• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hydraulic power steering kit

Heath_h49008

m16ty

That's just a grown-up version of the system ford used in the 1960's on passenger cars. Interesting....

jesusgatos

Sweet Manufacturing is two blocks from where I'm sitting. I never even considered stopping by to bother Randy and ask his opinion.

What I was actually talking about was the same style orbital used in full hydro setups tuned to match the steering rate and linked to a normal pump and ram.

Honestly, Gringletaube's set up is the best I have found from a cost and reliability standpoint... I just would like more pump options and a better source for pitman arms than cutting and welding them. I'm not worried myself... I have months to wait until I can dig myself out of this $ hole and even pick up my deuce. It's on my list of projects once she comes home, maybe I will try to find a workable belt driven pump when I do mine.

jesusgatos

Oh, well then you should definitely go talk to the guys at Sweet about putting one of their servos. It's the best way I'm aware of to add ram-assist to a steering system that doesn't have a power-steering box. The most difficult part would be splicing something like that into the enclosed steering column housing. Still much simpler than adapting another steering box and having to modify or fabricate a custom pitman arm, draglink, etc. When it's all said and done, one of those servos would direct hydraulic fluid to an axle-mounted ram just like any power-steering box that's been tapped for ram-assist ports. Should provide all the power of a full-hydro system while maintaining a mechanical steering linkage, which I know some people are really concerned about. Like I mentioned, the only disadvantage I see is in applications where the steering linkage limits suspension performance, but that's way beyond the scope of what most deuce owners are doing with their trucks. Telling you guys, I think that's the hot ticket...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys hit on most of the ones I know about. Eastern is the other vender that offers a hydro system. Seeing as how our trucks are no where near "main stream", I would consider that "alot".

JasonS

Garrison Manufacturing as listed earlier in the thread makes a hyd kit that works just like the air assist only hyd.
Their catalog shows all of the components; but they make a dedicated kit too? When I asked about just the valve, the cost was $1200!

dozer1

Their catalog shows all of the components; but they make a dedicated kit too? When I asked about just the valve, the cost was $1200!
They didn't make a dedicated kit as of a year ago and I doubt they do now. The reason I know this is because I had been in contact with them several times to put together a dedicated kit for the M35A2. I was trying to get a few different companies in the steering world to do it. It looks like they don't think they will sell enough of them and that deuce owners wouldn't want to pay what it would take.

Since then, the kit has been done like gimpy said. I don't know the cost, but they are right up there. 32-3500? is that right? Those other companies might have been on to something. Hey Heath. One of the more promising companies that "just about" took this on was in Mi. PM me if you want to know who they were.

Kohburn

Are you talking about something like these? Think that might be the hot setup for any application where the suspension won't exceed the limitations of the stock steering linkage. Anyway, that's almost definitely how I would have done it...
that is the setup I plan to run - minimal modifications. retains the stock box and functionality, can still go to a longer stearing link if desired.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could put together and offer a kit. The problem is that most of y'all wouldn't pay for it. Steering components aren't cheap. Partly due to the liability involved. I'd have to have a huge liability policy to sell steering components that I built and extensive testing would have to be done to make sure it was safe. I'm not even sure you wouldn't have to have DOT approval to do it. The bottom line is, I'm not going to do it.

That leaves us with the only "cheap" option of finding a old power steering box and making it fit.

Heath_h49008

I think the pump is a weaker link in the modification chain than the gearbox. The 5ton multifuel pumps seem to be like hens teeth. To do a belt driven would require a double belt pulley and a design that wouldn't limit belt contact on anything else in the system. I just don't think a cheap Saginaw pump off a Chevy has the guts for the application... I may be wrong.

Alternate solution... adapter that would allow a common pump to run in the same location as a 5 Ton... I have no idea how specialized these components might be, or if there is anything still available from the Oliver tractors that also used this engine. It would be expensive to fabricate.

For a gearbox we know we can run the HF 54 and they can be had fairly easily.

Smaller steering wheels?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think the pump is a weaker link in the modification chain than the gearbox. The 5ton multifuel pumps seem to be like hens teeth. To do a belt driven would require a double belt pulley and a design that wouldn't limit belt contact on anything else in the system. I just don't think a cheap Saginaw pump off a Chevy has the guts for the application... I may be wrong.

Alternate solution... adapter that would allow a common pump to run in the same location as a 5 Ton... I have no idea how specialized these components might be, or if there is anything still available from the Oliver tractors that also used this engine. It would be expensive to fabricate.

For a gearbox we know we can run the HF 54 and they can be had fairly easily.

Smaller steering wheels?
I know a guy put one of the saginaw boxes on that was tapped for an assist ram and has run 1400s on a bobber. The 5ton multi pumps are everywhere, its just finding the gear and mounting palte that are the issues.

Oh, well then you should definitely go talk to the guys at Sweet about putting one of their servos. It's the best way I'm aware of to add ram-assist to a steering system that doesn't have a power-steering box. The most difficult part would be splicing something like that into the enclosed steering column housing. Still much simpler than adapting another steering box and having to modify or fabricate a custom pitman arm, draglink, etc. When it's all said and done, one of those servos would direct hydraulic fluid to an axle-mounted ram just like any power-steering box that's been tapped for ram-assist ports. Should provide all the power of a full-hydro system while maintaining a mechanical steering linkage, which I know some people are really concerned about. Like I mentioned, the only disadvantage I see is in applications where the steering linkage limits suspension performance, but that's way beyond the scope of what most deuce owners are doing with their trucks. Telling you guys, I think that's the hot ticket...
...sounds like the hot ticket to me. I'm looking into all of the parts and pieces to go that way

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................. Still much simpler than adapting another steering box and having to modify or fabricate a custom pitman arm, draglink, etc. When it's all said and done, one of those servos would direct hydraulic fluid to an axle-mounted ram just like any power-steering box that's been tapped for ram-assist ports. Should provide all the power of a full-hydro system while maintaining a mechanical steering linkage, which I know some people are really concerned about. Like I mentioned, the only disadvantage I see is in applications where the steering linkage limits suspension performance, but that's way beyond the scope of what most deuce owners are doing with their trucks. Telling you guys, I think that's the hot ticket...
You (and others also) seem to forget that the stock steering box has a relatively high ratio and combined with the very short pitman arm it still will take a LOT of wheel turning, no matter how much "ram-assist"you got. (unless that stock pitman arm was replaced with a much longer one...?)

Direct and quick response is the ticket... when it comes to avoiding a sudden obstacle or potholes on unpaved roads... IMHO.
With the stock steering gear & p.arm it takes almost 2/3 turns (!) at the wheel to move the draglink 1 inch, starting from center position.

See it in comparison with the HF54 box, below...

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks