• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am trying to find a way to get more cab space out of mu deuce.

Lonesome715

In my quest to make our deuce more versatile I am trying to figure out a way to make the cab comfortable for the three of use while traveling. My dilemma is I do not want to sacrifice bed space but I also do not want to stretch the frame. So, the only reasonable solution I can come up with is taking the first three feet out of the bed and building a “sleeper” for a lack of a better term. I have seen the crew cab conversions and they look good. But that is not what I am going for. I want to keep the reduced bad space within that three feet. I want more of an extended cab. I apologize for the crude photo editing but I do not have much more to work with. I think I at least got the point across of what I have in mind. Do any of you have anything to add? I would love to hear some suggestions.

Attachments

I think the extended cab would be more useful, look better, and be easier to utilize since you wouldn't have to physically get out of the cab to use the extra space. Looking over the crewcab designs on here, I would think you could get the extended cab effect by reversing the rear doors, and making them shorter, suicide doors, then basically doing everything else the same as the crewcab, but a little shorter design to keep it in the 3' space of which you speak. Suicide doors on a deuce - wouldn't that be cool?

Burgerboy13

I have thought of the 36inch bunk idea. I think you could move the rear tandems back a little bit to gain about a foot more of bed space, as well as move the bed its self back past the frame. Add some lockouts and your turning radius shouldn't suffer too bad. The one thing with going with a commercial bunk is that most of them are smooth while the deuce is angular which i think would look out of place on a deuce. Just my 2cents

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need an M36 like mine, 17' of frame behind the cab. I have considered a sleeper with a standard 12' regular drop side.

Lonesome715

I did not think of installing doors on the rear section. That does sound awsome. And, I bet it would not require that much more in fab work. I was consdiering the idea od a semi sleeper. But I do nto think it would serve the dual purpose I am looking for. I need more than just a place to rest. I need an area I can access while inside the truck and to keep the child contained during trips. If it was a tractor, the idea in the picture would be perfect. Because I do plan to use this truck off road I really prefer to keep it the length it is. I do not want to lose any bed space but I figured I am still better off with nine feet of bed than I would be with an eight foot bed on a pick up truck. Not to mention it is two feet wider as well.

Lonesome715

Originally, That is what I wanted to do. I fianlly decided against it when I relaized how well this truck can support our hobbies. Well, as soon as I over come the limited cab space anyway.

bigugh20

I've been considering something along the same lines, but for different reasons. I am 6'7" tall, and need some extra leg room, well at least I will if I ever get my truck.

Lonesome715

That is very realistic. But I want to avoid making the truck any longer. Although, I have been out there taning measurements and I think I might reconsider that.

Jakob

That is very realistic. But I want to avoid making the truck any longer. Although, I have been out there taning measurements and I think I might reconsider that.
I wouldn't consider the bed hanging out 3' to be much longer. I think it would be a perfect combination of what you're trying to do.

Jakob

I think I might agree with you. I have been looking at some more options. Losing three feet of bed space does not appeal to me at all.
On top of it all, if it turns out that you do not like the bed hanging over 3'... it's always easier to cut it off then instead of trying to add it back on if you change your mind the other way.

Lonesome715

That is very true. I think the best thing for me to do is pull the bed all together and do the cab mods. When that is complete I set the bed back on and see what I can do with it. So now the question is, what am I to do with the cab?

Jakob

That is very true. I think the best thing for me to do is pull the bed all together and do the cab mods. When that is complete I set the bed back on and see what I can do with it. So now the question is, what am I to do with the cab?
I say leave it, add the sleeper on. I got curious and found a sleeper near me for $600obo. If you add on a sleeper and don't like the extra bed hanging over, cut it off after taking a look. I think the sleeper is a really good idea. It's easier than adding in a crew cab.

Lonesome715

Is it a coghin style sleeper? If it was just my wife and I would agree that a sleeper would be a btter choice. But I am concerned with having seating room for our five year old. And it would be nice to use it has a place to rest while on the road as well. In a since, I would like to turn it into a family vehicle much like our extended cab pick up trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks