• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydro assist to manual steering

Unforgiven

Instead of doing a power steering swap or a full-hydro conversion, has anyone considered a hydraulic ram-assist piggybacked on top of the stock Deuce manual steering?

It seems that would be a viable solution to power steering without even touching the original setup.

A bolt-on steering column adapter, once calibrated, could meter the hydraulic fluid to the ram. It could even be calibrated via a sort of rag-joint setup to give hydro before the manual effort was required.

In effect it would be full-hydro steering but with the security of the manual system left fully in tact and functional.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have seen systems like that. Someone has a kit that you put the thingy on the steering column and add a ram, but it is astronomical. I have also seen where someone put a saginaw power steering box on a deuce and had it tapped to accept hoses that ran a hydro ram. He said it worked very well. His was a shorty and had 395s or 1400s on it.

tm america

The one i have pictured is from a old combine.. I have seen this set up on some tractor to.. the old f 250s used a similar set up but it was a little small for a deuce

tm america

It functions as a manual drag link if the hydro set up fails..the pic has a deuce drag link to show the size comparison and how it could be adapted..

tm america

question about the steering valve set up? It looks like it is a hydro motor with a valve built into it.Does it require anything other than a pump and the unit itself? Or is it just a control valve to opperate a hydro cylinder?

sewerzuk

question about the steering valve set up? It looks like it is a hydro motor with a valve built into it.Does it require anything other than a pump and the unit itself? Or is it just a control valve to opperate a hydro cylinder?
My understanding is that it only requires a pump. I had looked into this on my deuce before I did my hydro setup.
It looks really slick...if the deuce's column wasn't a continuous tube it would have been REALLY tempting.

deathrowdave

This the style that I used on my conversion. It has a control valve/draglink assembly that replaces your draglink. I used a 5ton multi pump. Garrison steering control valve/draglink, 5ton steering ram(cylinder) attached to the tie rod. Works great , didn't have to remove stock steering box. If it blows a hose I stll have stock steering !!! You can turn the steering wheel with ease. Mine came from a junk fire truck . Early C40-60 Chevrolet / GMC trucks used the same thing. Large amount of soft drink trucks in junk with this steering. Check it out on Utube !!! Pm with questions if I can help. BE safe ,Dave (www.garrison steering.com) [thumbzup]

deathrowdave

M35a2 Power Steering . I may have some pictures if I can still find them . I posted pictures on here when I was fabing and installing it. Try some power steering searchs. Almost works too good !!! Pm me with qyestions I will try to help install . Thousands of them out there " early pop trucks " 8) " PM I may not look at all posts "

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
for all the work involved, you might as well just put real power steering on it. all the parts are easily available and there are 2 boxes that fit really well. it has been covered here 100's of times

tom

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks