• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make a Hard Top ???

x-ray

This might sound crazy - but, what about a fiberglass replica of the original hardtop that actually looks close to the military configuration?

There are folks that professionally fabricate fiberglass covers for trucks, campers, etc. Wouldn't it seem logical to work with an OEM like that and resell to the MV market? I'm not up on my fabrication costs - Would the price be more than the current prices for surplus hard tops?

I suppose dealers like OD iron etc. have already done the math on this though, but I think the community might want to know what the price point is for something that looks good made of fiberglass -

I have seen some fiberglass units, but they look incredibly out of spec with the government lines and don't look so good.

chaoticone

If you want to do a fiberglass top you could use a good one for the mold and vaccum form one from it. Wouldn't be that expensive to set up or hard to do. Could also do Carbon Fiber instead of fiberglass (but the carbon fiber materials are pricy) the same way.

Brett

Prankster

making a new mold

I just love Styrofoam! Light weight, easy to work with, insulation, I will need to chew on this one for a while, but I like it.

You could use 1" styrofoam attached to the soft top frame with tie wire to keep it in place then file the edged and cores to get a nice shape and lay up some resin and mat over the top. Once it hardens you can cut the tie wires and remove the top and finish the inside. fiberglass coated plywood or aluminum inserts could be added for the mounting points.

There are two types of styrofoam available at home depot and the others one type is compatible with polyester resin and the other type works with epoxy resin.

You could produce a great top but it would be a lot of work.

You are probably better off just buying one.

Prankster

Marketing

Have you priced a fiberglass hard top for a Jeep, or a Geo Tracker? They start at $1200, and go up from there. However, the modifications are endless: mirrors, lights, vents, glass, and wipers.

I just love brainstorming with you guys.

This might sound crazy - but, what about a fiberglass replica of the original hardtop that actually looks close to the military configuration?

There are folks that professionally fabricate fiberglass covers for trucks, campers, etc. Wouldn't it seem logical to work with an OEM like that and resell to the MV market? I'm not up on my fabrication costs - Would the price be more than the current prices for surplus hard tops?

I suppose dealers like OD iron etc. have already done the math on this though, but I think the community might want to know what the price point is for something that looks good made of fiberglass -

I have seen some fiberglass units, but they look incredibly out of spec with the government lines and don't look so good.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I saw that Boyce Equipment sells hard tops and hoods for our trucks, for $700 plus shipping.

Boyce Equipment Axles and Military Parts

You may find it advantageous to purchase their hood and modify it to suit your needs. Working with fiberglass is fairly easy, but designing and executing the hard points where the top mounts and also where the stresses are high would be something outside my understanding. for myself I would rather take an existing product and add to it my non-critical additions.

Rick

A

A/C Cages

I just love Styrofoam! Light weight, easy to work with, insulation, I will need to chew on this one for a while, but I like it.

I have 3 stacks of it ...
4'x4'x2"
4'x4'x2 1/2"
4'x4'x3"
Free to anyone here in Florida who wants to pick it up from my shop.

This is great for everything from molds to insulation. If you are using it for 109 insulaiton, then you will have to shave it down to 1 1/2" thick.

Ive used it for molds before, Prankster is correct, its great and easy to work with. Hot knifes cut thru it like butter.

greg2560

got to see the pics... was looking to build also ... but reading soft top is much more quiet than a hard top...Got my soft top on now. Fuzz was going to trash it got it repaired lots of chicago screws looks nice... will post pics later

Flyingvan911

A fiberglass hardtop would be great. No rust and not much chance of it getting dented in. If you make one out of metal, by sure you jump on top of it to make it look authentic.

1redgmc

I've been considering building my own hardtop for quite some time, and there are a couple other threads on the topic.

I priced out all the materials for the Roscommon Equipment hardtop build and it will run (at today's steel prices) around $300 - excluding the rear window assembly - but similar window units can be found for under $50

Add another $150 - $175 for fabrication labor on the parts that require radius bends - since I am not equipped for bending sheetmetal

Now we're getting into the range of cost on a take-off hardtop...

Despite this, I would like to make some mods (such as dome light and overhead console) that would suit my personal preferences. I too am very interested to see how yours goes!

Prankster

odds & Ends

Stage 1

Fiberglass over Foam board looks to be my best bet.

Rounding the back corners by cutting a few pressure relief slots before the bending process should make the job easy enough.

The top could be could be made of 4" foam board glued flat on upper edges of the vertical foam parts. Being that it is so thick, it will be easy to round the top edges by cutting, and sanding them into shape. Foam board is so easy.

I am thinking of using "J" molding for the bottom edge. If any of have a better idea for the bottom edge please let me know. Bending those corners might present a problem.

Some butterfly twist latches might be a good way to secure the top onto the truck.

Large ATA Case Surface Mount Butterfly Twist Latch Zinc | eBay

I always use paint for my gaskets. I like using enamel on both edges: let it dry for a day, or two, and then assemble the parts. It works for me; even under high pressure!

My biggest concerns are foam board glue, and a metal trim for the bottom edge.

I am wondering if I will need some light weight but strong supports to protect the top from being crushed should somebody climb on top while I am not around.