• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Speed

tage

No. Some trucks are faster then others in the motor pool. Ip issues, injectors, dead turbo, ect.
I'm confused by his post. 3lLxx? That's the wrong type of transmission... He's not stating that he's flooring it and it's not just moving.
Then my guess is that it's a truck, and drive it like it's just a truck.

Have to give us more then. My dad's humvees are fast. Mine is slow

Last edited:

hummer4x4guy

Have you guys checked the differentials to see if those are the same? Just because these are trucks doesn't mean he shouldn't ask or wonder why similar trucks are acting so differently. It is a good thing to figure out if there is an issue now vs later.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running fuel system treatment with a good injector cleaner made a noticeable difference in my Humvee. But I have a friend with the same engine and his does have quicker pick up. Sometimes it is down to chance.
Bulldogger

Jericho

I am not a HV fan, used them a lot,they ran poorly and frankly the noise from the engine just used to annoy me, BUT , that said , Start with the basics, AIr in, ignition (compressive force to ignite the fuel charge, Fuel supply(Filters , Injectors) Exhaust. (restrictions , turbo , non turbo issues)parasitic loads,(fan, ect ) CONTROL.IP where is it set, where can it be set , And the good one , TLA, Throttle lever angle, is it even getting full throttle. SUCK BLOW AND GO, works for jet engines works for diesels ! Must confess the more I read in these threads, more I look at aquiring one, May be I like them more when I don't have to turn it in at the end of the day

diesel dave

Could be the injection pump. When I got mine,it was extremely slow to pick up rpms/ speed. Even stopped in neutral. Had the injection pump rebuilt,and wow,what a difference! I've had a few cucv's in the past,and none of them ran like this hmmwv does now. I didn't tell the rebuilder to turn the pump up. Maybe they did. I don't know,don't care.

jeffy777

I am not a HV fan, used them a lot,they ran poorly and frankly the noise from the engine just used to annoy me, BUT , that said , Start with the basics, AIr in, ignition (compressive force to ignite the fuel charge, Fuel supply(Filters , Injectors) Exhaust. (restrictions , turbo , non turbo issues)parasitic loads,(fan, ect ) CONTROL.IP where is it set, where can it be set , And the good one , TLA, Throttle lever angle, is it even getting full throttle. SUCK BLOW AND GO, works for jet engines works for diesels ! Must confess the more I read in these threads, more I look at aquiring one, May be I like them more when I don't have to turn it in at the end of the day
I am a fan of the HMMWV. I enjoyed the design for a long time. Sure it could have been built better, closer tolerances, better fit and finish.... but it is a military vehicle. It was designed to take a beating and give as good as it gets. It is a great value to me after studying the design. It is designed to be inexpensive and highly versatile. We are moving to JLTV with a unit cost of 10 times the cost. Depending on the war scenario while it is a great machine, it is not a HMMWV. A HMMWV is a short bed four door truck, a panel truck, a radio truck, a pickup truck, a troop carrier, an ambulance, a four door hatchback... and more. It doesn't get bad gas mileage.

HMMWV's have been taken for granted and abused in the press because they were not designed for asymmetrical warfare, which was caused by trying to deliver peace to people who do not want peace. The JLTV will do better with IED's but at a very high cost. I feel that while the HMMWV had its issues, the war in Iraq would have been much different without it. It carried its load.

jeffy777

So here is a picture of them.
TheGroupInfoSS.jpg

So far the opinion is:
1. IP needs tweaking or cleaning.
2. Diff in M998A1 is doing a better job??
3. It is a truck, quit complaining and leave us alone.
4. I don't know trucks are different ...

Thank you for all your advise. After we get them fully through maintenance, we will work on cleaning and tweaking until a better idea comes up or that fails.

Bravojmc

So here is a picture of them.
View attachment 691558

So far the opinion is:
1. IP needs tweaking or cleaning.
2. Diff in M998A1 is doing a better job??
3. It is a truck, quit complaining and leave us alone.
4. I don't know trucks are different ...

Thank you for all your advise. After we get them fully through maintenance, we will work on cleaning and tweaking until a better idea comes up or that fails.
My bet is still on the IP. Check the blow by in the truck. Wondering if it's lost some compression...
As for the some of the responses... I don't understand why people are rude with some response...
This is a MV forum and this is what it's all about! Helping people out, sharing info, and enjoying
your MV's hobby. Good luck and let us know if you find something.

nspctr1

driver's side, the two wire connector. Plug it in then unplug it. If your fan clutch isn't stuck you will see it move about 1/4".
So, by disconnecting these wires, I should see the fan move about a quarter inch? Is that rotational? If it doesn't move, what should I check first?

Bravojmc

So, by disconnecting these wires, I should see the fan move about a quarter inch? Is that rotational? If it doesn't move, what should I check first?
The fan will move front to back. If it doesn't then your fan clutch pack is prob seized up. Mine had this problem and I fixed this with my air compressor and some air.

Jericho

Please don't assume my response was anything else but sincere. I hold no disparaging goals. Simply try to keep it to the point and helpful. Wish you the best of luck !

Bravojmc

Please explain. Where did you apply air? did you have to remove fan?
disconnect the hose coming from the fan clutch at the Caddy valve. Then apply air to it with your air compressor and you should see the fan move forward . If you don't then you can apply it over and over I had to apply it about 25 times before my fan clutches freed up.

papakb

Have you bothered to take a look at the drive line E Brake? If it's overtightened it's a huge drag on the power train. On a level surface back off the brake adjuster on your E Brake and see if that makes a difference.

Kurt

jeffy777

Have you bothered to take a look at the drive line E Brake? If it's overtightened it's a huge drag on the power train. On a level surface back off the brake adjuster on your E Brake and see if that makes a difference.
Kurt
You know that has been mentioned and I overlooked it on the list. It is at the bottom of my maintenance list and I could only do 2 of 3 pages. Good idea!

Thanks!

jeffy777

Making sure the ebrake isnt on is at the bottom of the list...
Action, you on me like white on rice. I know the EBrake is releasing. But it may be hanging on a little or need adjusting that is toward or near the bottom of the list. My Ebrake adjustment is not high priority, I know they work and hold and I know they release(It was one of the first things tested, I rolled on a flat bed tow truck set the ebrake and then got out and hooked up to the winch and tightened it down. Then when I got home I release the Ebrake to roll it down. Pretty good test I think.) I normally like to look at the action of the Ebrake and make further adjustments after some of the other things are taken care of.

The idea he had(I was reading between the lines) was accumulated power drain. The E-brake hanging and other things could accumulate to make it sluggish.

Just like the fan. I am pretty sure the fan is not engaged both visibly and auditory wise. I did not care to disconnect the cable. Because I did not care as much as my son about the acceleration at this time. I want to check through stuff and lube it and make it safe. My son started this thread because I said I don't know why this thing(M998A1) is so nimble.

I just got these units. Everything will be looked through. And yet still things will break or fail. I have had little trouble with my first HMMWV with my slow process. I would like the same for the other two. But one of those are my son's he bought it, this thread was started by him.

If you come up to Virginia to hang with us we would enjoy your company and expertise. :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you staying in gear long enough or is it short shifting up to 3rd and slowly getting up to speed? I ended up having to adjust my TV cable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks