• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to Handle a Blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachgeo

Thanks to everyone about tire info and how in effect age can cause a blow out.

Now lets please get back to Original topid of ... What to do ..... if one has a blow out. Since we've been informed that the video info is empirically wrong for it has no correlation to an FMTV... what is right? Or is the video only half wrong? I don't know.... that's why was asking in the first place.

So maybe we can start with thoughts in "what would be difference in driving technique in a blow out situation with these AWD trucks"?

like say...
. Physics at play described in video don't change but methods in reacting to them in an AWD might? If so what would be the difference?
. Does tire width maybe play a role too... Could it be a blowout of a wide tire like FMTV trucks use, pull harder toward deflated side than a typical large truck drive tire? If so.. what do you do?? Just kiss your arse good bye orrr?
. Is it possible AWD could help in caring out techniques suggested in the vid?
. Is there other completely different techniques taught by the military?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The professional Michelin tech in the video said that the technique applies to any vehicle. I think rollovers due to blowouts occur when drivers do not have a firm hand on the wheel, and the side force discussed in the video rips the wheel from the hand and goes to full lock, resulting in rollover. When I had an 11.00-20 violently blow out on the front of my GMC deuce, I was able to easily steer to the shoulder.

coachgeo

The professional Michelin tech in the video said that the technique applies to any vehicle. I think rollovers due to blowouts occur when drivers do not have a firm hand on the wheel, and the side force discussed in the video rips the wheel from the hand and goes to full lock, resulting in rollover. When I had an 11.00-20 violently blow out on the front of my GMC deuce, I was able to easily steer to the shoulder.
That was my thoughts too.... physics does not change...... but... hey.. we were told it is wrong though it was possibly a bit of a biased response; yet don't want to assume anything. So honestly for everyone's sake wanting too really flush out anything we might be missing here. Got to admit maybe there is something different to consider doing because of the AWD. With AWD is The video and comparisons to past MV's relevant enough? Is there a section in the Operating Manual Volumes of the TM's on the subject?

Last edited:

The King Machine

though it does not answer your question..... one reason purchased the specific 1078 I did, was cause the seller had the skill and knowledge to build a ROP that could protect my cranium in case of a roll. Not that my cranium contains a brain with much knowledge in it:carnac:..... do find it a bit useful occasionally. Plan is to build a sturdy cage* in the bed to surround the Camper Box which is not going to be a STRONG box like an S788 or larger. Hope the cage will help some at least. Having rolled a Jeep and a Car in snow/Ice..... I like ROPs and Cages.

In your case would think your S280 should significantly help you out if a roll occurs but I've got no direct knowledge of that.

*just above cab height and also serve as hoops for some form of a bed cover and top Solar panels that stay installed even when camper box removed.

I can honestly say if my friend didn't have his box in the bed of his truck, he would have died.

Attachments

The King Machine

This incident was caused by ice on the road. Not blow out related, more to answer his question about the shelter helping in a roll over. The truck in the picture rolled over about 3-4 times. The cab would have pancaked on the rocks and trees. The shelter suffered puncture wounds, it is still being used today after the crash. Very tough

dmetalmiki

There you have it. Every situation is different. But as (I (and others)) said, "keeping a FIRM grip of the steering wheel at ALL times" Is going to be certainly 'Helpful' in controlling the situation.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The topic is how to handle a blowout.

Not how to handle ice or rain or hitting a chicken trying to cross the road.

It is also not about ROPS or FOPS or mops.

Please stay on topic.

Lmtv772

Banned
To bring this nonsense to an end , I talked to my 88mike friends who actually trained for this occasion.
The principles of the RV video apply to LMTV or HET or HEMTT the same way.

WILL! even if I reply I will not re-subscribe. I checked

aleigh

I've had two front tire blowouts on my M1078, neither of which were at full highway speed, so take this for whatever anecdotal worth you like. I've also lost tires in other vehicles at interstate speed. The truck drops significantly on that side - it is unmistakable - and pulls hard to that side, but, not so hard that it could not be managed by an alert driver, even, in my opinion, at speed. 8.5 tons is a lot of mass and it's not going to be so easily motivated to do something other than what it was doing a moment before the blowout. I don't see how it could cause a roll unless you went off the roadway, unless it was a super freak thing.

I run the goodyears. One thing I've observed is that the tire pressure has a lot to say about the sidewall temperature - too low PSI and I've seen my tires literally steam off the rain, which made me take it seriously. Sidewall temps probably? equate to weakened tires especially in older tires. I mean that's certainly the case in racing. I recommend people take their air pressures seriously and keep a pyrometer in the truck to measure the sidewall temps. I don't think these heavier trucks are like a whatever pickup on 32s where you can more or less run whatever pressure and it more or less works out. Good for measuring diff/etc temps too.

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 11.45.33 PM.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Lmtv772

Banned
after the blowout the truck pulls to the left. Driver over compensates to the right- truck rolls over.
One can clearly see , that the tire blew out resulting in the roll over. Truck was going 45mph which cause that truck to even flip in the air and land on its right side.

Most here wouldn't be able to handle a blowout in a Honda, but they want to make their LMTV go even faster , because they are too slow to them.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone over compensates to the right that causes the left to dip even more causing a roll to the left. This vehicle rolled on the right. How do you know how fast it was going based on a GP auction?

And do you know most of the people here personally? I know you have no idea what my driving experien e or ability is and I'm guessing thats true of the majority of people here. Are you basing that on the general public? The people I personally know on this site are above average drivers especially those with experience in larger trucks. I think you assume too much and then post those assumptions.

And besides, i thought you unsuscribed to this threa.

Status
Not open for further replies.