• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to properly tow a deuce

KaiserM109

The tow bar TM is in the resources section. That being said, I just pull the spline caps off the front and pull the rear axles. Nothing moving but the bearings that way and you don't have to climb under the truck. … .
First, my experience is in towing 4x4s around the country side, but I have found that the only difference (beside different brake systems) is the size of the wrench you need. A deuce’s front hubs look like virtually any 4x4’s front hubs. A deuce’s rear bearings look basically like any other system with full floating axles, in other words a hub that extends through the wheel and has a second (outer) bearing.

With a rig that you don’t know the history of, it is important that you get at least a glimpse of the wheel bearings.

You can see part of the outer bearing by pulling either the cap or the axle. The inside bearing can only be viewed by pulling the whole hub. By pulling the axles on the rear and the caps on the front you can see what the lube on the outer bearing looks like. There should be lots of grease visible. It is a reasonable bet that the inner bearing is in the same condition. If they look well lubed, go for it.

Having pulled the axles and caps to view the bearings, you might as well stow them. If you pull the axles and caps, you don’t have to worry about the 2 dozen or so bearings in the differentials and transfer case or the half dozen U joints. However, you have to do something to keep the bearings protected. On the rear it is easy enough to duct tape plastic over the hole. If you have time to prepare in advance and have a deuce to look at, you can fab’ a cover from a piece of plywood. The front is a little tougher because the axle sticks out a little and will probably not turn with the hub. Fab’ing a cap out of 2 layers, one that is just a ring and fits the outside bolts and one that fits inside the bolts should work. Clean and dry is the important issue here.

Just last night we were swapping stories and a differential that seized in a towed vehicle at high speed came up. It was an ugly sight! One thing to remember is that some of these trucks survived Hurricane Katrina or were used in waters over the axles and can have rusty diff’s.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh my God NEVER tie the steering whee
Randy, I used to subscribe to this too until that errant deuce came along. I either changed the caster (which wasn't happening in the field) leave the truck or tie it straight and drrag it around corners. Did what I had to do. Once you get one you will understand why I posted what I did. I do have some experience here as others will attest.

Westech

CPL
I see EMR that you have not towed a Deuce or 5 ton very long. I have Thousands of miles and Im sure Kenny has me beat 100 fold. The tying the steering wheel trick works just fine and I have had to do it many times. Look at this vid and you will see what we are talking about.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5foodHp3g&feature=channel[/media]

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have to agree with kenny. We picked up one at Warner Robbins, went to tow and wouldn't go 5 feet before front wheels workd turn hard right. Went under the truck and the DRMO guys had picked up the front of the deuce with a forklift on the tie rod. We were able to semi straighten it with a bottle jack but still had to tie steering wheel to get it 125 miles home.