• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to properly tow a deuce

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what all is involved with towing a deuce properly? I am needing to get a deuce towed and I am planning on using another deuce to tow it. Any tips on using a tow bar? chains needed? Drive shaft have to be pulled? Speed?

Thanks in advance.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The tow bar TM is in the resources section. That being said, I just pull the spline caps off the front and pull the rear axles. Nothing moving but the bearings that way and you don't have to climb under the truck. I usually will run a chain from the tow truck, wrapped around the tow bar, to the towed truck. Watch that you leave slack for turns! You can also run an air hose to the towed deuce's air pack. Search for the thread by Stretch for info on that. It is not a "have" to do thing, but if you have hills in your tow, its handy.

papercu

Never had an issue yet. In short, it's a matter of opinion.
Or luck! Wish I could say I never had a problem towing but I did get everything home, well maybe I did leave some tire scraps along a highway or two. Towing one deuce with another is slow going and if any hills very slow going. Wayne

scooter01922

I do believe, that a med towbar should be fully retracted. But that being said i'm going on what i have read here and not personal experience. I'll be figuring all this towing BS out myself very shortly as i too have trucks to recover.

gimpyrobb

I usually use the third or 4th holes. The longer the bar, the easier it is to tow. Also, it helps to have the tire pressure way up in the fronts of the towed deuce. No, you don't need to pull the caps and axles. You can use neutral trans and Tcase too.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is the purpose in extending the bar? I have towed alot and have never done that. I would think it would give a better chance of damaging the tow bar because the shorter it is the stronger it is.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have very limited experience in this field however I would caution you on one more thing. Sometime or another you will come across an errant deuce that just won't cooperate with your plans. Front tires will challenge you on every turn. For those I use a strap and tie off the steering wheel straight. It's a little tough on tires but it gets you down the road.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FT, only in Alabama. Also, make sure you use the correct pins so they don't fall out (another Alabama rule).:roll:

gimpyrobb

Yes the bar is strongest when fully retracted. It is also rated at 39,900lbs like that, Since the deuce is a little lighter, I extend it a bit. Its like a breaker bar, the longer it is, the easier it is to turn something. Also, I usually expect trouble having a truck track when not on pavement. Either have someone in it steering or tie up the wheel like Kenny said.

emr

Oh my God NEVER tie the steering wheel, they will follow , the best advise is over airing the fronts of the deuce being towed.the tow bar works best with it extended to the first bolt hole, donnot make sharp turns, always take a longer ride to get wider turns when needed. do not be in a hurry, but they the tires will follow just fine with regular air, in softer ground the towed tire will push some dirt/gravel and the tire will just snow plow and not turn, that is why the Military made the Wrecker set # 7s, they were for lifting the front end of towed trucks in off road conditons, in soft ground the way around this is like said above, have some one steer, BUT do not have some one sit in a moving truck going down the highway, it is dangerous and illegal, practice before going on a long trip, watch the truck with one eye in the mirror constantly, just like being in a convoy, I have practice I can back em up and know what to expect, take it out in a parking lot and slam on the brakes before U have to do it on the road, back up a bit and feel/see what it does, turn and go look at what the truck looks like , so U know it, then u will feel more confident doing it, no one knows it all, or can remeber it all on the road, but thinking it thru and actually touching all your conections is very very important too..all the best!!!

Barrman

The tow bar up real short (holes 1-3) seems to aggrivate the towed trucks front tires. They then want to turn the wrong direction on you. I have never had a tire turn the wrong way using holes 6-8. Holes 4 and 5 sometimes work great and sometimes don't. I use hole 7 when I can now all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks