• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvees in the winter

Action

I'm also guilty of closing the vent in the winter. My theory was that the freezing cold air being rammed in from the outside while driving was bringing the heater temp down, and the thing needs all the help it can get.
It should be closed in the winter. There is a bent wire in the rubber boot that should keep it from sealing against the body.
I was wondering how many folks have that open, not knowing about it.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to recap my thread. This winter has been mild but heat is great in the truck, yes i also closed the vent. Only think is the floor heat kinda sucks but with insulted socked havent had an issue.

Action

The driver foot vent is under the dash. It is a black flexible hose attached to the steering column. sometimes they get torn which greatly reduces the flow of air to the feet.
Also make sure the valve in the engine compartment is fully open. It is by the radiator overflow tank. I have seen lots of those freeze up. May need pliers to open it if the pull knob doesnt work.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driver foot vent is under the dash. It is a black flexible hose attached to the steering column. sometimes they get torn which greatly reduces the flow of air to the feet.
I saw the hose when I changed out my s3 a while back. Never thought to check to see if it's torn. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Action

Above the doghouse is a small vent that you can slide open and closed. Behind that is a fitting that the hose under the dash connects to. There is no hose behind the vent, but there is one on the passenger side (a2) that connects to the diverter box. Closing that small vent should force more air to your feet, but then you have nothing blowing at your right arm.

Last edited:

2w091

We got ours from Ft. Stewart.
Those wacky 3rd ID MP's bent the **** out of the driver and passenger drain holes, I'm assuming to let water out, they also kicked in the heater box. Not exactly winter friendly, they also poked several holes on the drivers rear floor under the seat, next to the OD box.
A lot duct tape, and a rebuild of the heater box does the trick to keep the freezing breeze to a minimum.
For you rebuilt purists, this vehicle is still operational (sorta), 8)

Red6

Are you guys closing the fresh air intake? If not, the heater just has to work overtime to heat the air. Closing this vent is like the recirculation button in the car.
Glad im reading all these older posts, I was researching my heat situation and sure enough...my fresh air was open. Closed it up and it warmed right up inside. Much more tolerable.

HUMMER H1

What’s the story with those windows? I’d love to see pics of the radiator/fan setup as well!
I bought those half doors from plan B, then I welded a frame around it that bolts to half doors to make it removable,
Around the frame there is a heavy duty Velcro,
The plastic material is marine grade window material that has Velcro as well,

as far as the heater system, I kinda of copied H1 style center console that holds all the rear passenger fan and heater core
I extended the Humvee original heater core hoses to come to the center part, then I built a frame in the middle that holds the integra radiator,
I used reduction hose because radiator opening is bigger than Humvee heater core hoses.

radiator stays 2 inches above the floor flat position inside the frame that I built, blower fan is also from the integra, it doesn’t have pressure but has more CFM,

when the motor is warm, naturally that radiator also gets the same hot coolant, no valve In between,
I turn on the blower fan and bingo heat comes in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks