• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Radio

kapkanimd

Affirmative, working. I will try murphy's, I guess I am no sure what to ask for. It looks like a VIC-3 will be part of that, but it is all the details I am missing. Like which shelving to get, which cables (how many and how long), etc...

Thank you so far for the help

bcheval

Did anyone figure out how to get the radio working? I have been setting my system up for awhile with no luck. Can't get my RT1523 to power up. I believe it's an A version and yes the comsec card is gon as well as the feq swap card. I thought it would at least power up and error out. Anyone have any ideas?

Crapgame

Did anyone figure out how to get the radio working? I have been setting my system up for awhile with no luck. Can't get my RT1523 to power up. I believe it's an A version and yes the comsec card is gon as well as the feq swap card. I thought it would at least power up and error out. Anyone have any ideas?
I was told the later COMSEC RT-1439 will work without the ComSec card installed but the RT-1523s will not run without a ComSec.

Try finding a ComSec card for your radio? As long as you don't have the current Fill there shouldn't be a violation. Or find the schematic to see if you can find which pins to jump to make the radio think the ComSec card is in place?

An untested RT1523C/C/U on ebay, only $2999.99! Nuts for a boat anchor.

I think the cheapest and easiest way to put a contemporary radio in a HMMWV is the TRI PRC-117, no issues with grey area laws, set up a BN S-3 (Air) HMMWV, but there would still be a PRC-119 for talking to ground elements.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There isn’t a COMSEC card in a RT-1439, they required a separate COMSEC device such as a KY-57. 1439s are called “non-ICOM” SINCGARS, meaning they don’t have integrated COMSEC.

COMSEC cards are controlled. The US military does not release them to the public. There are some in private hands, but I wouldn’t touch one.

bcheval

I totaly agree. I would perfer not to have to answer questions as to why and how I ended up with a comsec card. I have searched for someone that could build a jumper card for me with no luck. So as of now, my 1523A makes on **** of a book end. I think I am going to look into the PRC-117 option recommended by the COL any see how that works. My plan is to have the HMMWV finished for a trip over to Moab and really want to have a HAM radio of some type that will fit in the shelf before I leave. I am open to any and all ideas
E

Crapgame

IC7200 Black, OD and Fallujah Camo.jpgIf all you want is a Ham-band radio, look for ICOM IC-7200, originally from the factory in black (refurb black $800+), a third party did a partial disassembly and refinished the housings in OD, Desert, Digital and Multicam Camo, with plastic bolt on somewhat military looking handles on the baseplate ($65 add on), use a surplus RMT-2 mount with shock resilient base, then power the radio with a 24>12v step down converter, wire directly to one battery or get the 200amp 14/28v dual voltage generator for your rig. cheaper than a boat anchor SINCGARS, legal as long as you get your FCC Tech license, and functional among a wider Freq range in the hinterlands of Moab or during a natural disaster

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know of a source for radio equipment other than e-crap? In a perfect would I would like to buy a kit with all wiring and radio setup without having to pat everything together. I already have a AS-3900A/VRC antenna (just one, I need the second). If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
I got a lot of my VRC-12 setup here: https://recodefense.com/vrc-12-series-radios-1 I don't think you're going to find one place with everything however.

Attachments

Crapgame

If you have the AN/VRC- 89, 91, 92, heck I think they go up to at least VRC-113 now, etc configuration manual to look up the individual component nomenclatures or part Numbers, most of the stuff you can get from Murphyjunk.net American-milspec.com or Fairradio.com

bcheval

In a moment of weakness, I bought a Harris Falcon III RF-7800T-HH011 ISR for $1,900 (Used) without thinking if I would have the ability to program or even use the thing. Did I mess up here??? Sure could use some advice. On a side note, I did see that Murphy is selling the vehicle mount for the handset. The unit does power up.

bcheval

Word to the wise, I was able to get my money back on the Falcon III but the unit is for Video only via radio signal from drones. I am moving forward with trying to find PRC-117 or something that will fit in a Sincgars mount.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks