• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to engage the front axle?

Dhallftworth

That is the hi/low lever for your transfer case. The front axle is engaged with a sprag clutch if it is not air operated. The air operated will have a small lever with a indicator light under the edge of the dash. The sprag only engages the front axle when the rear drive shaft turns faster than the front, meaning the rear tires would be spinning, then it would engage the front axle if it is working properly.
Actually, the hi/lo is to the left of the transmission shifter. The shifter to the right engages the front wheels.

Dhallftworth

I've got a 5 hour drive ahead of me to get them, but I'll post them up tonight. I may get some from underneath, but if it's wet, you're only getting pics from the top. Lol

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wonder if someone hooked a lever to a sprag Tcase? Thats the only thing I could think of.

Is there a forward, neutral, and reverse?

phil2968

Sorry I did not catch the to the right part! Sounds like someone may have converted an air shift to manual. I think that would be a first. Waitin' for the pics!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Isn't what we're describing a REB kit by Memphis?

jatonka

Yes Clinto, the REB kit changed a sprag transfer case to a lever operated front axle engagement. It included a lot more than just a lever as 2 gears had to be changed in the transfer case and the spag unit removed. It wasn't a bad job as it was all in the tophat front section of the transfer case. I had a 1964 M35A1 with a REB kit and I have another spare transfer case with a REB kit in it. It's a shame that Memphis Equip stopped making them, they say there isn't any call for them since the air shift transfers came out. JT

jatonka

REB kit

It stands for: Reo Eager Beaver. The name given to the M34 cargo truck designed in 1948 and produced first in 1950

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, that's exactly it .... what I thought when I read your post #11. Thanks for taking the time to shoot some pics. I had never seen one, installed.

I suppose that you have the correct gears also (T22/T33, vs. stock T21/T34), to have the same ratio - front to rears...?
I know the loggers in my area; all they have is the old style T-136-21 sprag T-cases (from the old gasser-Reo's). So normally they end up with a similar (manual-shift) conversion by eliminating the sprags, but then leaving the stock gears in place. Not perfect, but certainly a lot cheaper... and at least the driver knows he will have front wheel traction when needed.

And if you think about it, that's actually all the Sprag-TC system has to give: enhancing/ improving total traction by assisting the rear wheels - but only when they slip 8% or more - compared to vehicle "ground"-speed.

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok, so now can we pick on other things?

Whats the string tied to the seat, tied to the shifter, with the remote reservoir in there doing? :)