• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"How to get a HET in life..." - M1070 Acquisition thread

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a poor photo of the lights at night. A bit of dust in the air from the haboob.

They are very, very, stupid bright on high beam.

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
het-67.jpg

I painted my convoy light beacon mount to match the cab.

het-66.jpg

I also finally painted the replacement passenger side tank step.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to clean up my bumper and repaint it, as well as add some bumper numbers to the truck.

het-68.jpg

The 1070 bumper is pretty stout, it is difficult to move by yourself. I think the cutouts in the bottom may be a "crumple" zone so that it folds right there if you hit something too hard.

het-70.jpg

The front shackle mounts are pretty thick and look to be on there pretty good.

het-69.jpg

With the bumper removed you get a better view of the steering gearbox.

het-71.jpg

After the touch up paint had dried, I added the tan boxes.

het-72.jpg

They came out pretty good.

het-73.jpg het-74.jpg

I allowed 2 days to dry between stages, which is probably overkill. As much care as I took in trying to get it perfect, something still always happens - overspray or stencils bleeding through. Oh well, it adds to the authenticity. If I wanted to do it "right" I'm sure I'd use smaller stencils and not even worry about overspray, probably even try for it.

het-75.jpg het-76.jpg

I really like the way the black numbers on the tan background looks.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why I picked the bumper numbers I did -

I know it typically goes like this -

Major Command-------Unit
Minor Command-------Vehicle Number

But the HET ironically doesn't have a lot of front real estate to put lots of busy looking bumper numbers.

257th Transportation Company seemed cool so I put those numbers on there. A lot of their vehicles I looked at recently had only 257TC rather than what command they were part of as well.

In December my dad passed away - Through the 60s, 70s, and 80s he drove a nitro funny car.

His license number was 708 and since it was a Funny car license, 708FC. This is typically listed on the side of the car.

het-78.jpg het-79.jpg het-77.jpg het-81.jpg het-80.jpg

So I thought it'd be kinda cool to use that as a bumper number.

The Phoenix car went to Australia and New Zealand in 1977 and was sold there. It is still in New Zealand now and is restored and runs.

het-84.jpg het-83.jpg het-82.jpg

Probably the only thing the HET and a funny car have in common is that they both have Detroit blowers.

M920

HET looks good Matt.....more then I can say about the Chaffee.....lol! But then I guess the "seat-cover" in the HET makes more then up for it.....
:beer:

Soni

kainedogg

Anymore pics or updates by chance. I really love this thread. Now that I have my 5 acres and wife is ready to retire, this would be an awesome acquisition.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is 5 acres enough to turn it around?
It actually turns pretty sharp for as large as it is because of the rear steering.

Anymore pics or updates by chance. I really love this thread. Now that I have my 5 acres and wife is ready to retire, this would be an awesome acquisition.
Nothing as of late, been working on my 870 trailer and haven't done anything with the HET in some time. Our annual show is this weekend and I'll take the HET and should be able to get some photos.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks