• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to roll out after auction

cybrockway

All, I've for a question on how you all drive your trucks home from auction. Going to be bidding, first timer, and see so many people driving them home. Do you have dealer plates, or have enough time to register and insure? Any advise is appreciated.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All, I've for a question on how you all drive your trucks home from auction. Going to be bidding, first timer, and see so many people driving them home. Do you have dealer plates, or have enough time to register and insure? Any advise is appreciated.
Have it shipped, it is a new truck to you, you have no idea what is wrong with it, you may get away cheap driving it home, one break down on the way home WILL turn the cheap INTO a major big hole in your wallet.

cybrockway

73m819, appreciate the quick reply and advice. I'm in PA,70 miles away from the auction so I might try the drive. Just wondering how everyone gets plates on them so quick?

JohnnyBM931A2

My plates took a month to come in after I sent in the form, etc. In many cases, you don't need plates to drive a newly purchased vehicle home, so long as you bring proof of purchase and insurance. However, check with your local DMV to see what the laws are for your state. Also verify whether or not you need to acquire a certain license before you even think of driving it any distance on public roads. One more thing to remember too.. The auction trucks don't come with a title, so that is one more thing that you have to plan on dealing with if you pick one up from there.

As was mentioned above, probably best just to ship it. Shipping shouldn't be too bad if it's only 70 miles. And if you get the truck for cheap, then even with shipping included you will be doing pretty good.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with your DMV, you may also be able to get a "Trip Plate" good to get you home while you wait for full plates.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hard to know what your trying to buy, but there is a lot of systems on the trucks coming out that can deadline it real easy. I'd check out having a wrecker service near you hauling it. If they know in advance whats coming down the pipe, it might not be astronomical.

WAZ44

We all come to this scenario... ship or drive...I will have to agree with a fellow S.S. member 73M819 on shipping I to had to make a tough choice on matter. I drove a M916A1 from Reno NV to Chicago IL without any mechanical problems. You may have an opinion that I just got lucky I beg to differ. READ READ THE TMs it is a wealth of information. However you choose GOOD LUCK.....if I was going to attempt this again, it would be an easy decision for me. It may be an experience you may never forget. Silly for me to express my feeling toward this WE all have a passion for MILITARY VEHICLES...the end!!

NovacaineFix

Shipping it is always better, as there could be a world of issues, especially brakes, wrong with it. If the systems check out to be in working order and you feel that the vehicle is safe enough to make the trip make sure you have a trip buddy, just in case it breaks down.

As for legality, check with the DMV and call your insurance agent/company. You "may" be covered and legal to drive a purchased vehicle for a certain period of time, with no registration and or plates. I say may, because every State is different and the laws may not allow for such things. Insurance would be the major thing, can't ride without that in any State that I am aware of.
I believe, here in California, you can drive a purchase vehicle home within the 1st 10 days barring that you have insurance coverage and a valid "Bill of Sale" of some sort. Now I haven't looked it up, so I could be off on that, please anyone correct me if I am incorrect.
If that is not correct, California has day permits and/or trip permits for such a case, PA may be the same.

As for the insurance part, depends on your coverage that you have already, not to turn this into an insurance thread, but check with your agent, they will be able to shed some light on if you have that type of coverage or be able to issue you a 1-day policy.

Good Luck on your Bidding.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Speed in which you get tags depends on your state process. GA I can walk in with my paperwork (as long as I have insurance) and walk out with a tag.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good points. If someone wants to tow it for you make sure they have the proper insurance for towing in your state. Also if you find you want to get a trip tag and insurance you will also have to service the truck. Here you will need to bring such things a oil. correct antifreeze, Trans fluid. Diff. fluid an maybe a pump. Two battery's plus tools. Enough fuel to get to a fuel station. Fuel filters. Don't know what series you are looking at but it might need more things on the list could be less but you will need to bring most of what I posted.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also be aware that some locations will not allow vehicles to be driven off base. It is the Base Commander that sets this rule not the auction company.

Always good to verify before pickup.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder, insurance discussions are not allowed per the forum rules. Read the Insurance stickies in the various forums.

azteclizard

When i won my m925 awhile back i had to caged the brakes then had a buddy tow it from the auction yard to the autocraft shop on post. There it sat until i went through it and worked out its bugs. I had to replace the batteries, replace some fuel line, cap a broken glad hand, and verify all the fluid levels and conditions. Also found a lose hub flange on the front axle i had to reseal.
After it was all good i simply fired it up and drove it home after work one day. I suppose it helped that i was in uniform and no one even thought twice about me driving it through the gate.

gunsgreg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are planning on driving it out, and are allowed too, I would strongly urge you to have a "backup" plan in place. Either a fellow MV friend with good knowledge and tools or a towing/recovery company.

In my case a local tractor trailer towing company has been the best option after I worked on the truck and made it worse...it turned out to be the best option. But unlike me there are guys here that actually study the TM and are mechanically inclined.

Good luck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had Deuces (A2s and A3s), M809s and M939s either towed or driven to our farm over the years. I usually go through them checking out the truck.

The last one was a very nice M939 and I checked it over and it was fine. Owner picked it up and got 40 miles before the alternator pulley broke. We went and towed them to safety with my M813.

You never know when you will have a failure but by reading the TMs and being familiar with trucks and mechanically inclined will help you but it won't help everything.

New owner or no experience with these trucks I recommend tow or trailer the truck home.

JDToumanian

If you are planning on driving it out, and are allowed too, I would strongly urge you to have a "backup" plan in place. Either a fellow MV friend with good knowledge and tools or a towing/recovery company.
I agree with this. I'm a fan of "driving it home," I enjoy the adventure, but you have to be prepared for the worst. I'm planning a 1,680 mile HEMTT recovery trip, but I'm bringing two friends and a chase vehicle loaded with tools and supplies, and I've got 5 weeks of paid vacation at work and a credit card with a $15k limit. I'm a good mechanic and familiar with the engine, and I'm going to service the truck and change all the fluids as soon as I drive off the base.

One of the friends coming with me is a 'bus nut', he took the opportunity last year to buy Crown Tandem Coach serial no. 1 but it had not been driven in many years and was 1,200 miles away in Oregon. I went with him on that adventure and we were similarly well prepared. In addition to the chase vehicle loaded with tools and supplies, we had 10 new Budd wheels and tires since the ones on the bus were flat and rotten. We spent almost a week and a ton of money getting the bus in safe running condition, but the tired old pancake Cummins 220 seized outside Sacramento and we ended up having it towed the rest of the way. I hope my recovery ends on a happier note than that!

Regards,
Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks