• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huntsville City Limits weight restrictions

dcwilkie

Problem:
The Zoning office says I can't even work on the truck on private property even for an hour or two. That means if I want to do PM, I have to lug my tools over to the storage place to work. Mr McCutcheon said it's illegal to work on ANY vehicle in a residential zone. That means when I fixed the Chrysler's coolant bleeder valve I was doing so illegally.
What a screwed-up city...:evil:

bkwudzhom

Then how in the hell do you change a flat tire? Do you have to have it towed out of the "residential" section?

jrou111

Like I said, move to Limestone County. :-D

Or get a good lawyer. :cry:
And did you ask for the reference for that so called ordinance about working on cars?

dcwilkie

Here's what I found

Like I said, move to Limestone County. :-D

Or get a good lawyer. :cry:
And did you ask for the reference for that so called ordinance about working on cars?
I think he was wrong. Here's what I found in the Zoning Laws for Huntsville:

73.21. Vehicle repair in residential districts or on residential lots.
(1) Vehicle repair for purposes of this section 73.21 shall mean and include the repair and/or body work of any motorized or non-motorized vehicle.

(2) Vehicle repair performed in a residential district or on a residential lot shall be allowed subject to each of the following conditions:

(a) Vehicle repair shall be incidental to a primary permitted residential use and shall be on the same lot as the primary residential structure;

(b) Vehicle repair, including without limitation vehicles in the process of or awaiting repair, shall be performed on vehicles which are registered in the name of or titled to a member of the household of the primary residential structure, and proof of title may be requested by any official charged with the enforcement of this ordinance;

(c) Vehicle repairs shall not be performed after 10:00 p.m. and before 7:00 a.m.

(3) Nothing herein shall be construed to relieve any person or entity from complying with any other applicable provision of this zoning ordinance, or any other laws of this city including without limitation ordinances regulating inoperable vehicles.

(Ord. No. 05-139, § 1, 4-14-2005)

omega231

the city is run by a bunch o snobs who cater to the every whim of the engineering machine here. granted without all the engineering stuff here this would be a ghost town compared to wht it is now, but i doesnt make it less annoying.

he doesnt have to move out of madison county, just out of huntsville city limits.

you should move to the meridianville area dave. then you could have your trucks and an airport for your plane. best of both worlds :)

he was dead wrong... from wht that says, you can work on the deuce as long as its someone who lives in that house and you work on it within the hours specified.

Last edited:

rmgill

Ack. I just saw this thread. Too bad you didn't have an out in the law like I did. It looks like it's more constraining on the citizens. I would however complain to your city council. Get all the local MV owners together and go and have a sit down. They might adjust the ordinances. You don't know until you try.

123mack

I wonder if the present city gov knows about the 2012 MVPA convention coming to Huntsville? Granted it's a few years off, but that might be something to let a friendly city councilman know. Now is the time for MV owners to get together and plot a course of action.

dcwilkie

Huh?

I wonder if the present city gov knows about the 2012 MVPA convention coming to Huntsville? Granted it's a few years off, but that might be something to let a friendly city councilman know. Now is the time for MV owners to get together and plot a course of action.

Heck ...I don't know anything about a MV Convention coming to HSV. Is there a link to info?

123mack

It's being hosted by our club here in Alabama the, Dixie Division. As far as I know the Von Braun Center has been secured as the venue. It will probably be discussed more in detail at our fall rally at Tannehill state park in November.

ddmvpa.org

omega231

I would love to see the looks on the faces of all those who whine and complain about these things when it comes here:-D

Dozens of green iron monsters right in the heart of down town. Id love to see the police or the zoning board try to tow them all.

cyberspace_7

I also plan to put a sign in the yard that says "Happy Now?".
Then they would probably come around bugging you about another ordinance that says something about "commercial signs" in a residential zone!!:evil: They never seem to stop. I'm looking DEEP into my city ordinances before I get my deuce. And if it's legal, I'll be the one educated if a nice LEO comes around:!: We'll see....Good luck!!!!!1

dcwilkie

And so the saga closes.
I parked "The Incredible Hulk" at Super Safe Storage on Jordan Ln. today. $37.00/ mo. in an outside space. I think I'll bring it to the house tomorrow to pull part of the PM and take it back later in the afternoon.
Got him tagged and insured, so that should hold the City of Huntsville for a while. :roll:
I want to take the tool crib apart off the bed and restore it back to a standard cargo bed. Found some interesting markings on it:
A flaming skull with a pitchfork and a lightning bolt behind it, and what appears to be a head-on view of a tank with lines radiating out from it. Anyone recognize these? I'll get some pictures tomorrow.
I sure do appreciate all the good will and advice y'all provided. One way or another I intend to stay in Military Vehicle Preservation.
Currahee!

DDave

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And so the saga closes.
I parked "The Incredible Hulk" at Super Safe Storage on Jordan Ln. today. $37.00/ mo. in an outside space.

DDave
What a bargain!! The cheapest I have found is $160/month in West Los Angeles and nothing enclosed. I wouldn't have this problem if my drive way was a couple feet wider. My city does not bother you if the vehicle is parked in your driveway.

A-line

City Of Huntsville

There is a Duece on Hwy. 72 just over Chapman mountain at Cooks Truck Repair which I think is in the City. The inspection that the State of Alabama requires to tag and title a vechile is where we had a problem with the City. I down loaded the inspection sheet off the States" web site and I had a Al. Trooper do the inspection and had it notarized and the City Of Huntsville took all of them accept one. I had to drive it to the court House.

omega231

There is a Duece on Hwy. 72 just over Chapman mountain at Cooks Truck Repair which I think is in the City. The inspection that the State of Alabama requires to tag and title a vechile is where we had a problem with the City. I down loaded the inspection sheet off the States" web site and I had a Al. Trooper do the inspection and had it notarized and the City Of Huntsville took all of them accept one. I had to drive it to the court House.
i sometimes think that the only reason Huntsville City even knows there is anything on that side of the hill is because alot of the tax money is moving that way. i only had trouble tagging the truck with the GL florida title. using the bill of sale, or even the paid in full invoice worked out just fine. i have two tags, both are commercial plates.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

guys I am a leo in ms, I had to pass through al a while back with my m35 on my way to jacksonville fl so I called dot in al and fl to see if I needed any permits to bring my trailer through.I was told by both states that my truck was NOT a commercial vehicle. So I would call my al dot office and see what they think it is and look up registration laws for the state if the state doesn't make u go commercial take that to your tax collector and ask them to follow state law, it may or may not work. I had to read the ms state law to my tax collector to get my first tag.

dcwilkie

I also had to tag the Deuce as a commercial vehicle because of the weight. No problem though, it was made 1972 and didn't need the title to get the tag (got the title anyway).

If there are other Huntsvillians that want to meet with Mr McCutcheon to see if we can overcome this obstacle, please contact me at cruisair@hotmail.com or call me at 256-508-1558 and leave a message if I don't pick up the first time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks