• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hydraulic power steering kit

jesusgatos

sorry, i meant pitman arm
Why? To speed-up the steering? Probably not a good idea. You need to maintain the right geometry of the steering linkage (pitman arm, drag-link & steering arm on knuckle) relative to the suspension linkage (front half of the leafsprings) or bumpsteer will increase and that's bad, mmmkay... Would be much better off using something like one of those steering quickeners I linked to in a previous post.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure you could stack pumps. There's barely enough room between the block and the radiator to get one pump.

jesusgatos

Probably not with the stock radiator in the stock location, no. But I've got an A3 hood, so have to make a new grill to work with that, and am planning on adding an intercooler and a few other custom touches anyway. Custom/modified radiator wouldn't be any trouble. Cool to know it might be possible on the engine side of things anyway.

dozer1

I'm not sure you could stack pumps. There's barely enough room between the block and the radiator to get one pump.
That's what I was thinking too. I have never installed one, but have heard that you need to do a bit of shroud trimming to put on a 5 ton pump. I sure agree tho that as long as you can get one with a gear and ready to bolt on, there could be no beter solution. If someone is getting ready to mass produce kits, manufacturing that flange and gear would be an awesome answer if the pump is still common.
I bet by the time someone puts this kit together, they will see why the ones available are 3500.00 (gotta have some profit and pay liability ins too)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
m16ty started another thread about this, can we get the mods to put all these threads about steering under one main header? ALL the parts are available, the limiting factor is only money and can you drill holes? i have a hyd kit that is the same or less money than the air assist. a complete bolt on kit with as much or as little as you want. it will be on my web site by 3/30

tom

Bolkbich

Why? To speed-up the steering? Probably not a good idea. You need to maintain the right geometry of the steering linkage (pitman arm, drag-link & steering arm on knuckle) relative to the suspension linkage (front half of the leafsprings) or bumpsteer will increase and that's bad, mmmkay... Would be much better off using something like one of those steering quickeners I linked to in a previous post.
Ive used longer pitman arms to quicken the steering. It worked very well. On a straight axle Bump steer is caused by the height difference between the pitman arm and the steering knuckle. The further above the knuckle the pitman arm is ,the worse it will bump steer. The longer pitman arm made my 1987 truck feel like a 2005 by steering that much quicker.

jesusgatos

Bumpsteer is actually caused by a difference in the relationship between the steering linkage and the suspension linkage. Ideally, the suspension and steering linkage would be the same length and the geometry of each would allow them to remain parallel to each other through the whole range of suspension travel. That's easiest to accomplish when using crossover steering (draglink connected to the pass-side knuckle) and a panhard bar. On our deuces, the simplest way to thing about it would be to consider the front half of the leafsprings the 'suspension linkage'. Make sense?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
given the stiff suspension i doubt it is a significant factor, however my drag link parallels the spring making it a non issue. offroad you probably would not ever be going fast enough anyway!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks