• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HRS break down

Nonotagain

I was out today driving around tying up some loose ends and happened upon a broken down HRS wrecker. He was on the opposite side of the road, so I swung around and stopped to see if soldier "A" needed assistance.

Soldier "A" asked if I was sent by the local Cat dealer, which I wasn't. I offered up my cell phone if he was out of communication, but he had a Blackberry and received a call while we were talking.

He was pulling a grade when the turbo started to spool up fast, then he heard a bang, a loud whistle, then a loss of power.

I suspect that the turbo waste gate malfunctioned. The all electronic diesels require diagnostic equipment that the average shade tree mechanic doesn't posses.

The wrecker was powered by the CAT C15 engine making 600hp and needs all it can get since the Heavy Recovery System tips the scales at over 100,000 lbs.

I offered up some bottled water and told him I'd check in later if he was still there. A couple of hours later he was gone, so Alban CAT either got him running or my buddy's tow company just made some serious cash.

Attachments

Nonotagain

Man that is a big recovery vehicle.

Bob,

When I first saw the truck I thought it was a PLS wrecker. After talking with soldier "A" and looking the truck over I noticed the differences.

My buddy owns the largest recovery vehicle in Maryland, and it pales in size to this truck.

I guess Uncle Sam doesn't need over weight permits to operate on the roads.

Here's the quick video I shot while pulling up on the break down.

Attachments

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No other trucks were with him? Maybe it will show up on GL and I can get it for 1/16th of what the government paid for it!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
any way to change it from"apple quick time" for those that do not use apple stuff, this is one of the bad things about using phones to interact with a WEB based SITE

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any way to change it from"apple quick time" for those that do not use apple stuff, this is one of the bad things about using phones to interact with a WEB based SITE

clicking on the picture didnt work for me either, but it did work when i clicked on the file name. did you try that?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
clicking on the picture didnt work for me either, but it did work when i clicked on the file name. did you try that?
All I got at the link was a DOWNLOAD quick time, which I have NO intention doing, the more stuff like this downloaded, the more chance of getting something nasty, this is a web site, designed for the web, not a smart phone site,

natem

Clic on the link, Yellow type.

Nate

Edit:I gota learn to type faster. If you point and click on The link line (yellow type) it will download to windows media player.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

Ron: right-click on the yellow text of the filename (NOT THE PICTURE), and select "Save as..." or "Save to file..." and save the video to your computer. You can then navigate to the file on your computer and play it with the media player of your choice. Both videos he posted should play with Windows Media Player, QuickTime, VLC, and other generic video players.

Also, Quicktime is not a mobile application; it is a PC application. Smartphones have their own built-in players to handle the multimedia files that Quicktime is designed to handle on PCs.

EDIT: I'll drop a line on the "Suggestions" forum and ask patracy to put this issue on his to-do-list.

sandcobra164

That's a pretty cool truck. I've been to Oshkosh to train on the LVSR MKR 16 Wrecker. It's about a 70,000 pound truck and lift towed another 70,000 pound truck behind it as part of that training. The MKR 16 is the replacement for the MK48/16 wrecker currently used for lift tow of heavy assets. The Cat C15 is a beast and allowed me to complete my highest gross load on highway of about 140,000 pounds with wheeled vehicles with no complaints. It's got a display screen that you can customize to show different operating parameters. I chose the one showing temps, engine rpm and boost. I maxed out at 59 PSI of boost pulling the other wrecker behind me. My heaviest combined load will likely remain towing M1A1's behind an M1A1, roughly 240,000 pounds combined weight!!! Thanks for the post, It's basically an MKR 16 LVSR with a long boom on it in place of the short boom. Pretty neat truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks