• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get my new deuce home?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the case if yours, it had an erdalator body on it. Basically it was a van body that had a 1500 GPH water purification unit inside.
Kenny, How in the heck can you tell this by the single front pic posted? Am I missing something? :?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, How in the heck can you tell this by the single front pic posted? Am I missing something? :?
I was wondering how long it would take for this question to pop up. Erdalators were very heavy. So heavy in fact that the Gov't feared that if they slung the truck from a gantry or crane for shipward movement, the frame may bend. The Gov't solution was a lifting kit. These can only be found in the erdalator TM and as far as all my research has shown, the only truck to ever get the kit. The pic of his M45A2 shows the kit installed. Here is a line drawing from the TM and a pic of the kit. Once you see this, it will all make sense and I will no longer seem like CARNAC.

Attachments

paramedic7831

other things to bring that comes to mind:
can of ether
charged cell phone
brake fluid
tools
flash light
Make sure thermo, oil pressure guages work....speedo lol dont worry about that one lol
gps if available for searching nearest auto part store or wmart.
GL on the trip

area52

I was wondering how long it would take for this question to pop up. Erdalators were very heavy. So heavy in fact that the Gov't feared that if they slung the truck from a gantry or crane for shipward movement, the frame may bend. The Gov't solution was a lifting kit. These can only be found in the erdalator TM and as far as all my research has shown, the only truck to ever get the kit. The pic of his M45A2 shows the kit installed. Here is a line drawing from the TM and a pic of the kit. Once you see this, it will all make sense and I will no longer seem like CARNAC.

Oh the wise and wonderful knowledge of Kenny.......... All hail Kenny!!! :not worthy:

just poking fun!! Thats something new I learned today.

scoutmanadam

is it in ritzville or connel, im from the tri-cities and could offer you some assistance if needed. im busy saturday with my sons birthday around noonish but open suday, i could check it out for you or anything else if needed

Little Red

Thanks for the advise

thanks for all the advise, I think I am going to print out some sections of the service manuals and bring along plenty of spare fluids and tools and drive her home.
I could not find annybody to help me this Thursdays but I have a couple maybe's for next week Thursday.
So hope it all works out.

onegmjack

Nice truck, you should ask the Fire Dept. if they know what brake fluid was used in the 2006 brake repair. You would not want to add DOT3 to DOT5 or 5 to 3.It would be good to know for any future repairs.

onegmjack

I forgot to say if thet can't tell you then you will need to pull some out see if it will mix with water.I think DOT3 will mix with water but DOT5 want.You can do a search,it has been dicussed on here before.

AN/GRC-46

Don't forget to take a credit card with enough available to pay for an overnight at a motel if it breaks down somewhere. And the phone number of a heavy-duty towing outfit. You may need cash for a tow, and they're not cheap.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would drive it to the east side of the mountains, have it towed/hauled to the west side, then drive it home. No matter which route you take over the mountains, it is a lonnnnnggggg, steep drive down the other side. Even more exciting if the air system or brakes aren't at 100%.

Another option would be to take it down the Columbia River to avoid the mountains, but it would add a lot of miles to your trip.

Coalman

Just a thought do you need a tanker endosment beings it i a tank truck Here in Pa they where busting the local job jonny guys for not having it they wher only small tanks on the back of single axles

pdxkennyg

With hot batteries, it will probably just start right up and run. If it builds air for the brakes, (see air pressure guage) or just wait for the alarm to quit screaming, check the brake fluid, and if the brakes work, it shifts and has a good clutch( critical for slowing down if brakes fail) I would fuel her up, put on some hearing protection and just go for it. I did this twice myself, one from Salem Oregon to Portland, truck did 55mph on the freeway no problems. The second one wasn't as good, it was up in Idaho and I drove it as far as lewiston/clarkston, where both the brakes stopped working,,and then worse, a seal blew on the tranny, spewing oil on the clutch, disabling it. I pulled over and went and got a dumptruck to tow with, long story. drivers license rules for Oregon only No CDL if under Gross vehicle weight of 28,000 lbs deuce is only about 17,000.

Last edited:

Little Red

Just a thought do you need a tanker endosment beings it i a tank truck Here in Pa they where busting the local job jonny guys for not having it they wher only small tanks on the back of single axles
I dont think you do here in WA, but either way the tank will be removed before I am picking it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks