• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am now an OIL BURNER!!!

Smokinyoda

Finally got my filter system finished and tried it out tonight. I pre-filter the wmo through 2 pair of jeans, one inside the other with the ends tied into knots.

Then I pump it using a sbc oil pump through a 10 micron wix filter, right into my truck. Added 20 gallons of wmo to about 10 gallons of clean diesel and went for a drive.

Truck is definitely quieter than before, with just a little more smoke.

But there is a definite loss of power that I wasn't expecting. Always thought my truck was odd, never had to downshift up hills, could actually accelerate if they weren't to steep. Could do 65 while at 2300 rpm's (prolly thanks to the 47" xml's).

Now I really have to wind her out before shifting, and I may have to re-think taking off in 2nd gear to keep from lugging the engine. Will change the filters first chance I get, but they aren't even a year old, with less than 1000 miles on them. It also still starts and idles fine.

Don't want to turn the fuel up, will stay with straight diesel before I do that. Just strange as most posts I have read most noted no significant loss of power. Was in the mid 60s today so temp shouldn't have been an issue.

Maybe the filter change will help. The way fuel prices are climbing I was really looking forward to this being a reason to drive the deuce more.:-?

Last edited:

RAYZER

I run some too,she usually runs just fine with not to much power loss, but the other day I could only max out at 50mph,can usually run 55,sometimes 59! I've owned the truck for a year and their the original filters (new oil and filters when I bought it) with 4000 miles on them! I guess its time to put on a new set..... Whats a sbc oil pump?

dozer1

I run some too,she usually runs just fine with not to much power loss, but the other day I could only max out at 50mph,can usually run 55,sometimes 59! I've owned the truck for a year and their the original filters (new oil and filters when I bought it) with 4000 miles on them! I guess its time to put on a new set..... Whats a sbc oil pump?
small block chevy

JCKnife

I definitely noticed a slight loss of power going up hills with WMO, but really only going up hills.

Odd thing for me was, I seem to smoke LESS now.

Whatever, still loving it.

kentuckycucv

I have no power loss in my 6.2 diesel... Im adding wmo, and WVO just have a pre heated fuel filter before the stock filter... the only time I had power loss was because of dirty fuel filters.

RAYZER

Yep. 1972 AMGeneral deuce. Hard to see it on the avatar pic but its the one on the back of the trailer
I see by your profile that you farm soybeans and corn,you could produce some alternative fuel from that and dump it in the tank,lol! What would be the gpm of a sbc oil pump at say 1000 rpm's at the pump shaft?

bill2444

I have only driven my own m-35, but it seems to be very powerful. Fuel pump still has the safety wire on the bolts so it hasn't been turned up. With my wmo setup I have no loss of power at all. And i thinks it smoothes out and even runs a little bit better. Though my aux fuel doesn't run through the truck filters but has it's own separate feed lines and filter/water separator.

dozer1

I see by your profile that you farm soybeans and corn,you could produce some alternative fuel from that and dump it in the tank,lol! What would be the gpm of a sbc oil pump at say 1000 rpm's at the pump shaft?
Maybe the OP knows about the output of the pump. I do know that they sell high volume racing pumps for around 40-50 bucks.
I am a shareholder in a biodiesel plant in my area. It is designed to make biodiesel from soybean oil. Currently the price of beans is too high for the plant to run. It is just sitting there mothballed. That sucks but I am glad my beans are worth something. :)

I personally filter my oil a little more intensively. I first let it cycle through a 10 or less micron filter for enough time to let the entire volume of oil have several passes through this filter to give it a near absolute 10 micron filter rating. A single pass will only give you nominal 10 micron filter. True that each make of filters has a different single pass efficientcy, and some are pretty good, it still will make a significant difference no matter what; this is because say you have a 97% single pass efficientcy filter, that means that you have 3% percent per volume of particles over 10 microns in your fuel and they will quickly build up and clog your filters or worse damage your injection pump/system. After letting it cycle, I then change out the 10 micron for a 10 micron water absorbing filter and add a second 3 micron filter for a single pass before I then add a little diesel and howes diesel treat for truck readiness.
Do not take it lightly, this is not rocket science but our trucks will run on great fuel, and for a time down right garbage, sometimes our men need to get back on flats and whiskey. In other words fuel is meant to be very clean and to get there from wmo is not difficult, it just takes diligence and patience.
If I may offer two little suggestions. First run your outlet line back to your wmo to let it pass multiple times. Secondly use a water removing filter as well as your particulate filter.

Last edited:

bill2444

Good advise^
I filter down to 1/2 micron and dewater before it hits the aux tank. Then filtered/water seperator in system (2 micron) My fuel shoud be cleaner and drier than you get from the pump.

panshark

OP-do you know exactly what WMO you're running? If you've got gear lube or something thick in there, that might be part of your problem. IMHO, I think heat has a lot to do with it, i.e. you're too cold for your mixture. Either thin it with more diesel or possibly lesser quantities of gasoline, or...pre-heat your fuel tank before driving it? If you get your fuel temp to 100, 110 and you're running like a champ, then there's your problem.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running "old" (new 10yo sealed drums) hydraulic fluid in my deuce. I have tried running anything from 10% to 90% hydraulic fluid to diesel. I cut the hyd fluid with gas on the higher concentrates. The one thing that I have noticed is that she needs to be REAL warm to get going good. For the first 10 miles or so, she does NOT climb above 1900RPM.

Warm her up REAL good and see if that solves your problem, if not, change your filters.

Good Luck and welcome to the club!

bill2444

The veggie oil guys say that the oil temp should be close to 180 degrees for good combustion. The hotter the oil gets the thinner it becomes. Thinner = more like viscosity of diesel fuel. Also helps with carbon build up. I am running a engine coolant heat exchanger in the aux tank and fuel lines running to IP switching valve.

Just tore apart the plumbing yesterday to install a electric resistance heater right before the IP to insure 180 oil and reduce my switch over time. ( normally i let it come up to 160 engine temp before i switch over and let it idle down the 5 min on straight diesel to purge the IP of oil before shutting off)

Not sure if 180 degree oil temp is necessary with a multi-fuel though with its higher compression, but will help out me when ambient temps are below 0 degrees. Will do some posting if this mod when I'm done makes any noticeable difference.

A

A/C Cages

Or just live here in Florida where the fuel seems to prewarmed by nature. lol

panshark

Or just live here in Florida where the fuel seems to prewarmed by nature. lol
There's a lot of wisdom in that statement. Best way to jump into Alternative fuels is to EASE into it, start with a bit of wmo, and work your way up to your threshold of engine performance. It can be done any time of the year.

Start off with a mostly full tank, drop in a gallon or 2 of WMO, and drive for a bit. (Why start so low? You'll notice the effects of "a little goes a long way.") After driving for a bit, maybe add in 5 more gallons. By this point, you've got a warm engine, try some hills, go about 30 miles away from the house, stop, throw in another 5 gallons (you've brought some black gold with you) and go back to the house.

Use this process and you'll find a happy medium of fuel savings, engine performance, and pride in recycling.

Note: when doing this experiment, try not to add diesel every time you add WMO. In this manner, you will have increasingly larger percentages of WMO in your fuel. A good idea would be to haul a 5-gallon can of gas with you, that way you can thin it down quickly if you get into trouble with a mixture too thick for your truck to guzzle.

Smokinyoda

Took her out for a 2 hour drive, temps in the upper 70's. Was a little bit better than last night, so maybe it is a viscosity issue. Don't think it's the filters since idle and startup is about the same.

Will add 5 gallons of gas when I dump in the 20 gallons of wmo I finished filtering today, see if that helps. Gravity filtering through blue jeans is very time consuming, but wanted to make sure truck would run ok before sinking alot of money into a more advanced filtering system. Eventually I want to get a centrifuge, but gonna take alot of talking to convince my better half of the need for a $800 piece of equipment.:shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks