• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Conversion of PTO Winch

TehTDK

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid but how does this setup link up?. A shaft from your transmission drives a hydraulic motor, which in turn pumps hydraulic fluid which turns the winch. Or is that entirely misunderstood?

Secondly, wouldn't it be possible to "control" both a front and rear mounted winch with the same control lever and a toggle switch?. Ie a toggle switch with Front - Off - Rear, in off its off, and toggled to either front or rear the control lever controls either winch. Naturally sitting in the cab and controlling a rear-facing winch is going to be very tricky but. But that said I actually likes your setup and seems a lot less "complicated" from an operator standpoint.

When/If i get and can afford a deuce I would like to upgrade to an hydraulic winch on it as well, but most likely would go for outside controls so that I don't need to be in the cab to control it, and thus has better visuals on what it is that I am winching. Even if that means that the winch will be limited on power, unless I find out some way to "control" the throttle input of the engine from the outside at the same time.

But what did you have in mind for testing its maximum capacities?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry if I sound a bit stupid but how does this setup link up?. A shaft from your transmission drives a hydraulic motor, which in turn pumps hydraulic fluid which turns the winch. Or is that entirely misunderstood?

Secondly, wouldn't it be possible to "control" both a front and rear mounted winch with the same control lever and a toggle switch?. Ie a toggle switch with Front - Off - Rear, in off its off, and toggled to either front or rear the control lever controls either winch. Naturally sitting in the cab and controlling a rear-facing winch is going to be very tricky but. But that said I actually likes your setup and seems a lot less "complicated" from an operator standpoint.

When/If i get and can afford a deuce I would like to upgrade to an hydraulic winch on it as well, but most likely would go for outside controls so that I don't need to be in the cab to control it, and thus has better visuals on what it is that I am winching. Even if that means that the winch will be limited on power, unless I find out some way to "control" the throttle input of the engine from the outside at the same time.

But what did you have in mind for testing its maximum capacities?
A pump pumps fluid. A motor takes the pressurized fluid from the pump and drives the winch.

You could setup toggle switches front and rear but you have to use electric solenoid valves (make sure you get 24v ones).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a chance to get a a3 winch with all parts and was wandering how hard it would be to add it
Just keep in mind that a A3 winch setup won't work with the stock A2 radiator, with the stock mounts (not enough room for the motor underneath the radiator). I guess it would be possible to modify the winch mounts so the winch sits lower to allow for radiator clearance. Another option would be to mount the winch further forward so the motor is in front of the radiator but the stock mounts stick the bumper out pretty far so I doubt you'd want to go that route.

When you say "all the parts" are you including the hyd pump? If you get the A3 pump you're going to have to figure out how to mount it to the multifuel. Another option would be to get a PTO to drive a commercial pump. It would be possible to use a multifuel power steering pump (as found on 5-ton multifuels) but the winch would be painfully slow (not enough GPM).

Last edited:

mudguppy

...You could setup toggle switches front and rear but you have to use electric solenoid valves (make sure you get 24v ones).
you can do it without solenoids - you could use a hydraulic selector valve; primary A and B ports in, two different A and B ports selected manually. i had considered this route as a potential upgrade. I could put this selector valve after the spool valve and use it to select which winch (F or R) to control. But at the end of the day, there is more plumbing involved and I would rather utilize a two-spool control valve.

but i do agree that the easiest way to do this would be to utilize electric solenoids on a manifold.

mudguppy

Just keep in mind that a A3 winch setup won't work with the stock A2 radiator, with the stock mounts (not enough room for the motor underneath the radiator). I guess it would be possible to modify the winch mounts so the winch sits lower to allow for radiator clearance. Another option would be to mount the winch further forward so the motor is in front of the radiator but the stock mounts stick the bumper out pretty far so I doubt you'd want to go that route.

you can also consider flipping the bumper extensions over and mount the winch on the bottom of the frame - this get the hyd motor well away from the radiator and should also put it below the engine mount cross member. you should still be able to orient the winch upright, however, you'd need to modify the engagement lever and make an extension (through the frame) for the travel lock pin.

mudguppy

I am wanting to do this conversion i was wondering what the specs are on the hydraulic motor like the rpm psi and gpm thanks jgreen
For design specs of 30 fpm line speed and 10,000 lbs line pull full drum:
516 rpm at motor
247 ft-lb at input shaft (motor output)
24 Gpm
2011 psi (used a 2000 psi relief cartridge in valve)

This considering a motor (Parker 113A-106-AS-0) with 10.6 cu in/rev displacement fed by pump (Muncie PKS15-02BPBB) 3.45 cu in/rev. My PTO is 1.01:1, therefore, 30 fpm with this setup is 800 rpm (engine idle) at top layer.

mebedave

Hello new here, found you while researching how to convert pto to hydraulic winch. I have a few questions for you guys
I’m looking at a 7412382-1 medium duty winch like this one at a Gov auction (I could not post the link SS did not like that I guess because it was a auction, but I gave you the part number hopefully that's enough)
My question is; this winch is listed all over the internet as a 20,000
lbs unit, but I’ve found where they say it’s only a 10,000 lbs….which is it? See page 1-8 of this manual, it shows it as a 9,500 lbs http://www.jatonkam35s.com/M809series/TM9-3830-501.pdf now I’m even more confused ??? I need a 20,000 lbs winch.
I may have more questions once I clear up the winch capacity

Thanks!!

T

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks