (so far), and the very 1st post by the OP is the only one with a video, this would be easy to figure out....
Let me try again...
sorta but nah; not really, cause often a user settings are to go directly to last post of newly responded too threads thus user has no clue; without hunting, if reference is only one page back or 90 pages back

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks