• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to clean out old pics

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How in the He!! do you clean out old pictures out of what ever so new ones can be posted, this sucks, what is the point of posting a build if you can not post pictures to go along with the post.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's no need to use profanity. Why are you not able to upload pics? Are you clicking on manage attachments? In there you can review all the images you've uploaded. And you can click to remove individual images if need be. But there should not be a limitation to the number of pics you can upload. There are however a limit per post of images. If that's the case, and you want only certain images in the specific post, you'll have to click on manage attachments and remove the images you wish, then upload the ones you wish. But I'd like to have a better understanding of what your issue exactly is?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I up loaded 10 pictures at a time as per the instructions, the first 10 and the second 10 were fine, they downloaded 10 in each post a they should, the uploader would only allow me to up load 6, which I down loaded, could not up load any more, when I deleted the first 26 by accident, I was then allowed to upload the rest of the pictures which I down loaded in the post to ONLY then to find out that my first 26 pictures were GONE. It seems that I have about 400 pictures, most if not all are OLD because I have not done the picture thing because of the hassle involved since the "upgrade"

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As faw as I can see, there is NO WAY to delete old pictures, I can copy, save as, link to, and a few more options but NO DELETE

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's only 20 images allowed per post. Outside of that, you'll have to make an additional post. But I'm not sure how you were prompted to upload another 6 images since the 20 attachments per post is global. (Even I can't post more than that per post) Please make sure to only do 20 at a time.

And as to the "upgrade". The "upgrade" only happened a few years now. It's not going back (couldn't now even if I tried, and not going to due to the broken php in the last version). Matter of fact, they'll be upgrades to come.

dmetalmiki

Patracy. Hmm, I just went through all the proceedure you outlined..and NO there is NO option to delete as instructed. Any further advice on how to actually delete old unwanted pictures?. Thanks in advance.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There's only 20 images allowed per post. Outside of that, you'll have to make an additional post. But I'm not sure how you were prompted to upload another 6 images since the 20 attachments per post is global. (Even I can't post more than that per post) Please make sure to only do 20 at a time.

And as to the "upgrade". The "upgrade" only happened a few years now. It's not going back (couldn't now even if I tried, and not going to due to the broken php in the last version). Matter of fact, they'll be upgrades to come.
I only uploaded 10 then down loaded them in a post, then uploaded 10, then down loaded that ten to a second post, then tried to upload the next 10, but was only allowed to up load 6 which I down loaded to a third post, then afterscrewing around trying to make "room", I found that after I accidentally deleted the first three down loads, I could further upload the rest of the pictures in batches of ten. as each batch 10 was uploaded, I then down loaded the 10 in a separate post, then went for the next batch of 10, then again to a separate post, AT NO TIME did I try to upload or download more the 10 ????? Just seems there is not enough room, at least that is how it has acted.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For historical purposes, here's a screenshot of my previous post.
1stupload.jpg

So here's how to manipulate the images. Click on the edit of the post in question, then click on manage attachments. The full fledged attachment manager will open up.

2ndscreenshot.jpg

You can see the pic I uploaded there. If you hover over it, you'll see the X on the top right to remove it. (Added the red square and text of course to this pic)
3rdscreenshot.jpg

Once you click on that you can remove the image from the post. If it's embedded with the {attachment} tag (only in [ ] marks) in the post, you'll need to remove the embed as well or it'll reinsert it. Notice the verbiage just above the attach window, if it's not used within the hour it's deleted from the system.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I can pull pictures from post BUT can NOT dump them from the picture storage after they are there for a while, that is how I deleted the first 26, the rest have no delete option

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Correct. If the image is used elsewhere on the site, it remains. If it's not, then a cron (automated) job will clean it up from the server. If you uploaded a pic and then went back and deleted it years later, the cron isn't going to pick that up.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the issue is, there's no way to delete pictures in the uploader you uploaded a long time ago...

And the whole "it'll be deleted in an hour"...

I've attached a picture I uploaded sometime in 2011 or 2012, when I was at Ft. Sill for EW school.

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I can pull pictures from post BUT can NOT dump them from the picture storage after they are there for a while, that is how I deleted the first 26, the rest have no delete option
This seems to be the problem, the storage is full, why I do not know BUT it is full and will anymore uploads till some stuff is dumped, the ONLY stuff that is allowed to be dumped is NEW stuff, the OLD stuff needs to go, the new stuff needs to stay ???

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I only uploaded 10 then down loaded them in a post, then uploaded 10, then down loaded that ten to a second post, then tried to upload the next 10, but was only allowed to up load 6 which I down loaded to a third post, then afterscrewing around trying to make "room", I found that after I accidentally deleted the first three down loads, I could further upload the rest of the pictures in batches of ten. as each batch 10 was uploaded, I then down loaded the 10 in a separate post, then went for the next batch of 10, then again to a separate post, AT NO TIME did I try to upload or download more the 10 ????? Just seems there is not enough room, at least that is how it has acted.
Manage attachments with the pop up window allows for 10 image uploads (or other attachments). However if you use the Quick Reply window and click on the image icon above it, you can embed up to 20 images per post. Course this is done image by image.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This seems to be the problem, the storage is full, why I do not know BUT it is full and will anymore uploads till some stuff is dumped, the ONLY stuff that is allowed to be dumped is NEW stuff, the OLD stuff needs to go, the new stuff needs to stay ???
There is no limit.
uploadsettings.jpg

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Manage attachments with the pop up window allows for 10 image uploads (or other attachments). However if you use the Quick Reply window and click on the image icon above it, you can embed up to 20 images per post. Course this is done image by image.
So I can go around Manage attachments where a full uploader will not affect the post ?, still HOW do you clean out the up loader

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I can go around Manage attachments where a full uploader will not affect the post ?, still HOW do you clean out the up loader
You can use the picture icon above the text window in either quick reply or full reply. (Middle row of icons between the two world icons and the quote bubble icon) This will give you the option to insert an image embedded into your post. (Or delete the embed and it will remain in the post as a attachment in the attachment window) You do not clean out the uploaded images. There is not a limit to uploads here.

dmetalmiki

Nope! all those instructions and page posted showing a red x do not work. I (and I presume we all) Do NOT have a small red x at that top right. I (We) Do have a blue question mark ? where you had a red x is all. so NO option to delete.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks