• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make a Hard Top ???

Prankster

Has anybody ever made their own homemade hard top?
My rag top was long gone before I bought it, and it looks like a strong brake metal tool could bend up a hefty top.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I read your post correctly, are you considering forming sheet steel to fit over a soft top frame?

If so, your idea is unique and is worth a study of the soft top frame for suitability. With hard tops fetching $500 to a grand, you have some space to consider you unique idea.

Rick

SFGABN@5th

Well if you make a buck out of wood and form the sheet metal over it it should be prity easy.

If you use 20 or 18 ga black iron some pipe for the side bends and clamps weld it all together and there you have it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both my M48 and M59 had homeade tops done over soft top frames. I can honestly say they were both junk though the M48's was done well. I'd just buy a take off for 4-500$ and be way ahead. If you still have the urge to build one, I believe roscommon had the directions.:cookoo:

Bighurt

I was thinking of ditching my hardtop till I saw the price...now instead of replace I intend to repair. I'll be following this thread.

I like the idea of improving the top, I'd like a visor, and possibly a roof rack.

greg2560

That post with the pdf link has some good info...Would take some time to build. I have seen a (fire truck) with a top like that lookd good...I will stick with a soft top.. Hard tops are like rideing in tin can lots of noise

Prankster

Benders

It seems I don't even have the frame for a soft top. I have a few tools such as a panel saw I can run with an abrasive wheel. A torch, a mad dog nibbler, and such. It has been years since I played auto body repairman.

The plan is to make it low in front with a protruding rounded bubble visor, then slanted to be high in the back. I once swapped in an air seat into a CJ5. (SinJin Motor Company) Every time I hit a bump I bashed the top of my head into the roof.

If I read your post correctly, are you considering forming sheet steel to fit over a soft top frame?

If so, your idea is unique and is worth a study of the soft top frame for suitability. With hard tops fetching $500 to a grand, you have some space to consider you unique idea.

Rick

Prankster

Swap a Top

I have been thinking on this project for a while: almost three days. I had even considered cutting the top off of a 1992 Ford CF 8000, and moving it over to the Deuce.

Have tape measure will travel.

Rick

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just buy an under $200 (NEW) soft top and then get the hardware for under (at max) another $100? (that's even not including what a used one is). Or spend 4-500 and get a good used hard top? My opinion is; that if one can't afford a used top, you probably have the wrong hobby. I have purchased several soft tops with hardware and a few (needing work) hard tops for under $100. You just have to look. Flame away.:roll:

466Navastar

Here in Buffalo - snowmobiles are big ....we used to spend a fortune on Arctic Cat aluminum belly pans- replacing one a year ---until we had a collision shop use a good pan to make a mould and then hand laid up fiberglass pans for a group of us guys who rode extra hard ----outside was gel coated and was a smooth as a corvette body.....took paint real well and lasted.......

Ill bet any good shop that works on corvettes could do it - esp if a number of roofs were needed

could also be a do it your self job for the more talented-----as long as release agent was properly put on the sample roof - not much risk of disaster.....and high probablility of success

Last edited:

Prankster

Rounded Corners

I like it!!! I know a little about using a steel door, and frame (Buck, & Wing) to bend light sheet metal but the hinges limit the depth of the bend. One problem with that, 8' doors don't grow on trees. So a homemade buck might be just the trick.

As for framing out the top section, Dom tubing is a better choice.
I just read that chrome-moly gets old fast.
Spec Miata Community: Roll Cage Safety - Mild Steel vs. Chrome-Moly

I once met a guy who used old wheel rims to bend all his metal needs: sometimes sheet-metal, but mostly pipe.

You are right about the: clamp, bend, and weld method.

Well if you make a buck out of wood and form the sheet metal over it it should be pretty easy.

If you use 20 or 18 ga black iron some pipe for the side bends and clamps weld it all together and there you have it.

Prankster

Rag tops

There are many reasons I dislike rag tops.

The flapping noise.
Yahoos with knives.
Winter cold
Sun Rot Short life span

It is not the money. If I had to do a rag top I would install it, and saturate it with fiberglass resin, and hardener to stiffen it up, and make it rock solid.

If I can find a cheap hard top in Stillwater Oklahoma I'll buy it. Now a days, shipping cost much more than buying the item.

I am always open to considering another person's views, and ideals.
That's how I learn things.

Why not just buy an under $200 (NEW) soft top and then get the hardware for under (at max) another $100? (that's even not including what a used one is). Or spend 4-500 and get a good used hard top? My opinion is; that if one can't afford a used top, you probably have the wrong hobby. I have purchased several soft tops with hardware and a few (needing work) hard tops for under $100. You just have to look. Flame away.:roll:

Prankster

Working with what you got

When I lived in Jakarta, we made motorcycle seats in that exact same way. You are right, it is a great plan!!! If there was a soft top already in place I would do just that. However, I gotta scrounge around for a few parts here, and a few more there.

Here in Buffalo - snowmobiles are big ....we used to spend a fortune on Arctic Cat aluminum belly pans- replacing one a year ---until we had a collision shop use a good pan to make a mold and then hand laid up fiberglass pans for a group of us guys who rode extra hard ----outside was gel coated and was a smooth as a corvette body.....took paint real well and lasted.......

Ill bet any good shop that works on corvettes could do it - esp if a number of roofs were needed

could also be a do it your self job for the more talented-----as long as release agent was properly put on the sample roof - not much risk of disaster.....and high probablility of success

quickfarms

You could use 1" styrofoam attached to the soft top frame with tie wire to keep it in place then file the edged and cores to get a nice shape and lay up some resin and mat over the top. Once it hardens you can cut the tie wires and remove the top and finnish the inside. fiberglas coated plywood or aluminum inserts could be added for the mounting points.

There are two types of styrofoam available at home depot and the others one type is compatable with polyester resin and the other type works with epoxy resin.

You could prodice a great top but it would be a lot of work.

You are probably better off just buying one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks