• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am no longer deuceless...includes pics

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After close to a decade of waiting, I now have my very own deuce. It's sitting outside my window right now.

I've wanted one since my Dad got me interested in them (and MV's in general), telling me stories of his time in the service (Army, '64-'67). But I have never had either the money or a place to put it (or both) to get one.

Last year I bought my first house and I looked for 2 years for a house that had a big enough property to build a big detached garage and had room for a deuce.

So, on almost the 14th month of home ownership, I've added a giant eyesore to my property rofl rofl

I am really happy with the truck, it's a '67 Kaiser Jeep M35A2. New 465-1D in '89 or so, new late-style headgaskets in 2003. Airshift, winch, west coast mirrors, seat belt upgrade, etc. 2 year old canvas for the cab and the cargo bed. Got all the bows and whatnot, they just aren't pictured. Got an average 105 thrown in, it's an A1 model and pretty well used. The truck also has a dump conversion, which will be mighty helpful for all of my yardwork projects I have planned (and apparently, a few my Dad has planned).

I'll need a few things for the truck, like new windshields and a paint job eventually, but for now, it's a good driver. I think the brakes may be getting to the end of their life, as the pedal is pretty low. Stops the truck fine, but the pedal needs to be higher. Shifting action is stiff....grinded once on the way home, but that may have been user error. I also want to mimic Gerhard's bed hinge method so I can regain the stock bumperette's and pintle hook.

At this time, I really should thank Steel Soldiers and all the great people I have met here and learned from. Everyday, I learn something new. When I first started posting and asked a question about bidding on a truck from GL, two different guys who didn't know me from Adam offered to towbar my find home (RDM & 73M819). Joel (BFR) has gone with me on multiple Deuce missions and without his help, I would still be deuceless. Mangus580, Recovry4x4, RDixieMiller, Cranetruck and countless others have answered innumerable questions for me and made this a lot more pleasurable and a lot less risky (good tech support is only a click away). So to you guys and all of Steel Soldiers, I say thanks.

Hope you enjoy the pics (and video)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7116373330924281693

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1087223482581728423

Also, here is a link to all of the pics from today's adventure:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/clinto1/My M35A2/?start=all

Attachments

ah1955

I am no longer deuceless

Real nice looking truck and sounds like a good runner that will give you different projects to do yet can still take her out for a drive while you plan the next quality time in the shop.
I wish you luck and enjoy your new big green toy.

Deuceswild

Congradulations Clinto!

Looks like a nice machine! What did you think of those NDT Tires in that rain, looks like it was pooring by the looks of the pic when you were fueling your truck, Very Happy for you!
Jeff.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: I am no longer deuceless

Hey clinto's got a duece! Drink one for me!

Got any pics of the dump?

Dennis

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Congrats Clinto. Now the sleepless nights really begin. You'll be laying in bed thinking about something then before you know it, you're out in the yard in your boxers with a flashlight checking something out. BTW, I'll bring you some new light lenses for the dash so you can get rid of the red dots. Looking good

houdel

Looks real good. Brakes may just need adjustment, check the TM section for the procedure. It is pretty well detailed in TM 9-2320-316-20, page 8-22.

Many gauge problems (in fact, MOST Deuce electrical problems) are caused by poor grounds. Regardless of what anyone else says or what you may think you see by looking at a Deuce wiring diagram, ALL GAUGES HAVE TO BE GROUNDED! I've been bitten by the bad gauge ground bug so many times that the next time I have to pull my gauge panel out, I'm going to take a handfull of ring terminals and a roll of wire and run a ground wire from each gauge mounting bracket stud to a secure chassis ground and put that baby to bed FOREVER!

Had a problem with my fuel gauge also, even after taking care of the grounding problem. If correcting the grounding does not get your fuel gauge working, you might want to try the diagnostics I described in http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6681. Pay particular attention to the voltage readings I reported. My first "quicky" check led my to the erroneous belief I needed a new fuel sender. After some judicious work with the VOM I was able to solve my problem with a new fuel gauge at half the price and a lot less work!

vtdeucedriver

congrats clinto, you'll like the deuce. Hope you will keep the semi gloss paint job........if you want a quick freshen up, spray some WD40 on it. It will bring back the paint for about a month.

CGarbee

It's a nice truck... I know it well (I have had it glued to my bumper on more than one East Coast Convoy and I expect to see it behind me in the future (say, sandwiched between Kenny and myself with Graham running up alongside with his camera...).
You got yourself a great rig...
Best wishes.

m3a1_ht

Congrats Clinto - Nice ride!

Regarding dressing up paint... Any reason to not use a 50/50 ATF+kerosene bath on it. I do it a couple of times a year to my HT and everyone raves about the "new paint job." Note: it does *not* attract babes. People in white short seem to be compelled to sit on the anti-ditching roller, though.

houdel

Forget the Johnson's baby oil. ANY Deuce, especially a whistler, is a babe magnet. If they aren't attracted to it, they are not worth your time!

rdixiemiller

A retired USMC Gunny who works for me says they used to put a few drops of diesel fuel on a rag and give the trucks a good wipe down before inspection. He said the diesel would make the tyrucks look great for a couple of weeks.
Nice looking ride Clint!
Touch up the dots on the dash light lenses with a dab of paint. That's how mine are in my truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: the trailer BFR mentioned....As we were on I-20 West, a car passes us (I think a CR-V, but I can't remember now for sure). As it passes, to my amazement, I realize someone has taken an old Dodge Carvan (or was it a Plymouth Voyager) minivan and chopped off the front right behind the front doors and converted it into a trailer! The same way some guys will take an old pickup truck bed and turn it into a trailer, using the stock frame and axles. I guess if you need a cheap enclosed trailer rofl

Re: the dump

Of course I can show some pics! I got some video of it going up and down so that you can get an idea of how long it takes. Notice the safety device which can be added to the scissors assembly (to keep it locked in the upright position).

Here is the bed going up.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3741023654054626607

Ok, if the pictures of the safety lock don't make sense, watch this short video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2605365696332283190

Bed coming down:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1574415687067671665

Attachments

rice

When I converted mine to a dump, I had to move the bumperettes down 3" to keep from bending them and I moved the bed back one inch to clear the pintle hook.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks