• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydro assist to manual steering

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I had my 48 Mack tractor, I installed a power steering set up that came off a old FORD dump truck, about a 3t or 4t or so, the pump just mounts as any pump but the cylinder attached to the frame and to the tie rod, the cylinder had a sensing valve that pick up the tie rod movement and allowed the cylinder to pull/push the tie rod. After the install the steering went from arm strong to one hand . It took more time making the pump mounts for the 220 then it did for the install. drill a hole or two in the frame, CLAMP to the tie rod, run hoses, adjust valve. done

Amram

Would anyone be willing to create a "how to" tutorial for those of us who are retarded when it comes to subjects like this. Give me a procedure I can do anything.[thumbzup]

cj06

for all the work involved, you might as well just put real power steering on it. all the parts are easily available and there are 2 boxes that fit really well. it has been covered here 100's of times

tom

any info on the 2 boxes would be welcomed if possible , thanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
both the ross and the saginaw box provide almost equal power. i chose to use the saginaw in my kit since i had done several on my own trucks. there is a lot of info including instructions on my website.
tom

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
any info on the 2 boxes would be welcomed if possible , thanks
Sounds like you are really NEW here...? no hello, no short intro, nothing... should I say welcome...?

Anyway, you better believe it when a forum veteran says: ...."it has been covered here 100's of times" (Tom seems to be in a good mood today... :))

Just type in "Saginaw 710" or "Ross HF54" and hit the Search-button... you will be gladly rewarded...!

"Any info..." : naaah, instead of expecting someone to write it all down - again...( !) I would suggest a bit of reading, first (also see many related links , all listed here)
Of course you can always find more specific info and specs in the catalogs from the remanufacturing business, like the ones attached, below.
And of course we will try our best to possibly answer anything still unclear....!

Oh, and we also welcome any new info, if possible... :)

G.

Attachments

Trango

I built a similar system as one of the last steering setups I put on the "original" M35, before I started fresh. I used an HFB52 box, which is tapped for hydraulic ports. I then mounted a ram behind the axle, bolting it to the steering box.

I must admit - although the box itself is power, I used the ram because I was afraid of the force it might exert on the frame, and I didn't want to snap box off the frame rail. After build and implementation, I realized that adding the ram was overkill, and the extra volume requested by the ram probably overtaxed the pump I was using.

My advice echoes earlier posts that would advise any new system to simply use a standard power assist box, and don't worry about pushing fluid to a ram. The best part about a standard steering box, especially one that's outside of the frame rails, is that you get to ditch the "impaler" steering column that runs down to that fixed box on the front frame rail (that's the Ralph Nader in me talking).

Best,
Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks