• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huntsville City Limits weight restrictions

joeypushjr1

i feel ya man.. where i live the ordance here states that anything over 10000lbs is concidered commerical. and in a residuntal area i can not park it.. so i park mine at the city park.. hehe and ive allready talked with the local leos and park officals and they dont have a problem with it being there its only a block and a half up the street.. 11ECO how do you have yours plated i forgot to ask you when you come out here to give me a hand yanking the deuce out of the dirt.. lol .. joe

dcwilkie

Don't have any plates on them. I was waiting on the SF97s.
The first M35A2 I had was plated as a normal private truck. I think I got lucky and confused them because it was made by Jeep Corp. Omega123 in New Market, AL had to get commercial plates for his. I figured I was headed the same way with this bunch.
Gonna get me an M1009.

fireball

I wonder what would happen if BRAC decided to move Huntsville because of all the service people who have private collections couldn't have them there. Something called a hostile community. If you didn't mind the trouble, you could break their balls by parking the truck at the local 7/11 and Walmarts or any commercial lot. I came from a community that forebade the parking of all commercial vechiles overnight. That ordinance kept one zonning officier busy all the time chasing pickup trucks. Hey, zonning guys need to eat steak and lobster too

dcwilkie

I might talk to the guy at Bridges Used tires on the corner to see if I could park them there. I hadn't really thought about that! :razz:
The only thing I would be afraid of is vandalism.

ABN173

One Deuce left (M35A2 W/W).
Can I feel a little sad about this?
Of course, But I'm sure you will overcome, perhaps it means M37's, Jeeps, and CUCV's are in your future? Maybe you need to move outside the city limit? I think it is horrible you had to sell them off like that. Who knows maybe the local VFW will let you park your M35A2 in their lot?

Best of luck,
Dale

omega231

*sigh*

its hard living in a city where its nothing but bigh brow engineers who think they are better than you... sorry to here your having trouble there dave :(

btw do you still have that trailer stuff? sorry its taken me so long to get around to asking for it... ive been a bit mixed up trying to work out the deuce sales and moving the 820s around.

dcwilkie

*sigh*

its hard living in a city where its nothing but bigh brow engineers who think they are better than you... sorry to here your having trouble there dave :(

btw do you still have that trailer stuff? sorry its taken me so long to get around to asking for it... ive been a bit mixed up trying to work out the deuce sales and moving the 820s around.
TC
All the trailers are long-gone including the accessories.
I have 2 more on the way, but have little idea about what to do with them anymore. Maybe default on the auction win?

NEIOWA

Confirmed that several neighbors complained. They were scared I was starting a militia or something. Wish I could find out who they were. I'd like to talk to them. ;-)
I'd call BS on that. More likely just a bunch of jerks. The limited number of such southern cities I've been in (such as Columbus GA) significantly despised the Army. No hesitation in grabbing the green $ though.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightCorporal

I sure hope I don't sound like Big Bro's shill, although someone may take this
that way, but I have been to several communities which prohibit you parking
your car in your driveway, let alone a classic MV. In your garage with
everything. That is one reason why you see those big, old towering garages
to park RVs in. Of course the weather is another reason for that.
It can be a pain, to live in a city,where other people can dictate what you do,
but there is always the rural, which I much prefer. As the gentleman from
Louisiana pointed out, some places make you feel more welcome.
-James

ABN173

I'd call BS on that. More likely just a bunch of antimilitary libs. The limited number of such southern cities G've been in (such as Columbus GA) significantly dispised the Army. No hesitation in grabbing the green $ though.
I lived in Columbus for 5 years from 04-08, I had the the oppisate impression, heck they even have a express lane at the tag office for the military. I never had any problem with Columbus, GA, in fact I still own property there. I have also spoken with Steel Soldiers member Papabear and he has had no issues with Columbus LEO's and he has a whole fleet of MV's. I remember many unit dinner events that always had representitives from the City. Just wondering why you feel that way?

-Dale

dcwilkie

I talked to the head honcho in the Zoning office today. He said I could build an outbuilding like the house RVs in and keep one truck in it. If I could afford it, I would!
He gave me a 1 week extension so it needs to be gone by Saturday.
I never received a written notice on this, but am a hesitant about pushing that point. As I understand it, once you get the written notice, you have 1 week to correct the "problem". :roll:
The supervisor told me they've been busy all over Huntsville serving notices to MV owners. Nothing better to do I guess.:deadhorse:

omega231

sounds like its time to move to the county man. wht are you gonna do with the deuce? i hope you get to keep it... even if its not at the house.

dcwilkie

I'm driving it over to the Super Safe Storage on Jordan Ln about 1 mi. from my house today to see if it will fit into an outside storage spot. After this weekend, I'm driving it out to Somerville to a friend's place to sell it plus two more trailers.
I'm going to keep an eye out for a decent M880 Dodge 4WD. I hope it will be sufficiently Military to bug the unhappy neighbor. I also plan to put a sign in the yard that says "Happy Now?".:p

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why is there always that one neighbor who is "threatened" by everything? These are the folks that will turn you into Code Enforcement for changing a light switch.

The truck is not parked in front of their house...right?...What ever happened to "mind your own business".

Quick :rant::I have neighbor who likes to rent rooms to college students from a large local university (zoning laws?) and they park their cars in front of everyone else's homes. Heaven forbid we say something about it. I did once and was labeled as "Brian, the Big Bad Cop."

I plan on parking my M818 at a local RV storage lot ($160/month) for the long term, but I can't wait to see the reaction when I have at home. The truck is going to be plated Historical Vehicle and Commercial enforcement has already told me that will exempt it from weight restrictions and restriction to truck routes. The LEO said drive your kid to school with it if you want. BUT, there is a "large " vehicle ordinance which limits me to 48 hrs (72 hrs with express permission from PD) in the neighbor hood then 48 hrs out.

However, to be a nice neighbor. I am going to create a flyer and hand out to the neighbors with a picture of the truck, my intended use of it and what the laws provide. I am also going to pledge that it will not be parked in front of anyone else's home. I am sure with all said some one will still b!t [FONT=&quot]©h. [/FONT]Did someone say...Home of the Free?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks